Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 12.1.1 few days ago and today was the first time I tried AP since. All of the sudden the car started slowing down to less than 50 mph when TACC set to 65 mph. No cars in front of me and no curvature of the highway. I pressed the accelerator to increase the speed and all of the sudden I got then “red hands on steering wheel alarm and “cruise not available” message. After that neither TACC nor autosteer were available. Rebooted MCU and power cycled the car without benefit. When I hit some traffic later on, both TACC and autosteer were available again then then the same problem occurred later at higher speeds.

Anyone else experienced this with the new update? I have never had this issue with this car (Dec 2016, AP 2.0, MCU1). Thx.
An update to my previous post: been talking to service center and this is what I received by text today: “Your concern is a known firmware issue that is currently under investigation by Tesla and will be resolved in a future firmware update. Since this is not an issue that requires component replacement, or any physical work be completed on your vehicle, I am going to cancel your upcoming service visit. Thank you.

This is very annoying. How many other people are having the same issue? I know of 2 other owners on this thread. Are we supposed to just wait for a fw fix that may not come for few weeks?

This is very annoying. How many other people are having the same issue? I know of 2 other owners on this thread. Are we supposed to just wait for a fw fix that may not come for few weeks?

Yes. Sit down and enjoy the wait. If they pushed a fix for it too soon, it would just break something else.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If you keep coming back to this forum(and get educated on these issues), you will keep having this problem.

Yep, had autopilot disappear on me today too. No option to re-enable it for about 10 minutes and additionally, the high beams were on. I had people flashing me as it was daylight but I had my high beams on. I'm guessing the wipers probably wouldn't have worked either. As soon as the high beams turned off (as did the regular headlights since they weren't needed) autopilot was available again. 2019.12.1.1 AP2.

Are we supposed to just wait for a fw fix that may not come for few weeks?

Well what is the other option? It isn't like the people at the service center can do anything about it.

The only option would be to downgrade the firmware and Tesla can't, or won't, do that. This is why some people won't install a release when they first get prompted for it. They wait until other people have had it a while and report on if it is a good update or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: T3SLA90D
Well what is the other option? It isn't like the people at the service center can do anything about it.

The only option would be to downgrade the firmware and Tesla can't, or won't, do that. This is why some people won't install a release when they first get prompted for it. They wait until other people have had it a while and report on if it is a good update or not.

If you don't know what to search for you won't find out anyway before you upgrade. I didn't know several days ago either.

Other's still having the memory leak issue on 2019.12.1.1 where text starts disappearing from the screen on the MCU? Even after a reboot sometimes it still lingers. I was hoping this would get fixed with this update. Last one I had prior was 2018.50.6 and that seemed to handle the memory leak better than this new update.

Yep, had autopilot disappear on me today too. No option to re-enable it for about 10 minutes and additionally, the high beams were on. I had people flashing me as it was daylight but I had my high beams on. I'm guessing the wipers probably wouldn't have worked either. As soon as the high beams turned off (as did the regular headlights since they weren't needed) autopilot was available again. 2019.12.1.1 AP2.
This happened again today for about 5 minutes. This time it was raining and indeed the autowipers did nothing. I could still override them by setting it higher on the wiper stalk. It self corrected again.

Other's still having the memory leak issue on 2019.12.1.1 where text starts disappearing from the screen on the MCU? Even after a reboot sometimes it still lingers. I was hoping this would get fixed with this update. Last one I had prior was 2018.50.6 and that seemed to handle the memory leak better than this new update.

Yes, and very strange thing last night around 2200 - We heard a very loud music coming from the garage.
Looked and the sun roof was wide open, and audio was 100% loud. The main Display was going crazy with all kinds of painting stuff that made no sense. Had to reboot. So when do you submit a bug report, while it is going crazy or after the reboot.?

Tesla restructures Autopilot software team, Elon takes the reins

Perhaps he's been reading our posts... Or more likely perhaps he's been experiencing it himself.
Makes sense.

Finding exceptionally good programmers is hard. Most programmers are just average, do what they are told and rarely have a visionary overview of how the system should become. Only a few are special.

I have a feeling they will need a team of just the 5% best programmers. Smart people like to work with other smart people. This adds value to a team rather than "keyboard extenders" that just write the code you tell them to write. Naturally the rest figure they don't fit in, or are asked to go do something else. Not surprisingly really for such ambitious goals.

What memory leak do you speak of? How did you determine that the issue is a "memory leak"? What do you mean "handle the memory leak" better?