Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original supercharging fee was outrageous...
Sure there's a convenience and maintenance factor but the original $2000 at the typical electricity price in the midwest of $0.12/kW would have paid for nearly 16,667 kW of electricity. If 60kW lasted you a week then it would take over five years straight of charging solely at a supercharger to make up that expense at current energy prices assuming they received no discount for non-peak charging.

People keep forgetting that the $2,000 fee for Supercharging covers two parts: $1,400 for the DC fast charging hardware already installed in the car, and $600 to support the network and pay for electricity. (The $1,400 enables CHAdeMO charging, then the extra $600 enables Supercharging.) Note: Tesla doesn't explicitly say that, but if you look at the cost to enable CHAdeMO and Supercharging it becomes pretty obvious.

And $600 worth of electricity is closer to ~12k miles if my memory is correct.

What we can hope is that the cost of the Supercharging hardware will come down significantly with the Model 3. But if they include, and enable, it with every car, enabling CHAdeMO and maybe CCS charging, then it should only cost ~$600 to enable Supercharging.

And back on topic, take a look at Top of the Mark

San Francisco Restaurant - Top of the Mark

Restaurants and Hotels will give you a free fill up if you'll grab a drink, dinner or stay the night. I would also suggest that having a drink or dinner at a hotel that could provide a full charge in 3-4 hours.

Maybe it is fascinating....lol.

I don't put any value on having a nation-wide network - Just like I don't put any value on free wifi across the nation at every Starbucks.

I don't care about the Starbuck in NY or MS or anywhere else.

I will stop using it when I reach $2500 in usage. That's going to be a long time from now.

They can easily give me my $2500 dollars back.

I suppose the main difference between myself and others in this thread is that you guys care about Tesla. Your choice. They are nothing more than a vendor to me. Just like Starbucks and McDonalds.

1. You should put a value on a nationwide network. It's awesome to be able to drive anywhere, anytime.

2. Don't stop at $2500. Be an ambassador. Tell 10 friends to buy the car and help first timers that you see when you are charging. Or not.

3. Tesla may just be a "vendor" to you, but you don't have other fast charging alternatives. You have hundreds or thousands of choices for burgers and coffee. That will (eventually) change.

#DriveFree

DC to DC is easy and doesn't require an inverter.
I've considered converting an old car once, but the costs of the motor and the battery I had found prohibitive.

There are a couple guys that do really nice work though converting cool cars to electric on Youtube.

What is the problem with that? I pay $2500 for supercharging and I use $2500 worth of super charging.
I agree with you that you should be able to charge whenever you want, but something to consider is that by paying for supercharging, you're subsidizing the creation of newer superchargers down the line and also maintenance of existing superchargers, which not only lets you continue your local supercharging, but gives you more options when traveling.

You shouldn't expect to get $2500 of electricity. You should expect to get some portion of that in electricity, and the rest going toward maintenance, new locations, and research for new charging technology. All of those benefit you and you shouldn't expect to get that for free.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say you're getting a darn good deal for that price. Tech is expensive and a one-time fee is nice.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
3. Tesla may just be a "vendor" to you, but you don't have other fast charging alternatives. You have hundreds or thousands of choices for burgers and coffee. That will (eventually) change.

#DriveFree

What? There are thousands of alternatives. This time next year....there will be more charging alternatives than burger joints.

Plugshare provides thousands of electric charging options. Download the app for your phone. PlugShare

Last edited:
I agree with you that you should be able to charge whenever you want, but something to consider is that by paying for supercharging, you're subsidizing the creation of newer superchargers down the line and also maintenance of existing superchargers, which not only lets you continue your local supercharging, but gives you more options when traveling.

You shouldn't expect to get $2500 of electricity. You should expect to get some portion of that in electricity, and the rest going toward maintenance, new locations, and research for new charging technology. All of those benefit you and you shouldn't expect to get that for free.

"I WILL" get my $2500 worth. If Tesla wants donations....they should ask.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Please provide citation for $1400 hardware cost. Tesla may be charging a hardware and access charge that I've never seen broken out.

On this page, make sure you pick Fast Charging Onboard Hardware Activation since that is necessary to use CHAdeMO charging, and that costs $1,900. (This is included in the $2,500 Supercharging fee.)

On this page adding Supercharging to a Model S 60 costs $2,500; this also enables CHAdeMO charging. (That is a $500 change fee more than at the time the car was purchased.)

I made two assumptions:
  1. The Fast Charging Onboard Hardware Activation fee, $1,900, has a $500 change fee built in just like the Supercharing and Autopilot when not purchased at the time you get your car. Which makes the hardware activation actually cost $1,400.
  2. The difference between the onboard hardware activation and Supercharging activation is $600 and that is what goes towards supporting the Supercharging network and your electricity.
And remember Supercharging cost $2,000 when the car was ordered, $2,000 - $600 = $1,400. So Tesla's prices are consistent both when the car is ordered and for after the fact additions.

The car battery is DC so it's DC to DC... I can build that hardware for under $20. $50 if I attach a small computer to it.

What magic hardware are you talking about?

I think most of it is in the HV junction box. I assume that since Tesla charges $1,400 for it it costs a little more than $20. (How much does each contactor that controls the flow of power cost? I think you would need at least 4 of them for starters along with lots of hardware to provide safety checks, etc. And they probably bundle the software costs in with that.)

"I WILL" get my $2500 worth. If Tesla wants donations....they should ask.
Go for it! The only thing... I fear you may end up buying another Tesla before getting your $2500 worth, which means you will need to stack another $2500 on top of that, then when the time comes to buy another Tesla, add another $2500 on there...

You may be digging yourself deeper in the electricity hole and inadvertently funding the things I outlined above!

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
We're talking about a million cars on the road by the end of 2018 at the earliest. Tesla can keep up with
What? There are thousands of alternatives. This time next year....there will be more charging alternatives than burger joints.

Plugshare provides thousands of electric charging options. Download the app for your phone. PlugShare

oh really? Please share with me all the empty to full in an hour chargers offered by Plugshare.

Or even the fastest charger in Chicago.

We'll wait.

Reactions: newtman
We're talking about a million cars on the road by the end of 2018 at the earliest. Tesla can keep up with

oh really? Please share with me all the empty to full in an hour chargers offered by Plugshare.

Or even the fastest charger in Chicago.

We'll wait.

What are you talking about? You said there aren't any alternatives. Plugshare shows that there are. Period. I don't use PlugShare....I paid for Supercharging. I'm going to use it.

I don't use PlugShare - I use Superchargers. I have data on SuperChargers as far as how fast they charge my car and how much it would cost at my house KWH charge.

Go for it! The only thing... I fear you may end up buying another Tesla before getting your $2500 worth, which means you will need to stack another $2500 on top of that, then when the time comes to buy another Tesla, add another $2500 on there...

You may be digging yourself deeper in the electricity hole and inadvertently funding the things I outlined above!

You may be right. Sounds logical. However I'm going to keep Supercharging till I get my M3.

I think most of it is in the HV junction box. I assume that since Tesla charges $1,400 for it it costs a little more than $20. (How much does each contactor that controls the flow of power cost? I think you would need at least 4 of them for starters along with lots of hardware to provide safety checks, etc. And they probably bundle the software costs in with that.)
I'm sure the contactors required for this application are not cheap. You'd be spending a few hundred on each I'd imagine, although I'm sure Tesla gets a mean bulk discount.

You may be right. Sounds logical. However I'm going to keep Supercharging till I get my M3.
I'm going to do the same once I get my 3. However, I'm going to keep an eye out for Teslas with out-of-state plates when all the stalls are full so I can give up my spot for them. I still believe long distance travel trumps local charging because those people have no other choice. Not tryna be a dick here.

I'm going to do the same once I get my 3. However, I'm going to keep an eye out for Teslas with out-of-state plates when all the stalls are full so I can give up my spot for them. I still believe long distance travel trumps local charging because those people have no other choice. Not tryna be a dick here.

Absolutely. I have been and will continue to do the same. If there is someone that shows up with out of state plates...I will disconnect and let them use it.

I charge at a place where there is only 1 charging station unit. It's a long way from any expressway and I have never seen an out of state plate show up when I was there....however ethically I will gladly give up my spot and come back later.