Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a separate thread for this, but after downloading the 2019.16.1.1 firmware update three days ago, I've discovered a couple of problems with my radio: 1) I can't access the SXM channel menu, nor a separate FM or AM channel menu (the panel on the screen only shows my FM, AM and SXM "Favorites"; and 2) I can't manually tune in AM or FM radio stations. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I have a 2015 Model S, by the way, and yes, I've already tried rebooting.

Since receiving the upgrade from 16.1 to 16.2, I have had three separate phantom braking incidents while traveling under overpasses and an overhead highway sign. One of them really pissed off a pickup behind me who I am sure thought I was brake-checking him for following too close.

I am hoping its just a calibration issue, but not enjoyable going back to the mysterious phantom braking days of prior releases.

Also, issues regarding Bluetooth call connection/volume and random music playing in the background on my iPhone Xs Max are still around, and have been for several of the past updates.
I was wondering if we would see this come back as an issue due to the AP accident in Florida that the driver died.
Truck trailers are apparently difficult to correctly identify by AP and look to a computer to be very much like a bridge overpass.
I understand the proportions aren’t the same but distance and wether it’s looking downslope or upslope etc it can be confused.
I think they may be going back to the more conservative decision.
Or I could be crazy and don’t know WTH I’m talking about.

Reactions: Siggy101
I was wondering if we would see this come back as an issue due to the AP accident in Florida that the driver died.
Truck trailers are apparently difficult to correctly identify by AP and look to a computer to be very much like a bridge overpass.
I understand the proportions aren’t the same but distance and wether it’s looking downslope or upslope etc it can be confused.
I think they may be going back to the more conservative decision.
Or I could be crazy and don’t know WTH I’m talking about.
I think you’re right. Welcome to the phantom braking roller coaster.

Accident -> “why doesn’t Autopilot treat any slight chance of collision seriously???” -> phantom braking -> “my stupid car flinches for non threatening things. This is dangerous” -> turn off braking logic.

2019.12.2 seems to have broken my Auto Lane Change.
As you can see from the error message it says "Auto Lane Change Inhibited. Please unlatch turn indicator".
I have a March 2016 Model X 75D with 2.0 hardware. I am in New Zealand and none of the restrictions such as have been enabled in Europe were notified or should apply. Anyone else seen this?
IMG_7830.jpg

Reactions: Jjdsyd
Received 2019.16.2. After a good 40 mins later the update completed but I had the Upgrade In progress window displayed. Was able to put it into drive while still showing that message and the ‘Software Upgrade Required’ on the dashboard. While driving both screens went black and later rebooted. I have since submitted a request to have the firmware redeployed. The car shows I’m on 2019.16.2

View media item 119769
View media item 119768

Today, my car updated from v9 2019.16.1.1 697c2ff to 2019.16.2 73d3f3c. The release notes showing the same as 16.1.1, i.e., Software Updates Preference and the Swedish Language Support.

I was surprised the download size was small and only 95.3 MB.

As you can see from the error message it says "Auto Lane Change Inhibited. Please unlatch turn indicator".
I have a March 2016 Model X 75D with 2.0 hardware. I am in New Zealand and none of the restrictions such as have been enabled in Europe were notified or should apply. Anyone else seen this?
View attachment 410833

I started getting this message as well. What I came to realise was that auto lane change no longer supports the 'full indicator', but rather just the 'partial, non-click' indicator activation. Not sure how better to express that, but ALC still works for me after adjusting my usage - just need to lightly activate the turn signal, rather than 'click it on'. Not sure how we were to know that!

I started getting this message as well. What I came to realise was that auto lane change no longer supports the 'full indicator', but rather just the 'partial, non-click' indicator activation. Not sure how better to express that, but ALC still works for me after adjusting my usage - just need to lightly activate the turn signal, rather than 'click it on'. Not sure how we were to know that!
Being informed would have been nice. However this does make sense - it means you're telling AP you're turning rather than just changing lane.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sorry for the newbie question - I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but would someone mind to provide a primer about software versions and the update process? I just received a Model 3 a week ago and it's on 2019.12... and I'm thinking it should be on 2019.16... Shouldn't it have updated by now? If so, how would I go about requesting that Tesla push an update?

View attachment 410833
hey mate from NZ too, the answer to this one, is don't push the lever all the way down, ie not past clicking, just tap it down gently and it will start the lane change

I might (will) get flamed for this comment, but I don't get why anyone has any faith in AP to the point where they risk their lives, others lives or their own car with it.
What do you gain? To me it seems more stressful to be beta testing it (because that is what you are doing) rather than just turn the thing off and drive the car normally.
I'll never be convinced to use it, but I am interested to hear why people have trust in a flaky system.

Sorry for the newbie question - I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but would someone mind to provide a primer about software versions and the update process? I just received a Model 3 a week ago and it's on 2019.12... and I'm thinking it should be on 2019.16... Shouldn't it have updated by now? If so, how would I go about requesting that Tesla push an update?
Yeah I'm curious too if 16 is pushing out to model 3 yet, I'm still on 12, barely having gotten to 12 about 2 weeks ago. I have model 3 LR with eap.

I might (will) get flamed for this comment, but I don't get why anyone has any faith in AP to the point where they risk their lives, others lives or their own car with it.
What do you gain? To me it seems more stressful to be beta testing it (because that is what you are doing) rather than just turn the thing off and drive the car normally.
I'll never be convinced to use it, but I am interested to hear why people have trust in a flaky system.

I don’t find that I’m risking anybody’s lives with it, quite the opposite. I always keep my hand on the wheel and am keeping an eye on the road and drivers around me. So long as I’m paying attention(and I am, just as consistently as when I’m in full control), both the car and I would have to simultaneously fail in the same way to create a dangerous situation.

As for what I gain: safety from the redundant system mostly(it sounds like you disagree with me here. That’s ok.), and I generally arrive at my destination much less tired than I have/do when under manual control. Also, you know, just generally interesting seeing what the system does.

As for what I gain: safety from the redundant system mostly(it sounds like you disagree with me here. That’s ok.)
Well I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just confused when people talk about this phantom braking, changing lanes unexpectedly etc. To me it is more like driving as the instructor with a learner driver if you have to watch over it rather than the other way around.

• Funny
Reactions: RayW and Droschke