Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke too soon, maybe they did do something, or it just decided now was the time to push. Looks like the car is pulling firmware. :):)

oZSWTdLl.png

Interestingly, it's over HTTP and not HTTPS, which I thought they used for firmware updates. Comes from an akamai.net server. First update I've had since I set up sflow and traffic monitoring on the car wifi. I wish I had set something up to catch the URL so I could get a copy of the firmware image to play with.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TechVP
Spoke too soon, maybe they did do something, or it just decided now was the time to push. Looks like the car is pulling firmware. :):)

oZSWTdLl.png

Interestingly, it's over HTTP and not HTTPS, which I thought they used for firmware updates. Comes from an akamai.net server. First update I've had since I set up sflow and traffic monitoring on the car wifi. I wish I had set something up to catch the URL so I could get a copy of the firmware image to play with.

Dunno how much you ended up downloading, but it looks like I’m getting a map update tonight. 1.2GB down so far, which is too big for a firmware...

Watching the process is pretty interesting. It downloaded around 1GB from akamai, did a bunch of talking over the vpn and to some aws and cloudfront servers, then downloaded another 500mb from a different akamai server. A bunch of openvpn and aws, and I get the update notification.

Maybe the larger size is because it includes multiple images.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be able to mess with it, would be nice though.

I'm sure it's signed so there's no way to trick the car into downloading a modified one, but just looking around inside would be fascinating. The guys that have root probably know everything already, but I'm not gonna try that until my warrantys up.

Watching the process is pretty interesting. It downloaded around 1GB from akamai, did a bunch of talking over the vpn and to some aws and cloudfront servers, then downloaded another 500mb from a different akamai server. A bunch of openvpn and aws, and I get the update notification.

Maybe the larger size is because it includes multiple images.

I'm sure it's signed so there's no way to trick the car into downloading a modified one, but just looking around inside would be fascinating. The guys that have root probably know everything already, but I'm not gonna try that until my warrantys up.
Same thing mine did...

I just got 2019.8.4. It was a 1.5GB download; presumably a full image rather than a diff from the one I was on (2018.50.6). Funny thing is it lists some of the changes as "previous release notes" but they're also changes I never got since it's been so long since I got an update. I tried out the new ludicrous+ driving setting and after selecting it, it asks me if I want to enable max power as an extra dialog box (pointless IMO). I also noticed that this is NOT the same as the easter egg ludicrous+ still because it does not display the battery temperature gauge, nor does it come up with the power output display when the battery is at max power temperature.

Autosteer tracking is much better around town now. The 50.6 release would try to dart down side streets and get dangerously close to curbs at times. However, consequently it makes for even more steering corrections than before. Phantom braking is no better (maybe even worse.) Take off at traffic lights is still glacial slow. Pulling up to a stopped car is either "holy cow there's a car there slam on the brakes" or "I see a car a mile away, start slowing down now".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: _jal_ and chillaban
Should I?

75D AP2 2018.50.6 and it's working pretty well for me.

Just got update available. What's 2019.8.x going to give me that I don't already have?

Am I better off to hold off and wait and see?
I got exactly the same change in version. Went to 2019.8.4 a few hours ago.
Dog mode, autofold mirrors, better HVAC controls, blind spot warning chime, better lane tracking especially in urban areas. Downsides, possibly worse phantom braking (I haven't had this, others have reported it.) Overall I'm very happy I upgraded. 8.3 was the buggy one.

I got exactly the same change in version. Went to 2019.8.4 a few hours ago.
Dog mode, autofold mirrors, better HVAC controls, blind spot warning chime, better lane tracking especially in urban areas. Downsides, possibly worse phantom braking (I haven't had this, others have reported it.) Overall I'm very happy I upgraded. 8.3 was the buggy one.
Doesn't look like anything I really need. Not sure if I'm getting .3 or .4 so think I'll hold. Satisfied with lane tracking and don't want to risk phantom breaking. None confirmation of lane changes with NoA would do it though.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Doesn't look like anything I really need. Not sure if I'm getting .3 or .4 so think I'll hold. Satisfied with lane tracking and don't want to risk phantom breaking. None confirmation of lane changes with NoA would do it though.
Oh there was one more thing - in regular autosteer you can just tap the indicator stalk and it will stay on and do the lane change (we haven'te even gotten NoA in Australia yet.)

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Oh there was one more thing - in regular autosteer you can just tap the indicator stalk and it will stay on and do the lane change (we haven'te even gotten NoA in Australia yet.)
Tap stalk is nice but not enough. I use NoA all the time and leaving today on St. Louis to Chicago trip and then to Augusta Georgia on Monday. Don't want to chance NoA acting strange.