Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Has anyone had issues with the AMD chips?

Posting for my MIL. Was supposed to take delivery of her car Monday in BC. Signed the papers but then couldn’t leave with it since it had a few error codes before she could leave the lot. Steering, parking assist and parking brake. They first suspected a harness issue and came back again saying because it has the AMD chip that appears to be the root cause but still might be a harness issue. They still are unsure what exactly is wrong (which harnessif any) but apparently they have the engineers involved.

I haven’t read through the whole thread so sorry if I’m asking something I should know the answer to. What else is different with these AMD cars?

Cheers!

Hello all,

Posting for my MIL. Was supposed to take delivery of her car Monday in BC. Signed the papers but then couldn’t leave with it since it had a few error codes before she could leave the lot. Steering, parking assist and parking brake. They first suspected a harness issue and came back again saying because it has the AMD chip that appears to be the root cause but still might be a harness issue. They still are unsure what exactly is wrong (which harnessif any) but apparently they have the engineers involved.

I haven’t read through the whole thread so sorry if I’m asking something I should know the answer to. What else is different with these AMD cars?

Cheers!
Oh if anyone is wondering the vin is 370xxx from BC Canada

Hello all,

Cheers!
Yeah, I picked mine up a couple weeks ago. After an update all wireless radios would stay “initializing”. After a visit to the SC they determined the MCU is toast and I need a new one. There are no replacements available or ETA so I went and picked up my super neat broken car to continue to drive.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Has anyone gone from MCU2 to MCU3 and noticed an improvement to the backup camera lag? I keep my backup camera up on the screen (and I have FSD) and it lags pretty bad sometimes.
Yes. Multiple people have reported that the blind spot cameras and rear view cameras fill in faster and don’t seem to suffer from lag.

Reactions: VikH
MYP thread I regularly follow awaiting mine with people confirming Intel
Check out r/ModelY and r/TeslaLounge on Reddit, multiple current posts going on.

No, but they have confirmed with more than one source at Tesla that it's not Ryzen or the other upgrades and this is for multiple people. Seems to be for 376+ VIN's, including 376, 378, 380 from one's I've seen today. I was in denial at first too 🤣
I will believe it when I see photos, but honestly it would not surprise me if Tesla sprinkles in some Intel chips again in the future. The computer chip supply chain issue is real, and Musk acknowledged it was impacting them in his call two weeks ago. Just me speculating, but why wouldn’t they continue to order Intel processors as a backstop, just in case their AMD deliveries fall short. They want to keep pushing cars out the door, and don’t need to have a bunch of unfinished cars sitting in their lots for want of a chip like happened to Ford and GM last year.

Mine is 378 build date 2/7 picking up 2/11. Don’t know if it has AMD but assume it does given it just came off the production line 2/7 according to my SA. Will be disappointed if it has Intel.
I will believe it when I see photos, but honestly it would not surprise me if Tesla sprinkles in some Intel chips again in the future. The computer chip supply chain issue is real, and Musk acknowledged it was impacting them in his call two weeks ago. Just me speculating, but why wouldn’t they continue to order Intel processors as a backstop, just in case their AMD deliveries fall short. They want to keep pushing cars out the door, and don’t need to have a bunch of unfinished cars sitting in their lots for want of a chip like happened to Ford and GM last year.
In the other thread it’s very consistent since yesterday anyone with 376+ is getting INTEL and rejecting for the most part and they were built in February. I know SA’s have been wrong many times but this is very consistent with multiple people on different platforms contacting various people at Tesla with screenshots. Think as you like.

One can only hope that the shortage of AMD chips is at Fremont, and the first Austin cars are getting the latest and greatest.... at least until Austin runs out, too.

If this is 100% chip shortage, Austin will have both also to prevent line down situation. Also, right now, I've only heard MYP built this week getting affected with Intel chipset. I haven't heard of any MYLR production built this week having intel chipset (maybe this week is MYP build week)

As always when calling SA, ask for the build date which is just as important as asking for what chipset. VIN numbers are randomized batches.

Built date 1/6 till 2/6 seem to have majority AMD.

In the other thread it’s very consistent since yesterday anyone with 376+ is getting INTEL and rejecting for the most part and they were built in February. I know SA’s have been wrong many times but this is very consistent with multiple people on different platforms contacting various people at Tesla with screenshots. Think as you like.
How many people have reported that they are getting an Intel chip? I’ve only seen a couple, and none of those vehicles have been delivered or confirmed. It also doesn’t make sense that they would go back to lead acid 12v at the exact same time they are allegedly going back to Intel Atom processors. Something isn’t adding up. It very well could be a bug in their management software that mistagged the features.

Reactions: nicpottier
How many people have reported that they are getting an Intel chip? I’ve only seen a couple, and none of those vehicles have been delivered or confirmed. It also doesn’t make sense that they would go back to lead acid 12v at the exact same time they are allegedly going back to Intel Atom processors. Something isn’t adding up. It very well could be a bug in their management software that mistagged the features.
Ryzen and 15v Li-Ion go together. Intel cars have a different wire harness that requires the 12v Lead acid. This appears to be a complete switch back.