Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019.8.6 just showed up on TeslaFi. 2019.12 must have been early access or something since they're still issuing more fixes for .8.x

IDK what the rhyme or reason for updates is. My wife's Model X75 HW2.5 MCU1 got 2019.12 on Sunday. Her car is driven about 25 miles a week and hardly ever on the expressway. Honestly have no idea why as her car is definitely not part of the Early Access Program.

Reactions: Siggy101
Figured out what is happening when updates fail when you try to kick them off via the app:
- Attempted to fire off the update remotely through my Tesla app - installation would fail after the countdown expired
- Attempted again (remotely), just because - installation failed after the countdown expired
- Disabled sentry mode and fired off the update - installation failed after the countdown expired
- Decided to just wait until i got to work in the morning to kick off the update

Issue:
When I got to my car in the morning, I noticed an error popup on the large screen telling me that the update install had failed because sentry mode was enabled.
It looks like the error screen - in the car - does not refresh and will block any attempt to retry the OTA update remotely through the app.

Solution:
Closing the error popup allowed me to install the update remotely (I used the app while in the car)

Last edited:
So, I need some help/advice...

I posted earlier in this thread and will try to summarize. Apologies for the long post.

I recently took delivery of a "CPO" 2016 Model S P90DL. Car was perfect albeit a few bugs (lag on initial push to talk, sunroof rattle etc).

The car was running 2018.50.6 and the SC said that the latest firmware fixed the lag issue, so they were pushing it out to my car. About 10 minutes later, the car got 2019.8.3.

Needless to say, that did not fix the issue. Instead, it broke Ludicrous + mode (quite an expensive option on this car). With that not working, launch mode doesn't work either. They then pushed 2019.8.4 thinking it would fix it but with no change.

I took my car in on Monday for its scheduled appointment to address this. SC called today to tell me my car was ready. I went to pick it up and they have not addressed Ludicrous+/Launch mode and said that (verbatim) "it will probably get fixed in a future firmware update".

I left my car at the SC and told them that was unacceptable and that they need to remediate it seeing as it was working fine prior to the firmware update. They said seeing as there were no technicians there for the day, they would get back to me tomorrow morning.

I'm extremely disappointed and would like to hear some perspective seeing as I'm a bit of a hardass and might have unrealistic expectations. I paid a LOT of extra money for those features and feel that they should work as intended.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
My insane + is broken too. Seems to be fleet wide so not sure what exactly they can do specifically for your car. If they can that is great and please share what they do. There is a thread on here about that issue.

Ludicrous should still work. Do you launch it that often? I have a service appointment set for this very reason so I'm curious how this will pan out for you.

There is no autobraking at red lights yet in any public release.
I stand corrected, and believe you are correct.
So, I need some help/advice...

I posted earlier in this thread and will try to summarize. Apologies for the long post.

I recently took delivery of a "CPO" 2016 Model S P90DL. Car was perfect albeit a few bugs (lag on initial push to talk, sunroof rattle etc).

The car was running 2018.50.6 and the SC said that the latest firmware fixed the lag issue, so they were pushing it out to my car. About 10 minutes later, the car got 2019.8.3.

Needless to say, that did not fix the issue. Instead, it broke Ludicrous + mode (quite an expensive option on this car). With that not working, launch mode doesn't work either. They then pushed 2019.8.4 thinking it would fix it but with no change.

I took my car in on Monday for its scheduled appointment to address this. SC called today to tell me my car was ready. I went to pick it up and they have not addressed Ludicrous+/Launch mode and said that (verbatim) "it will probably get fixed in a future firmware update".

I left my car at the SC and told them that was unacceptable and that they need to remediate it seeing as it was working fine prior to the firmware update. They said seeing as there were no technicians there for the day, they would get back to me tomorrow morning.

I'm extremely disappointed and would like to hear some perspective seeing as I'm a bit of a hardass and might have unrealistic expectations. I paid a LOT of extra money for those features and feel that they should work as intended.
Part of being a Tesla owner is learning to live with minor issues, SW glitches, etc. I would chill for awhile as Tesla completes the latest push of major updates, and then works out the kinks. You have lost anything permanently... FYI, the Service Centers can't fix firmware problems, and often must coach us to wait or be patient.

I would chill for awhile as Tesla completes the latest push of major updates, and then works out the kinks. You have lost anything permanently
Yup, I am usually in the wait and see camp, BUT some people on here that bought cars long ago are going to say the major updates and kinks have gone on for years. Their patience is running out.

My insane + is broken too. Seems to be fleet wide so not sure what exactly they can do specifically for your car. If they can that is great and please share what they do. There is a thread on here about that issue.

Ludicrous should still work. Do you launch it that often? I have a service appointment set for this very reason so I'm curious how this will pan out for you.

I have launched it once since I got the car. It's not something I will do frequently at all however it's a feature that I would like to work as I'm going to take the car to the track soon just to see what it does. Will definitely report back on here after I talk to the SC tomorrow morning to hear what they have to say.

I stand corrected, and believe you are correct.

Part of being a Tesla owner is learning to live with minor issues, SW glitches, etc. I would chill for awhile as Tesla completes the latest push of major updates, and then works out the kinks. You have lost anything permanently... FYI, the Service Centers can't fix firmware problems, and often must coach us to wait or be patient.

Thanks for the sanity check. From my perspective, out of sight, out of mind... If I sit and "chill for a while", I get the feeling that it will just get ignored as everyone is chilling. I have no problem being the squeaky wheel. A while for me is a week. If they don't have it fixed after a week, I just put them on blast. If this issue was a simple feature, I wouldn't mind. There's money behind this one, so they need to address quickly.

Hi All,

I have noticed 2019.8.5 and its predecessor 2019.8.3(?) the HPWC will not open the charge port.
I have hard rebooted the car twice - no change.
The HPWC from my wife's car barely reaches (10 feet away) it does not open my charge port but does open
her Model S charge port 10 feet away while I am trying to open the X.
Both HPWC are Gen 2 and one of them is the black Elon autographed model.

The UMC does not open the charge port either - So it (almost) has to be the 2019.8.5 software...

Shawn
Yep. Hit or miss. Opens at times.
After a few days now, I think it opens just fine. I'll post an update here if I run into this issue again.

I have launched it once since I got the car. It's not something I will do frequently at all however it's a feature that I would like to work as I'm going to take the car to the track soon just to see what it does. Will definitely report back on here after I talk to the SC tomorrow morning to hear what they have to say.

Are you sure it’s broken? You still have to activate the Easter Egg and select “bring it on”, even if you have the ludicrous+ button selected.

I'm extremely disappointed and would like to hear some perspective seeing as I'm a bit of a hardass and might have unrealistic expectations.

Welcome to Tesla ownership! ;)

The service center can do literally nothing to fix an obvious firmware bug in your car (that many others have already reported with the latest release) other than wait for a new release and hope it fixes it.

In other words, the same thing you’d be doing if you were happily driving the car yourself.

Your expectations, as they relate to Tesla, are unrealistic. You should decide quickly whether or not you’re willing to change them, else you’re in for a long string of frustration and disappointment.

Reactions: MP3Mike