Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a chance to drive my car around for a few hours last night. AP1, MCU1, 2019.8.3.

• AP is butter smooth. I keep it at setting 3 and I have to say it's wonderful now. It was pretty good before too, but it's now just smooth as can be, like a real driver.
  • Lane change does not work with a single tap. Have to either push the stalk down all the way for it to click, or hold it halfway depressed until it changes.
  • I have dog mode, the new climate cluster (what advantage that gives, I don't know), and insane +
  • Insane + feels a bit more peppy but likely just the placebo effect. Nothing happens when I select it, no max battery power warning or even mention
  • No release notes even after hours of driving
Thanks for the details.
Pitty the single tap is not working.
About the release note, try leaving it a long time, it should eventually show up.

Had a chance to drive my car around for a few hours last night. AP1, MCU1, 2019.8.3.

• AP is butter smooth. I keep it at setting 3 and I have to say it's wonderful now. It was pretty good before too, but it's now just smooth as can be, like a real driver.
  • Lane change does not work with a single tap. Have to either push the stalk down all the way for it to click, or hold it halfway depressed until it changes.
  • I have dog mode, the new climate cluster (what advantage that gives, I don't know), and insane +
  • Insane + feels a bit more peppy but likely just the placebo effect. Nothing happens when I select it, no max battery power warning or even mention
  • No release notes even after hours of driving

Sounds awesome; dog mode for AP1!

Climate cluster means us people north and east of you can save a click or two to go to the subzero settings.

the 8.3 and 8.4 update seems to be tailing off at the moment though, with only 2% of the AP1 population obtaining it; maybe it will ramp up tomorrow.

I wonder if data charges for Tesla are like electricity prices for customers; if the price changes based on time of day or day of week.... ?? I know being in the pacific time zone my updates are always in the wee hours of the morning.

Same here on best performing yet. Drove back from Stowe VT to Ann Arbor MI on Friday. Only one phantom event. Really does well with trucks that have a drifting backend over the line. Little ping pongy in Canada on wider lanes.

I have only had lane change work on single tap when on NOA and suggested for S.

Had release notes at beginning that I posted, then disappeared. Then came back.:confused:

Back to FL on Tuesday with snows off. That will be the real test.

Yeah main bug for me is anything that needs the web browser (manual, release notes, etc) can be a while screen until reboot.

I do agree there’s a little bit of aggressive re-centering with irregular or wide lane lines in this build. That also means more of a propensity to dive for something you don’t want. We’ve seen varying degrees of this in the past. However, the other side of the trade off: I’ve had AP do hairpins and switchback turns by itself, once turning the steering wheel completely upside down to round a corner on a mountain pass. Was absolutely floored by this performance, totally not something it could do before.

Meanwhile, NoA is definitely a ton more comfortable on clover leafs. It makes more of a uniform sweeping steering input rather than wiggling the wheel a ton.

In terms of not doing perfect: It does once in a while do a phantom slowdown, but so far what I’ve experienced is a hard deceleration of only a few mph. Overall I’m satisfied with the update and am glad I got it, though I do hope/expect a follow-up polish update in like the next few weeks’ time frame.

For Californians here, I was able to drive up and down CA-17, two round trips this weekend. Only required one intervention southbound, zero northbound. Unfortunately the one intervention southbound was it not taking a corner sharp enough and I am convinced it would’ve hit the center divider if I didn’t do anything (the park sensors were showing red and the car was still going towards the barricade when I took over). So please be careful and attentive with autopilot as always. Even though it’s getting more and more capable, small mistakes in bad situations can be extremely dangerous.

Yeah main bug for me is anything that needs the web browser (manual, release notes, etc) can be a while screen until reboot.

Meanwhile, NoA is definitely a ton more comfortable on clover leafs. It makes more of a uniform sweeping steering input rather than wiggling the wheel a ton.

+1 on the manual while reboot. Never thought about that, but would like it flashed if that is a term to main screen in case of a roadside issue. Like getting the phone number for Tesla if one did not have it.

NoA is really nice now. I was very sceptical and turned it off when first rolled out. Now several different cloverleafs without feeling I was slowing down people behind me, and pretty good resumption of speed. Impressed by ending NoA to AP then to rolling very slow at exits with prompt to take over.

Any AP highway improvement is the biggest thing I want. For my annual miles it really keeps me behind the wheel longer per day. Other items I find fillers, yet continuous improvement for the car is something more people talk to me about these days that are non Tesla owners.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
For those with AP1. Finally showed up.

Attachments

• 25CCA8F2-FD85-476E-A167-8B05925F62C9.jpeg
    25CCA8F2-FD85-476E-A167-8B05925F62C9.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: UkrHog and AustinP
So I am not looking forward to my commute tomorrow after reading lots of the comments on 2019.8.3 - here’s hoping I get 2019.8.4 before the morning. When I was on 2019.5.14 the phantom breaking and hesitations were bad enough but 8.3 just doesn’t sound fun at all.
Let us know how it goes. Some people have suggested doing a hard reset. It hasn’t worked for me. Jerky TACC and lots of phantom braking. But give it a whirl. Hope it’s good!

Reactions: markn455
Just swung by the service center and they're going to push 8.4 to my car to see if that fixes my missing Max Battery Power and Launch Mode options. Also hoping it will fix the first time use lag on the push to talk button. Not sure if anyone else has this issue.

Just swung by the service center and they're going to push 8.4 to my car to see if that fixes my missing Max Battery Power and Launch Mode options. Also hoping it will fix the first time use lag on the push to talk button. Not sure if anyone else has this issue.

Max Battery Power has been eliminated starting 8.3 (including 8.4). It's been replaced with a new speed option called "Ludicrous +". If you're missing that as well, then have them confirm the Option Codes in the Tesla Garage (ask them to let you see the screen), and have them confirm that you have the Ludicrous Option Code set.

As for the lag, it's gotten much worse with 8.x. I think it's because of the added load of the 3-cam Dash Cam. While you need AP2.5 to have that feature, it's writing back tot he USB stick, and I have to guess that the MCU computer handles the communication with the USB.

Yeah, I certainly do have that option on the car and it was working perfectly fine prior to 8.3. I fully understand that they have a new tab called Ludicrous + which I have, however when that is selected, underneath it's supposed to say Max Battery Power and the time it will take for the battery to reach optimal temperature. That is missing on my car. When that is activated, it enables Launch Mode. That is not working on my car either.

Here are two screenshots. The first one is my car with the Max Battery Power option missing. The second is someone else's with it shown.

img_20190330_005826-jpg.392484

15537035811121602399416-jpg.391843

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_005826.jpg
    IMG_20190330_005826.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 385
Push to talk, omg 20 times I had to press it to work in 8.3 and then it wouldn’t work again so gave up

As for the lag, it's gotten much worse with 8.x. I think it's because of the added load of the 3-cam Dash Cam. While you need AP2.5 to have that feature, it's writing back tot he USB stick, and I have to guess that the MCU computer handles the communication with the USB.

I have an AP1 car, so not sure how that would affect it. To me, it just seems like crappy code. I can recreate it every single time I get into the car, so it's not an intermittent issue.