Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge HD Wave SE10000H Failure - Tesla Repair Time Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PROGRESS UPDATE (Day 14 without solar production): Spoke with SolarEdge Support again this morning, business day 8 since the RMA was approved. Inverter has still not shipped, but is "being prepared" for shipment. So much for the 5-7 business day shipping window.

This sucks for sure, on a number of levels. When your solar production is down (or off) it feels like you can see the dollar signs literally evaporating, at least to me. I am holding out hope for you that however long it takes, it is less than the "several weeks" that it would have taken if you just let tesla do it without your intervention at all.

Reactions: FLB46169
Does make you think about buying a back up inverter to have on hand. And of course going out when it’s summer and high solar production time for most makes the failure timing all the worse. Hope your replacement is on its way as we speak.

I am holding out hope for you that however long it takes, it is less than the "several weeks" that it would have taken if you just let tesla do it without your intervention at all.
I'm not sure what you mean here? He said he contacted SolarEdge, but SolarEdge told him he needed to talk to Tesla because Tesla had already opened an RMA for his inverter. So what intervention are you referring to?

I'm not sure what you mean here? He said he contacted SolarEdge, but SolarEdge told him he needed to talk to Tesla because Tesla had already opened an RMA for his inverter. So what intervention are you referring to?

Im referring to this:

Yeah, I tried that and SolarEdge quickly referred me back to Tesla since they had opened a case with them. All I could get from SE was they approved the RMA and had not shipped the inverter yet. SolarEdge would not give me a timetable for shipment. Back to Tesla today gives me the canned "4-6 weeks" answer. Seems I'm stuck in limbo between the two companies canned responses.

wondering if people’s units that are failing are located inside or outside the garage. We had ours installed inside our garage, opposite side of outer wall, and wondering if cooler location would prolong it’s life
I have 2 solar edge inverters, both located in the basement, in about as benign and constant temp conditions as I could hope for. First inverter died after 2 years, 3 months and second one died at 2 years, 10 months of service. First outage was 21 days (Oct) and second outage was 70 days (part of May, all of June, July, and part of August). The second replacement took so long because the replacement unit was DOA so had to start entire process again and because Tesla was always scheduling at least 3 weeks out, and sometimes rescheduled, adding more delays. Very frustrating. Thankful, tho, that when I lose one inverter that I still have some solar and Powerwall replenishment through the other inverter.

Would love to hear of anyone who has a SE inverter that has lasted more than 3 years.

Did Tesla notify you that you had a failed inverter or did you find out on your own? According to the post below, Tesla knows EVERYTHING that happens with their products so I would hope that Tesla was the one that notified you that your inverter had failed.
Tesla did notify me, but only after I had notified them. So their notification system seems to be disjointed from knowing that a trouble report is already in the system.

Our inverter from a April 2019 install just completely went dead as well. Was stuck in night mode. I had to contact Tesla. They did not contact me, and when it was confirmed as an issue it was 3 weeks to get them to
Come out and replace it.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
UPDATE (3 Weeks since Failure): I'll do my best to keep this clean. Received an e-mail from Tesla that I should schedule my service call through the app. I suspected this meant the inverter was received by Tesla. Tried to request a service call in the app, but that failed about 4 times, so I called Tesla Energy Support.

Support said that they would transfer me to scheduling. I asked if this meant the inverter was received and they said yes.

After a couple calls to get through to scheduling, I finally get a person that says "hold on while I check the schedule". When she comes back on the phone, I think I hear "we can have someone at you home between 8 and 10 AM on October 13th".

WWWHHHAAATTT??? That's 10 weeks from the failure date. You have got to be kidding me! (That's the clean version, at least I think so, I wasn't sure what I was saying/hearing).

I heard it right. October 13th is the first time they can get here. The minute I started complaining, I was told I would be put on the "cancellation list". Now, how good is a cancellation list if everyone is on it due to a 7 week lead time.

The person was very matter-of-fact about it, and asked "any questions?". At that point I knew I was done and just told her I was very unhappy and that I would let others know of the poor service.

So, unless a miracle occurs, nothing to report after this until October. Cross your fingers that none of the disturbances in the Atlantic ever cross central Florida and knock power out for more than a 12-15 hours. That's about all the back-up power I got with the AC running in August. Open to suggestions, if any, on how to move up the chain of support.

Thanks for listening.

UPDATE (3 Weeks since Failure): I'll do my best to keep this clean. Received an e-mail from Tesla that I should schedule my service call through the app. I suspected this meant the inverter was received by Tesla. Tried to request a service call in the app, but that failed about 4 times, so I called Tesla Energy Support.

Support said that they would transfer me to scheduling. I asked if this meant the inverter was received and they said yes.

After a couple calls to get through to scheduling, I finally get a person that says "hold on while I check the schedule". When she comes back on the phone, I think I hear "we can have someone at you home between 8 and 10 AM on October 13th".

WWWHHHAAATTT??? That's 10 weeks from the failure date. You have got to be kidding me! (That's the clean version, at least I think so, I wasn't sure what I was saying/hearing).

I heard it right. October 13th is the first time they can get here. The minute I started complaining, I was told I would be put on the "cancellation list". Now, how good is a cancellation list if everyone is on it due to a 7 week lead time.

The person was very matter-of-fact about it, and asked "any questions?". At that point I knew I was done and just told her I was very unhappy and that I would let others know of the poor service.

So, unless a miracle occurs, nothing to report after this until October. Cross your fingers that none of the disturbances in the Atlantic ever cross central Florida and knock power out for more than a 12-15 hours. That's about all the back-up power I got with the AC running in August. Open to suggestions, if any, on how to move up the chain of support.

Thanks for listening.

You and @Crimson_Order are both in Florida and both have your issues getting the short end from Tesla Energy. Crimson was ready to take out a billboard and publicly shame Elon. Think about how awesome this billboard will be if you both pool funds to publicly shame Elon.

I think @h2ofun may chip in too just for the lulz since he always has nice things to say about Tesla Energy.

Where is the "stirring the pot" emoji when you need it...

Reactions: X-pilot
You and @Crimson_Order are both in Florida and both have your issues getting the short end from Tesla Energy. Crimson was ready to take out a billboard and publicly shame Elon. Think about how awesome this billboard will be if you both pool funds to publicly shame Elon.

I think @h2ofun may chip in too just for the lulz since he always has nice things to say about Tesla Energy.

Where is the "stirring the pot" emoji when you need it...
Yep, SO glad I used a 3rd party. They replaced my bad inverter the day after SE sent it to me. :)

You're not alone. @FLB46169 I'm also 2 months before I can get someone out to my house to look at why I'm not producing. Tweeting Elon hasn't done anything for me. lol

I started a separate thread describing my situation, but I noticed you called out a specific error code 18xB7. How did you determine that? I don't have a display on my SE, but installed their app and didn't see any error code there.

You're not alone. @FLB46169 I'm also 2 months before I can get someone out to my house to look at why I'm not producing. Tweeting Elon hasn't done anything for me. lol

I started a separate thread describing my situation, but I noticed you called out a specific error code 18xB7. How did you determine that? I don't have a display on my SE, but installed their app and didn't see any error code there.

IMO, error codes mean nothing to us. Bad is bad, and just has to be replaced. Yep, some installers are better than others.

My inverter has a display and it shows as attached. I'm guessing the new inverter may not have the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 184
I see. Yes it's a different version of it. I don't know what is newer vs older, but the one I have does not but does have the Solar Edge app which does appear to give a bunch of info, but nothing that is an obvious error code. Thanks.
I just do not understand. All I did was call SE. They connected to the inverter, and saw there was an issue, which I could not see, but who cares, they said it was bad. So thats when the RMA could started. Have you had SE connect to the inverter and verify it needs to be replaced. If so, nothing else to do but get the RMA process going. Nothing is going to "fix" and bad inverter

I see. Yes it's a different version of it. I don't know what is newer vs older, but the one I have does not but does have the Solar Edge app which does appear to give a bunch of info, but nothing that is an obvious error code. Thanks.
My original SE inverters had displays. My new ones do not. I can see the status, and also any error codes, I believe, by going to the menu in the Solar Edge app, choose Inverter Status, then it will have you scan the QR code on the inverter.