Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on an extended NoA with confirmations off, the car performed perfectly for 99% of the trip. Very smooth and rational lane changes, moved quickly into spaces where before it would sidle over cautiously. Only issues where near the end when I was about to head off the highway. 4 lanes to the left as the main highway continued and two lanes to the right which was the exit to the surface streets. I was on the exit lanes and the highway traffic was slow/stopped to my left. Two instances of phantom BRAKING seemingly as a consequence of a semi the the left adjacent lane that seemed to cause the freak out. Then at the end of the ramp, where the lane I was in jogs 5 feet to the left on the other end of the intersection, and autopilot quit on me. All in all not too bad.

So on an extended NoA with confirmations off, the car performed perfectly for 99% of the trip. Very smooth and rational lane changes, moved quickly into spaces where before it would sidle over cautiously. Only issues where near the end when I was about to head off the highway. 4 lanes to the left as the main highway continued and two lanes to the right which was the exit to the surface streets. I was on the exit lanes and the highway traffic was slow/stopped to my left. Two instances of phantom BRAKING seemingly as a consequence of a semi the the left adjacent lane that seemed to cause the freak out. Then at the end of the ramp, where the lane I was in jogs 5 feet to the left on the other end of the intersection, and autopilot quit on me. All in all not too bad.
I have similar results with very positive things to say. I stopped using NoA back on 50.6 but I have been quite pleased with the 8.5 update. It seems to be much smoother and more confident.
It does still have some false positives that will cause some hesitation braking and acceleration that I hate. It seems to be on and off the gas(electrons) too quickly. I think they need to turn down the gains in the software and smooth out those peaks.
Honestly the only downside for me lately in using it more on my everyday 70 mile round trip is the speed limit changes on the freeway drive me crazy. It will be doing a nice 75mph and then drop itself to 45 on some curve ramp to the new freeway or change in freeway etc....and I piss off everyone behind me. So I end up mashing the accelerator to fix it. Happens way to often here in the DFW area. It might actually be a speed limit restriction its following in its database. The problem is people don’t actually drive like that in rush hour traffic. Real drivers keep the speed up around curves and highway changes like this.
I would prefer it give me responsibility for the speed completely and not slow down on its own.

The latest on my S 8.5.3aaa23d works much better than other releases, I still prefer it makes lane change decision earlier. For example, when I enter the highway to work, the right lane will leads to an exit lane only in less than half mile. NoA will continue to drive until the last moment to change lane ... it works fine if there is no traffic on the next lane. This morning, it prompts 'take control immediately' because it's too late and I have to brake and force to change lane like a jerk. Similarly, when exiting the highway, if the car is on the middle lane but an exit it's approaching, it didn't change lane earlier until the last moment and tries to cut across two lanes and exit, it didn't do it all the time but quite often.

Got 8.5 on both cars this week, now waiting for 8.6, which TeslaFi has as overwriting 8.5 everywhere. If this is the new normal (six releases before we’re done) for every release, gonna be fun, folks.

To the issue. My X now seems to wake up every time I come near it. Yes, no fob. It’s in the kitchen in its faraday bag (the other one is upstairs where it always is). And, yes, no phone (which shouldn’t matter for an X).

WTF? Do we think part of Sentry is always active or something? Anyone else seen this? Anyone want to try?

Guess I’ll wait for 8.6 to see if that was one of the many bugs fixed. But the headlights and taillights come on; screens do not wake up. Pretty sure doors aren’t unlocked, have to check that lol.

Edit: So, it’s not that simple. Tried it again and it’s not just waving at the cameras. This happens when the 3 comes home or departs. Thought it was maybe the HPWC being used. Nope. Only thing left is Homelink. Have to give that a shot. Man....

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Does it try to steel the front wheel and tries to get up the lip (usually it's the front wheel that's trouble getting up) ? My S sometimes makes it up the 1" lip, but the scariest part is if the wheel is not straight after it overcome the lip - it will hit something ! Sometimes it works, but success rate is around 20%. If I use the front to get in first, it has higher rate of success, not sure whether it is because mine is RWD only and I usually back in the garage for easier reach of the charge cable.
I have tried both forwards and reverse. Neither works well. It did work in a previous firmware version but that didn't last long.
Maybe I'll test again in 6 months and see.....

You have to have max battery power enabled

Press Ludicrous+, you will get an acknowledgement on the screen to enter Max Battery Mode, click "Yes" and make sure car is in Low suspension mode. No need to do anything else, you do not have to activate any Easter Egg. I have launched my car multiple times on the last few days on every recent software version up to 2018.8.5 using this process.

Press Ludicrous+, you will get an acknowledgement on the screen to enter Max Battery Mode, click "Yes" and make sure car is in Low suspension mode. No need to do anything else, you do not have to activate any Easter Egg. I have launched my car multiple times on the last few days on every recent software version up to 2018.8.5 using this process.
The easter egg is the only way to get the battery temperature display and then the power output/acceleration displays once the battery is up to optimal temperature.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I have tried both forwards and reverse. Neither works well. It did work in a previous firmware version but that didn't last long.
Maybe I'll test again in 6 months and see.....

Same for me on every software version. If I keep trying once the car is up against the lip it will proceed. Backing out is the same issue for me with standard (8') wide garage door, car alerts and stops and I need to enable Summon at least twice to get the car to back out. COuld be a combination of the opening and the lip I guess, but in any case takes multiple times using Summons to get the car to proceed in, or get it out of the garage.

The easter egg is the only way to get the battery temperature display and then the power output/acceleration displays once the battery is up to optimal temperature.

Yes, but post I was responding to was claiming that someone who could not get their car in to Launch Mode needed to use the Easter Egg, which is not true. If you want to have the displays as you note, you do need to use the Easter Egg (who knows why....), but to launch the car you do not need to do this. If you do not use the Easter Egg, you will get the warming time display below the Driving Mode buttons though.

Yes, but post I was responding to was claiming that someone who could not get their car in to Launch Mode needed to use the Easter Egg, which is not true. If you want to have the displays as you note, you do need to use the Easter Egg (who knows why....), but to launch the car you do not need to do this. If you do not use the Easter Egg, you will get the warming time display below the Driving Mode buttons though.
Indeed. There is also the new requirement someone quoted which says you need the car in low suspension mode - it's now in the manual. Strangely it didn't affect me on 2019.8.5 where I was at standard height. It seems inconsistent.

Last edited:

It seems the missing feature is an issue with P85Ds and P90Ds. P100Ds apparently have escaped this bug.

Got 8.5 on both cars this week, now waiting for 8.6, which TeslaFi has as overwriting 8.5 everywhere. If this is the new normal (six releases before we’re done) for every release, gonna be fun, folks.

To the issue. My X now seems to wake up every time I come near it. Yes, no fob. It’s in the kitchen in its faraday bag (the other one is upstairs where it always is). And, yes, no phone (which shouldn’t matter for an X).

WTF? Do we think part of Sentry is always active or something? Anyone else seen this? Anyone want to try?

Guess I’ll wait for 8.6 to see if that was one of the many bugs fixed. But the headlights and taillights come on; screens do not wake up. Pretty sure doors aren’t unlocked, have to check that lol.

Edit: So, it’s not that simple. Tried it again and it’s not just waving at the cameras. This happens when the 3 comes home or departs. Thought it was maybe the HPWC being used. Nope. Only thing left is Homelink. Have to give that a shot. Man....
So, confirmed this is some NEW interaction with the garage door opener, which has had no changes to it, ever, and no car programming changes since we got the 3 in October.

I open the door using the hard button, and walk by the X, and it flashes, sorta like Sentry is running (camera interaction?). But nothing on screen, doors aren't unlocked (not that they should be), and it goes back to sleep. No LED bulbs, nothing except car now has 2019.8.5.

Doesn't actually seem to be any interaction with the Model 3, as I did this today when it was out.

Anyone seen anything like this before I step in to the morass of calling Tesla? (They can't even fix the fact that the map on the app isn't current any longer (location is correct, map isn't).)

Drove 70 miles this morning with 2019.8.5 and it was great, only had 1 time of phantom breaking but apart from that was awesome.

However, this afternoon I drove 70 miles home and it was awful. Kangarooing, phantom breaking everywhere, distance from car in front all over the place (I normally stick with setting 3) it got to the point I had to keep turning it off as wasn’t confident with it. Keep retrying and just kept playing up.

Doesn’t make sense how different it can be on the drive. Same roads just opposite direction :)