Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me crazy, but in the small time Elon has been in charge of the autopilot group, I've noticed every next release has had less phantom braking than the one before it...
Damn how I want to believe this is true.
Fingers crossed. I’ll take smoother, better AP tweaks all day long over all this “new feature” and games farts etc.....
The little “micro braking and accelerating” is so annoying I’ve stopped showing the AP to interested folks.

20.1 may be going full speed domestically. 600 already today (Tuesday) on TeslaFi as of 5:15 AM ET (mostly Europe of course but that’s to be expected, a few USA). Let’s see what happens here are the day progresses.

(My X on Advanced is still on 16.2 lol.)

20.1 may be going full speed domestically. 600 already today (Tuesday) on TeslaFi as of 5:15 AM ET (mostly Europe of course but that’s to be expected, a few USA). Let’s see what happens here are the day progresses.

(My X on Advanced is still on 16.2 lol.)
The advanced setting is useless.
I think it was only meant for a way to allow FSD folks (people who paid already) a way to early access as promised by Elon.

The advanced setting is useless.
I think it was only meant for a way to allow FSD folks (people who paid already) a way to early access as promised by Elon.
Everyone in Australia in our tesla owners group who had advance enabled got notification of a new release, 2019.16.3.1 within the same hour. None of us has had a release since then, so presumably there is no newer release for Australia yet, but advance definitely did something here.

I’m on 20.1 now and I’m experiencing some odd behavior, since 16.2. When I leave the car and come back, the music that was playing is no longer playing, there is no station/channel selected, and there is nothing listed in the recent music area. Some settings don’t seem to persist across reboot either now. Some things that I tried that weren’t saved across a reboot was recent music, WiFi connection, location defaults to not the current location, Home/work addresses. My energy consumption graph has also been frozen, even across reboots too. It is very odd as it seems to be reverting to a previous “snapshot” state or something. Anyone else notice this behavior after a recent update?

The whole software update system is a *sugar* show. My brand new SP+L needs an update for Ludicrous and has been accomplished by others in the exact same situation with the latest update yet EVERYONE at Tesla keeps saying their tagline "There is not an update for your configuration". Well, other than color there is no difference in those other examples that HAVE been sent the new software.

Software update set to advance......5Ghz Wifi Connection....2+ days waiting....I think it is 100% luck of the draw as to who answers the phone at Tesla and actually has a clue. SMH SMH SMH

I think it is 100% luck of the draw as to who answers the phone at Tesla and actually has a clue.
I disagree. Absolutely no one you can get on a phone has any idea about the software; nor can they help you in any meaningful way regarding the software. All of the software is done on such an obfuscated level from within Tesla headquarters that we're too far removed to ever know.

Reactions: jlv1
I disagree. Absolutely no one you can get on a phone has any idea about the software; nor can they help you in any meaningful way regarding the software. All of the software is done on such an obfuscated level from within Tesla headquarters that we're too far removed to ever know.

To be more clear I meant luck of the draw to get someone to click "send a software update" VS "nothing for your car"....not that anyone actually has any idea about the software specifically

20.1 AP seems to be a bit smoother for me but could it be also placebo. Still some heavy ghost breaking and partially stuttering while overtaking. Apart from partially useless suggestions for lane change, for me NOA is very difficult to use here in Switzerland as highways are narrow and quite busy during commuting periods, very few driver keep normal distance so that AP can't initiate safe lane change. I wonder whether an AP can follow ever this crazy driving style and we (AP user) will end up all on the right lane behind trucks? Finally driving on AP since steering angle limitation feels like driving at the times only front cameras were enabled.

Call me crazy...

Crazy :) I think 2019.16.x is a nice collection of regressions from 2019.12.x, particularly regarding ghost braking, TACC and lane changes. On a recent 1600 mile (~2500km) round trip, the first half was done on 2019.12 and it performed flawlessly. I received the 2019.16.x notification the day before I returned and those ~800 miles back were nothing but fighting bouts with AP.

Suddenly, my car is mortally scared of big rigs. It will slam on the brakes and back off using the formula: distance to car in front setting * size of that scary rig in front. Changing lanes to one adjacent to a truck is hilarious. It will hesitate a bunch of times and trigger big red warning lines and chimes.

Changing lanes will nearly always step on the brakes while making the change, cars nearby or not. If there is a car nearby, well, everyone around be ready. The car will slam on the brakes to make sure it matches the speed of the car in the next lane, all while the lane change is being performed. Driving 101 says speed should not vary while making a lane change. The guys that program AP don't drive, and evidently might not even have a driver's license.

I'm FSD as well, with the "advanced" switch on but as others report, this makes no difference at all. Hopefully 2019.20.x will be an improvement over 2019.16.

JR

The Advanced setting was specifically stated for those of us that wanted our ‘assigned’ software more quickly to get it more quickly. That’s what Elon promised us way back when with a ‘software on demand’ (more or less) button. It’s supposed to (slightly?) raise our priority for the release that is assigned to our car anyway. For example, most of will be getting 20.1 soon (I assume) so we would get it sooner (for some value of sooner).

It was not supposed to be the Early Access gift for people that bought FSD. If I have a car in EA I want to choose which car that is. I don’t want random features, for example, like Advanced Summon and Auto Wipers (20.0.1), appearing on a car I didn’t agree to being adding to EA or sign an NDA for.

IF they want to make the beta (the real beta lol) program public now, like Apple does, then add ANOTHER switch for it and let us choose that when and where we want.

Someone needs to get ahold of software testing at Tesla.

PS That article in Electrek about Advanced being EA is BS. It was stated many times and in the release notes what the switch was for.

• Funny
Reactions: Perry and KArnold
2019.20.1 has completely eliminated "Systems Powering Up...." for me. Hoping it stays that way since it's been great! AP or NoAP has also been pretty good with very minimal phantom braking.

One thing I'm noticing is that my vampire drain seems to be more than usual.

Crazy :) I think 2019.16.x is a nice collection of regressions from 2019.12.x, particularly regarding ghost braking, TACC and lane changes. On a recent 1600 mile (~2500km) round trip, the first half was done on 2019.12 and it performed flawlessly. I received the 2019.16.x notification the day before I returned and those ~800 miles back were nothing but fighting bouts with AP.
Which 16.x in particular?

I’m on 20.1 now and I’m experiencing some odd behavior, since 16.2. When I leave the car and come back, the music that was playing is no longer playing, there is no station/channel selected, and there is nothing listed in the recent music area. Some settings don’t seem to persist across reboot either now. Some things that I tried that weren’t saved across a reboot was recent music, WiFi connection, location defaults to not the current location, Home/work addresses. My energy consumption graph has also been frozen, even across reboots too. It is very odd as it seems to be reverting to a previous “snapshot” state or something. Anyone else notice this behavior after a recent update?

I've had the same issues as tllt reported since 16.2 and continuing with 20.1. The most frustrating of these issues is that the energy consumption graph is frozen and will not reset regardless of whether I reboot or power down the car.

The Advanced setting was specifically stated for those of us that wanted our ‘assigned’ software more quickly to get it more quickly. That’s what Elon promised us way back when with a ‘software on demand’ (more or less) button. It’s supposed to (slightly?) raise our priority for the release that is assigned to our car anyway. For example, most of will be getting 20.1 soon (I assume) so we would get it sooner (for some value of sooner).

It was not supposed to be the Early Access gift for people that bought FSD. If I have a car in EA I want to choose which car that is. I don’t want random features, for example, like Advanced Summon and Auto Wipers (20.0.1), appearing on a car I didn’t agree to being adding to EA or sign an NDA for.

IF they want to make the beta (the real beta lol) program public now, like Apple does, then add ANOTHER switch for it and let us choose that when and where we want.

Someone needs to get ahold of software testing at Tesla.

PS That article in Electrek about Advanced being EA is BS. It was stated many times and in the release notes what the switch was for.

This the generic marketing / owners email I just happened to get from Tesla explaining it:

Every Tesla gets better over time with regular over-the-air software updates.

As a customer who purchased Full Self-Driving before March 2019, you’re invited to be among the first to receive the latest software updates for your car based on your configuration and region.

Our newest setting allows all customers to adjust their software update preferences by tapping Controls > Software > Software Update Preference and selecting ADVANCED or STANDARD. Select ADVANCED to be among the first to get access to applicable software updates based on your status as an early purchaser of our Full Self-Driving package.

Please note this feature is only available with software update 2019.16 or later.

Reactions: quickstrike12
The Advanced setting was specifically stated for those of us that wanted our ‘assigned’ software more quickly to get it more quickly.

Roughly adding up reports from TeslaFi, 42% of the fleet is on a higher software level than 2019.16.2, the level in my car. There have been over 900 vehicles upgraded to 2019.20 just today. Yeah, that "advanced" option does nothing.

JR

This the generic marketing / owners email I just happened to get from Tesla explaining it:
Yeah, I know, lol, got that also. Both my cars have FSD from day 1.

It still doesn’t say that the software we get from Advanced is ‘normal’ or EA. They really don’t know how to communicate.

Again, if they are releasing real beta software (or is EA alpha since AP is beta?!) publicly via the Advanced switch only, we need more information/confirmation of that. .