Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some thoughts on 2019.20.2.1:

Definitely noticing some AP2 tweaks. On the positive side, compared to 2019.16.2:
- Stopped car detection works from amazingly far now. I was able to approach stopped cars at 65mph at red lights and the car doesn't do a crazy emergency brake -- it starts responding to stopped cars about a half mile ahead.
- Strange tweaks to the deceleration curve when a vehicle far ahead is slow -- AP now slows down much earlier instead of aggressively closing the gap and then suddenly slowing. This behavior is more natural but I'm sure controversial -- during rush hour most drivers like to close gaps as quickly as possible to prevent other cars from cutting in.
- City lane line behaviors are much improved -- one road I use has the lane lines shift 5 feet through an unmarked intersection. Previous builds of AP simply attempt to drive in the shoulder after crossing the intersection, before sounding an alarm. This one actually detects the correct lane and smoothly moves over in the middle of the unmarked intersection.

On the negative side:
- Spinning car visualization issues still exist. Almost no improvement there.
- Significant regression to Auto Lane Change when there's a car two lanes over. If a car is nearly beside you but 2 lanes over, Auto Lane Change will nearly always abort, thinking that car is in the next lane over.
- The above behavior has also led to a few false blind spot warnings. Super annoying since it trips my paranoia that I missed something.

Overall a net positive step forward.

Also on 20.2.1 HW2.0

It will no longer accept auto lane change on state highways. Freeways still good. But previous release was good anytime there was an available lane. Hoping this gets restored soon.
Odd, I can auto lane change on both local roads (2 or 3 lanes each way) and California highways.

old |v2019.20.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.20.2.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Reactions: croman
Odd, I can auto lane change on both local roads (2 or 3 lanes each way) and California highways.

old |v2019.20.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.20.2.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

I’m glad it’s not a full fleet regression. Now to figure out why I’m seeing this. Same specs as you. Basically wherever I’m capped at 5mph over the limit, no auto lane change. Will gather more data.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
Some thoughts on 2019.20.2.1:

Definitely noticing some AP2 tweaks. On the positive side, compared to 2019.16.2:
- Stopped car detection works from amazingly far now. I was able to approach stopped cars at 65mph at red lights and the car doesn't do a crazy emergency brake -- it starts responding to stopped cars about a half mile ahead.
- Strange tweaks to the deceleration curve when a vehicle far ahead is slow -- AP now slows down much earlier instead of aggressively closing the gap and then suddenly slowing. This behavior is more natural but I'm sure controversial -- during rush hour most drivers like to close gaps as quickly as possible to prevent other cars from cutting in.
- City lane line behaviors are much improved -- one road I use has the lane lines shift 5 feet through an unmarked intersection. Previous builds of AP simply attempt to drive in the shoulder after crossing the intersection, before sounding an alarm. This one actually detects the correct lane and smoothly moves over in the middle of the unmarked intersection.

On the negative side:
- Spinning car visualization issues still exist. Almost no improvement there.
- Significant regression to Auto Lane Change when there's a car two lanes over. If a car is nearly beside you but 2 lanes over, Auto Lane Change will nearly always abort, thinking that car is in the next lane over.
- The above behavior has also led to a few false blind spot warnings. Super annoying since it trips my paranoia that I missed something.

Overall a net positive step forward.
I found the same improvement to braking, including much better control in stop-and-go AKA bumper-to-bumper traffic situations. Far less "holy cow there's a car there slam on the brakes!!" type response now, and much more natural slow braking to the slowing/stopped car in front. Take off is still glacially slow though, and phantom braking and microbraking for adjacent vehicles remains.

I noticed a weird behavior. A suburban road I often travel has a typical white fog line and double yellow center stripe. There are plenty of side streets, and at each side street the fog line disappears, obviously. The side streets have stop signs but I don't.

If I'm going straight down the road, at some but not all of these side street intersections, as soon as the fog line disappears, the car swerves violently to the right, as if it's trying to center itself into a much wider lane. This is a dramatic swerve that I have to forcefully recover from, it would plow me right up onto the curb and perhaps even further off the road than that.

It never did this before the latest update. I'm still testing to see if it does this when following a car down the road, or just if the road is empty in front of me.

So my 2017 Model S 100D AP hardware 2.5 just updated and it is on 2019.20.1.2.5659e07
Haven’t noticed much difference but then I’ve only had the car for almost 3 weeks.

I’m having a problem where driving like at speed (35-75 mph) it will all of a sudden start braking for no reason then then go back to autopilot cruising. It will seemingly randomly do it. Seems the update helped but it still doesn’t it a few times to the point that I can’t use autopilot cruise. I took it to the Tesla service and on a drive and couldn’t reproduce the sudden stopping. They told me to do a ‘bug report’ voice command every time it does it. I haven’t gotten the voice command to work yet. I think the radar unit needs recalibration but that’s just a guess.

I’m having a problem where driving like at speed (35-75 mph) it will all of a sudden start braking for no reason then then go back to autopilot cruising. It will seemingly randomly do it. Seems the update helped but it still doesn’t it a few times to the point that I can’t use autopilot cruise. I took it to the Tesla service and on a drive and couldn’t reproduce the sudden stopping. They told me to do a ‘bug report’ voice command every time it does it. I haven’t gotten the voice command to work yet. I think the radar unit needs recalibration but that’s just a guess.
Welcome to the world of phantom braking that we've been complaining about for the last two years.

Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

Some people who have had extreme examples of it have had the service centres adjust the alignment of their radar, but it doesn't really seem to be addressing the problem. This is just software conservativeness.