Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update v8.1 2018.32.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not 100% convinced yet, but I've noticed that when approaching fork in a road, using blinker and gently tugging on the wheel in the direction you want to go at the split will allow this to happen without disabling autopilot.

I would be extremely surprised if the car responds to a gentle tug on the wheel except to let it know you have your hands on the wheel. It would be nice if it responds to the blinker. You might try approaching the same fork half a dozen times and signaling one way half the time and the other way half the time.

I actually think that if they've added this behavior they'd document it in the release notes because some way to tell the car which fork to take would be a big thing. My experience (28.1, I have not done enough driving since getting 32.2) is that it will follow the lines if there are lines, it does not take turn-offs, at least when I'm not signaling, and is unpredictable if there are no lines. Maybe it tries to determine which is the major continuation.

I would be extremely surprised if the car responds to a gentle tug on the wheel except to let it know you have your hands on the wheel. It would be nice if it responds to the blinker. You might try approaching the same fork half a dozen times and signaling one way half the time and the other way half the time..

Mine *seems* to take a lane turn as input, based on the nag rate. It seems if I make a lot of lane changes without pressure on the wheel, I don't get the nag (because I don't want to be holding the wheel when it changes lanes!!!).

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and daniel
I have noticed that my Tesla app is now giving me notices when the app connects and disconnects. Has anyone else been getting these notifications too? I can't seem to dismiss them like all other charging notifications. Not sure what the real purpose is. When it's connected I did see that it allows you to open the frunk or trunk and uock the doors. I'm assuming this is so you don't have to open the app all the time?

Mine *seems* to take a lane turn as input, based on the nag rate. It seems if I make a lot of lane changes without pressure on the wheel, I don't get the nag (because I don't want to be holding the wheel when it changes lanes!!!).

I always hold the wheel lightly.

Thanks for posting this. I noticed mine slowing down on curves and wondered if this was part of the programming or some weird fluke. Good to know it's actually the car deciding. I disagree with the notion that we're getting close to FSD, but "close" is a relative term. My Model 3 really is the most amazing technology I've seen in quite a while.

I have noticed that my Tesla app is now giving me notices when the app connects and disconnects. Has anyone else been getting these notifications too? I can't seem to dismiss them like all other charging notifications. Not sure what the real purpose is. When it's connected I did see that it allows you to open the frunk or trunk and uock the doors. I'm assuming this is so you don't have to open the app all the time?

I do not get notifications from the app about connecting and disconnecting. But could you clarify?: Are the notifications because the app is connecting/disconnecting from Tesla's servers (which the app has to go through if you are not in BT range) or is it connecting/disconnecting to/from the car? My app almost never can connect to the car because if I'm not using the car it's probably in sleep mode and won't connect. Exceptions are if the car is unlocked or charging. My phone pretty much always has a connection to the internet. At home via my home wi-fi, and I've enabled cell data for the app, though I might change that for being unnecessary, since the car's never awake anyway unless I'm driving it. And at home it charges at 1:00 a.m. when I'm sleeping.

I think that is the Andoid answer to a lack of a widget like iOS has.

Yes, I noticed that the temperature has to be turned down lower than before to achieve the same level of comfort. I don't precondition the car unless it's really hot inside (>110F) and has been in the sun. If the app says the interior is around 90F after setting around in partial shade, I'd expect the HVAC to be on a pretty high speed when I first get in the car to get it to cool quickly. However, when I get in the car with it set at 72F, the fan stays at a relatively low speed and it feels uncomfortable for a few minutes unless I change the set temp manually.

I noticed that the front seat fan speed is higher if the back seat vents are on and slower when it's off. Probably due to needing to push more air physically farther. If I keep the back seat vents on, the temperature tends to come down to a more comfortable level faster as a result, but then the trade off is that it gets colder than the temperature I've set and I have to turn the temp up.

With how difficult it is to work the HVAC controls when the car is moving, it's just the latest annoyance that should be easily fixable.
I've noticed the same thing and today I saw that some are reporting a bug that came with 32.2 concerning the AC. Tesla is answering those that called about it, that it is a known issue and will be fixed in an upcoming update.

It's definitely connecting to the car. Last night I was in my famy room which is on the same floor area as the garage and really not that far away from the car and i got the notice that I was connected to the car. I just never got that before. The app had also updated several hours earlier so I wondered if this was a new thing.

Do we all get the new computer, or only those who pay for FSD?

Obviously only those who paid for FSD. No need to replace the autopilot computer if it will not be used.

Keep in mind: This is _not_ regarding the MCU. The MCU (the computer with the big screen) will NOT be replaced. This is about the Autopilot computer, which is a separate computer. You can easily verify this. You can reboot the MCU (2 button reset) while driving on Autopilot, and autopilot will continue to work fine.

Obviously only those who paid for FSD. No need to replace the autopilot computer if it will not be used.

Keep in mind: This is _not_ regarding the MCU. The MCU (the computer with the big screen) will NOT be replaced. This is about the Autopilot computer, which is a separate computer. You can easily verify this. You can reboot the MCU (2 button reset) while driving on Autopilot, and autopilot will continue to work fine.

I'm waiting a little while before buying the fsd package. I heard those people will get the new computer when that comes out. Any idea when that would be?

What I don't know, is whether the autopilot software we get with EAP will work better with a better, faster computer. Obviously, the original intention was that the computer in the car now would be adequate for FSD. They decided it would not be. But FSD is really just more and better autopilot features that the autopilot features we get with EAP. Will running the EAP software faster result in better performance of the car? I don't know this and at this stage I think you'd have to know exactly how the software works to know if a faster computer would do better.

So I think it's too early to assert categorically that replacing the computer would result in no improvement.

As long as it works as advertised, Tesla is under no obligation to replace the computer for the rest of us. But in the past, Tesla has gone so far above what's required in customer service, that it would not surprise me if they replaced it for everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
2018.32.2 seems to be much smoother in coming to stops when there are cars at a stop light than previous versions. I'm quite happy with this. I still have to give it a tiny bit of a nudge on the go pedal when the car ahead starts moving. Then it follows along quite well and picks up speed as I think it should. It may be just "minor bug fixes" but I think those fixes have made a noticeable improvement in AP functioning in city driving.

This car just keeps getting better.

Reactions: jrad6515
I would be extremely surprised if the car responds to a gentle tug on the wheel except to let it know you have your hands on the wheel. It would be nice if it responds to the blinker. You might try approaching the same fork half a dozen times and signaling one way half the time and the other way half the time.

I actually think that if they've added this behavior they'd document it in the release notes because some way to tell the car which fork to take would be a big thing. My experience (28.1, I have not done enough driving since getting 32.2) is that it will follow the lines if there are lines, it does not take turn-offs, at least when I'm not signaling, and is unpredictable if there are no lines. Maybe it tries to determine which is the major continuation.

I have had similar experience, at times it seems you can give the car a hint with a little nudge to the wheel it seems to respond appropriately