Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update v8.1 2018.32.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe upgrade the FSD owners first, with EAP owners to follow.

Actually if you listen to the quarterly investors call the only people that would get the new computer are the ones that purchase the fsd. I would pay careful attention to the wording because if they change it then they are not obligated for all new car purchases. But that question was asked specifically and the answer was only to the people who purchase fsd not to the ones who only purchased eap.

That's why I'm considering it here at some point soon. The computer swap is because of the fact that the promise was made that the car could support fsd with the existing hardware.

Obviously only those who paid for FSD. No need to replace the autopilot computer if it will not be used.

Keep in mind: This is _not_ regarding the MCU. The MCU (the computer with the big screen) will NOT be replaced. This is about the Autopilot computer, which is a separate computer. You can easily verify this. You can reboot the MCU (2 button reset) while driving on Autopilot, and autopilot will continue to work fine.

In the model 3 it's kind of the same thing there are two boards, on S/X it's a different box.

Today, driving in town, autosteer engaged, v 2018.32.2, I had three phantom braking events. One time, approaching a GREEN traffic light, no cars ahead of me, but a car in the lane to the left of mine had just pulled up from behind and come even with me. I have no idea if any of that is relevant, or the cause was something else entirely. One other time was approaching a traffic light that was green. No cars ahead of me. Since the car does not react to traffic lights, I think this is irrelevant. The third time was not near any traffic lights or anything else that I could identify as a possible cause.

In every case, a light touch on the go pedal over-rode the braking.

This car needs constant input from the driver. I'm okay with that. It's only level 2. Sometimes I have to give the car some input. It's still so much more relaxing to drive this way.

When I'm driving an old-fashioned car, which is basically anything other than an EAP-equipped Tesla, I'm impatient. I want to get where I'm going. I get upset when someone pulls in front of me, etc. But when I'm a passenger and someone else is driving, I'm relaxed and none of that bothers me. We'll get there when we get there.

When I'm driving my Model 3 using autosteer, it's almost like someone else is driving. Yes, I have to be alert and give the car some input. But I'm almost as relaxed as when someone else is driving.

I expect they'll deal with the phantom braking once they figure out what's causing it and in the mean time it's still the best car on the road. There will always be another feature I want, and I'll keep telling them about those, so they can keep making this car better and better. I see no contradiction between "This is the best car on the road, I love it," and "There are still things that need improving."

S/X have three(?) computers (not sure if MCU2 and the display behind the steering wheel share a CPU). The Model 3 has two. Intel that runs the MCU2 and Nvidia that runs the AP2.5 computer.

That depends actually. With the introduction of MCU2 the display behind the wheel is a second monitor to the MCU.
With MCU1 the display behind the wheel is an actually separate computer with its own screen.

I received this 2018.32.2 update late last night. I wasn't expecting it, but good to receive. I'll see if my vampire battery drain will be resolved within 24 hours. Otherwise, I'll have to hit up the service center.

To update on my post, it seems this update has improved my vampire battery drain for my TM3P with PU. I went from losing about 4-5 miles in about 12 hours to about 1-2 miles in abou 12 hours. Note that I have manually rebooted my car after the software update.

Now waiting on track mode and v9...

I've been hesitant to come post this as I've been burned thinking this was the case before, but... I've been on this release for 13 days now, and have had a grand total of zero instances where my car did not unlock and start with my phone comfortably in my pocket. I had not gone more than 2-3 days without the phone key failing in my prior 3+ months of ownership. Google Pixel 2 for anyone wondering.

Edit - I should have mentioned that I believe the updated phone app release with the persistent notification is also part of the 'fix.'

I've been hesitant to come post this as I've been burned thinking this was the case before, but... I've been on this release for 13 days now, and have had a grand total of zero instances where my car did not unlock and start with my phone comfortably in my pocket. I had not gone more than 2-3 days without the phone key failing in my prior 3+ months of ownership. Google Pixel 2 for anyone wondering.

Edit - I should have mentioned that I believe the updated phone app release with the persistent notification is also part of the 'fix.'

I don't doubt your experience, but I've had the car demand the card key to unlock twice just yesterday. 2018.32.2 and the most recent update of the Tesla app on my iPhone SE running iOS 10.3.3 (because of all the bad reviews of iOS 11). Most of the time, however, it works fine. I've noticed no difference from previous firmware versions as regards the phone key.

Maybe they fixed a bug that affected the Pixel phone.

Since this update, I've had several instances where the car would recognize my phone and let me in the car... but when I try to shift into any gear... it does nothing.

No prompts on the screen.. just wont shift into gear. I have to use the key card at the cupholders and then it will finally work. I submitted the bug reports via the car... hopefully they actually look at this issue.

On 32.2 for about a week and a half now and still having the occasional issue with unlocking by phone. Seems to be less frequent than before. Two problems for me yesterday though: could not get phone unlock until turning Bluetooth off then back on. Haven’t had to do that in the last 2 firmware versions. Also, on a 200-mile trip I had a phantom braking episode. Yes, this is easily corrected by driver input, but it is a huge surprise when it happens. This was on an Interstate with almost no other traffic and none near me. I don’t recall but could have been the infamous overpass issue on a bright and sunny mid-afternoon.