Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vibrating steering wheel is actually a pretty good indicator of the upcoming lane change, way better than the lane keep assist feature. Yet I am not sure if I want to use the auto lane change, it changes lane 2 miles before it needs to and it has a tough time dealing with lane splits and merging traffic. It also likes to slam on the brakes to get in. I prefer not to be hit, not worth the risk.

I tried the auto lane change with no confirmation for 10 minutes in moderate heavy traffic, I turned it off immediately as you can't tell if the car will just stop to try to merge or if it will keep going and shoot the next gap. This might work if you drive in leisure Sunday traffic, no way I would trust it in heavy rush hour traffic or unless you cruise at 55mph in the right lane. Even if you do that, you have to worry about merges. I don't plan to turn my back on again for a while, not really useful.

Theory is that if you reboot, your car will check in with the mother ship and possibly get it to start downloading an update if you're car had been previously flagged to receive one but somehow unable to receive at the time.

I rebooted my MCU today (while parked in the garage on wifi) after reading this and 90 minutes later got a notification that a software update was available. Now on 2019.8.4 (after update).

It actually occurred to me just how ridiculous this is. I've just hit the indicator to request a lane change so it KNOWS I'm there and aware, but it still wants me to turn the steering wheel and confirm I'm there :(
I totally relate to this. I am a two hander most of the time but sometimes one but since all the nags started I have to drive with my right hand more when one handed because if I drive with my left hand I get nagged continuously. I find it more comfortable with my left so will switch about but have to remember and force the little bit of extra pressure but I then flick the indicator to change lane and it then nags me as no hand on the wheel for that split second so end up having to have both hands on the wheel (yes I know, that’s how we are all supposed to drive) to be able to change lanes. With both hands on the wheel I get nagged now and then but flick for a lane change and nag nag nag remember to add more pressure. Naturally if I was manually changing lane I would have to add pressure and turn the wheel but surely this should realise I am here, I flicked the blooming stalk so how can I not be here?!?

Reactions: conman
The only thing that confirms your hands are actually on the wheel is torque on the wheel.

All the others are no better than the drivers seat pressure sensor, it knows you are there, it wants to know you have at least one hand on the wheel....

Doesn’t seem like that is unreasonable given we do not have FSD yet...

Reactions: jorobsand
I received a notification on my phone for the 2019.8.5 update, accepted and went to bed. Getting into my car the next morning, I noticed the instrument cluster and center screen was blank, and the app was not communicating with the car. Tesla Support sent a tow truck to jump the 12v (never received any notification of this going bad) and possible tow. After jumping the 12v, car came on and I drove to the supercharger to bring the battery up to 90%. Came back home, updated the software again, and got a notification on my phone that the update failed. Went back into the car, and instrument cluster was blank again, and in talking with Tesla Support, they said the 12v was fine, and they're sending out a mobile tech to review.

Has there been any instances where a software update can 'crash' your car?

Well, still 2018.8.50 for me... AP2 MS.

If I could get a 2019 update, that would be great.
Me too (don't you hate those "me too" posts? ).

But in my case I consider it a blessing. I'm happy where I am. Would be happier with v8 but things are stable. I don't need things to break. Keep me last on the update list. Y'all can work through the bugs on the Tesla-imposed QA testers.

I received a notification on my phone for the 2019.8.5 update, accepted and went to bed. Getting into my car the next morning, I noticed the instrument cluster and center screen was blank, and the app was not communicating with the car. Tesla Support sent a tow truck to jump the 12v (never received any notification of this going bad) and possible tow. After jumping the 12v, car came on and I drove to the supercharger to bring the battery up to 90%. Came back home, updated the software again, and got a notification on my phone that the update failed. Went back into the car, and instrument cluster was blank again, and in talking with Tesla Support, they said the 12v was fine, and they're sending out a mobile tech to review.

Has there been any instances where a software update can 'crash' your car?
Year model?

Me too (don't you hate those "me too" posts? ).

But in my case I consider it a blessing. I'm happy where I am. Would be happier with v8 but things are stable. I don't need things to break. Keep me last on the update list. Y'all can work through the bugs on the Tesla-imposed QA testers.
I understand your position but (always a but) if you wait till all the bugs are worked you'll always be were you are right now.
It is frustrating when an update is really a downgrade. I felt that way about 8.4. to me 2018.50.6 was better and more stable than 8.4. But(there it is again) 2019.8.5 is indeed an upgrade from 2018.50.6 IMO. Definitely not perfect however (notice the lack of a but) so far I've seen nothing that would make me want to go back to a previous version.
I'm leaving tomorrow on 1500+ mile trip and will be using NoA for the majority of those miles. Perhaps I'll feel differently when I get back home.

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth
Elon gets 10s of thousands of tweets every day. The likelihood of him responding to one is like lottery. Then again if you think about the CEO of a multibillion dollar company responding to customers directly, that's pretty amazing, but this is hardly going to be a reliable strategy for getting support.
Whilst that is true it seems he notices them enough to introduce dog minding and other user requests. Sending Emails to the usual support channels is a waste of time so until they address that then a lottery based tweet is still a viable option.

2019.8.5 has sure got the love on Canada at the moment:

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 7.33.13 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: mazeminder
As of today and a fair amount of driving later, I still have the blindspot warning. Scheduled service for next week.

I got .12 this morning, but it didn't help - still have the warning. But on 8.5, I did a ~250mi drive with 8.5 and I was really happy with the steering improvement over 2018.50.6. Also, auto wipers was much improved in 8.5. Now TACC on the other hand...sheesh. It's like someone was pumping my brakes fairly often throughout the drive. Pretty annoying. I'm hoping getting the cameras fixed (scheduled for Wednesday) might help with that. Or maybe its better in .12, I haven't driven on that version yet.