Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some advise needed for a long road trip with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Click the energy button, then click on trip. It'll show you how your expected energy usage between stops (if you're using the onboard nav to go from supercharger A to supercharger B, it'll show you with what SOC you'll arrive and if you're above/below target).

It's useful, but they added the destination SOC to the map, so I don't use it that much anymore. Basically, if you're speeding and you continue to see arrival SOC decreasing, you probably want to slow down.

The nav's calculations are way too conservative to be useful. For example, it always tells me I need to stop at Superchargers far more frequently than is necessary. By using the nav energy and math, I can easily calculate my actual energy use and my tolerance for dropping below 5% allows me to skip SCs and particularly those that are way off the beaten path (eating energy to get to them and after filling up, wasting that to get back to the road).

Its certainly easier to just trust the nav but I also disagree with some of its navigation choices (evtripplanner is nice but also can be off depending on altitude shifts (which is overestimates losses as long as you can avoid hitting the physical brake).

The nav's calculations are way too conservative to be useful. For example, it always tells me I need to stop at Superchargers far more frequently than is necessary. By using the nav energy and math, I can easily calculate my actual energy use and my tolerance for dropping below 5% allows me to skip SCs and particularly those that are way off the beaten path (eating energy to get to them and after filling up, wasting that to get back to the road).

Its certainly easier to just trust the nav but I also disagree with some of its navigation choices (evtripplanner is nice but also can be off depending on altitude shifts (which is overestimates losses as long as you can avoid hitting the physical brake).
We're talking about different things here.

I'm talking specifically about the energy usage when you plan a route. I'm not talking about the route the nav takes you, or when it recommends for you to charge (you can always click on avoid supercharging stops, or whatever the link is that shows up), etc. Yes, if you change the route, the energy usage changes too, but if you're watching it and your reserve goes from 10% to -2%, you know you should be worried.

We travel with two kids - 11 & 14. Each of them brings a bag of their choice + a water bottle of their choice.

Typically they select a string backpack bag (they give them away a lot at school a lot) & a stainless S'well bottle. There is plenty of room on the floor between them. They can bring whatever fits in the bag, but they are responsible for it.

Sometimes, depending on trip length, they bring a pillow.

Get some portable power packs to keep the iPads charged so you don’t need to use the cars USB plugins and have wires running from the console. Maybe a small squeegee, ice scraper, and a bit of washer fluid or have it topped off before leaving.

There shouldn’t be too much waiting at the Superchargers with the recent choke points expansion at Mt Shasta and Grants Pass if you’re using the I5 for your route. Most Superchargers have restaurants and restrooms close by from my experience driving down to Palm Springs and back this past summer.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
I got kangaroo pouches and installed them into the seat backs. Great for everyday life but essential for road trips. The webbing has stayed strong after 1 year. Should last 5+.

Kangaroo Pockets: Seat Back Mesh Storage for 2012 - 2016 Tesla Model S (Set of Two)

(its on sale!)

I also got some storage bin solution for the trunk that allows me to pack food and water bottles securely in the footwell without stuff sliding around. It also helps pin the two side wells' content (because they are all connected).

I got a different one than the link (it was for a truck but it fit) but I can't find my purchase information...anyways this will do the trick.

Trunk Organizer for Tesla Model S

We love taking road trips with the model S and we love the all glass roof. Instead we converse and play games (and take naps). AP is really a boon because I can participate a bit more in the conversation and games than normal. I can still focus on driving but it alleviates the burden. We find the time flies and we get regular 3-4 hour breaks to supercharge which helps burn off some of that energy and promotes circulation. So I find the entire experience wonderful. With added storage all around, we bring books for those that can read while in a car (I get motion sickness) and snacks and water (there are 6 cupholders so that helps). I stuff snacks into the console storage bin past the 2 cup holders (if you have it configured as cup holders). Napkins and tissues in the flip storage. Even the glove compartment is handy on road trips (we store silverware and whatnot because we avoid fast food if possible).

Camping in the S instead of hotels is also quite pleasant. A queen airmattress fills the trunk+rear seat folded down area. Depends on where you are but your route might be favorable.
These kangaroo pockets are not compatible with the 2017 Model S seats. :(

One side benefit of trips in the tesla is that every few hours you need to stop and get out of the car.

as for drugging your children, really?
serious is irrelevant, it is a repulsive statement.

I agree... never drug a child on road trips. You need to their small hands to be very steady when you need them to hold your beer.

Also consider either paper maps or downloading maps to your phone. There are times when you have detours in unfamiliar territory and if you have no data connection you can get lost pretty quickly. In an ICE this isn't as big of a deal, since you can usually find a gas station even if the most remote of places, in a Tesla you need to be able to get back on known roads to ensure that you will have the ability to recharge. Google Maps allows for offline storage of maps, as do a bunch of other map apps (I used Backcountry Navigator).

If you lose data you lose your ability to look up addresses by name (i.e. "Navigate to Fred's Pizza"). But I thought the actual Nav mapping was an offline feature.

I know that when I haven't had cell coverage I would get prompted to enter an address manually. And that the mapping and GPS part of the Nav system still worked.

• Informative
I agree with earlier suggestion to bring along something to clean the windshield. I did a road trip from Vancouver to Bay Area and back along I-5 route last fall - someone helpfully provides squeegees and buckets of water at the Centralia Supercharger but that seems to be unique along the way (you can find squeegees at the 76 gas station directly across the street at Mt Shasta SC, if required)

for road trips I keep a small cooler in the frunk for cold drinks, plus a separate 1G insualted jug of ice water to refill our water bottles - some of the Supercharger stops have limited selection of restaurants, and with kids you might want to limit fast-food stops for soft drinks anyhow.

you probably know there's no Supercharger in the Vancouver area, but depending where you are staying in the area if you won't have an overnight/destination charge or you want to top up at any of the many public chargers, send me a PM and I can give you tips on the best places to look. (check Plugshare too, of course)

Almost all of the public chargers in the area here are free to charge, you just pay the regular parking lot fee - so if you're going shopping or out for dinner anyhow you can often top up, albeit at slow L2 charge rate. There are a handful of places with free parking AND free charging, including some free Tesla 80A HPWCs, if you know where to look. Oh and BTW, most of the public chargers here are on the ChargePoint network, and a handful of others FLO, so before you come, download those two apps and setup a free account to be able to easily activate the station.

re: busy Superchargers along the route during - I can't comment on Thanksgiving Day weekend traffic, but if it's any indication I survived this summer's solar eclipse traffic, driving my Tesla to central OR and back along I-5. Traffic was abnormally Insane especially on the way home after the eclipse and I did encounter full Superchargers at Woodburn and Centralia, and maybe I was lucky but I never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a charger to free up. Can't speak for the CA chargers during a long weekend.

Have a fun trip!

• Informative
I suppose it depends on the age and interest level of your kids, but you could have them play games, such as counting a type of car — EVs perhaps — or the number of unique states/provinces for license plates. For the latter, a printed map of USA/Canada can be used to check off the various state license plates seen (helps teach geography as well). With two kids it can be a competition: who can spot the most different license plates? It also is something for them to do at charging stops.

Like some others above, a squeegee and bucket live in my car for road trips, something I learned on my first road trip during bug season. Perhaps not a problem in late November, however.

I agree with earlier suggestion to bring along something to clean the windshield. I did a road trip from Vancouver to Bay Area and back along I-5 route last fall - someone helpfully provides squeegees and buckets of water at the Centralia Supercharger but that seems to be unique along the way (you can find squeegees at the 76 gas station directly across the street at Mt Shasta SC, if required)

for road trips I keep a small cooler in the frunk for cold drinks, plus a separate 1G insualted jug of ice water to refill our water bottles - some of the Supercharger stops have limited selection of restaurants, and with kids you might want to limit fast-food stops for soft drinks anyhow.

you probably know there's no Supercharger in the Vancouver area, but depending where you are staying in the area if you won't have an overnight/destination charge or you want to top up at any of the many public chargers, send me a PM and I can give you tips on the best places to look. (check Plugshare too, of course)

Almost all of the public chargers in the area here are free to charge, you just pay the regular parking lot fee - so if you're going shopping or out for dinner anyhow you can often top up, albeit at slow L2 charge rate. There are a handful of places with free parking AND free charging, including some free Tesla 80A HPWCs, if you know where to look. Oh and BTW, most of the public chargers here are on the ChargePoint network, and a handful of others FLO, so before you come, download those two apps and setup a free account to be able to easily activate the station.

re: busy Superchargers along the route during - I can't comment on Thanksgiving Day weekend traffic, but if it's any indication I survived this summer's solar eclipse traffic, driving my Tesla to central OR and back along I-5. Traffic was abnormally Insane especially on the way home after the eclipse and I did encounter full Superchargers at Woodburn and Centralia, and maybe I was lucky but I never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a charger to free up. Can't speak for the CA chargers during a long weekend.

Have a fun trip!

Very informative... Thanks a lot for taking time to write this detailed post. Really appreciate it.

I am staying at my brother's place in Surrey and he has a 30 amp dryer outlet that I can (hopefully) use. He mentioned that there might be issues with making it accessible to the car though, but we will see. I will keep PlugShare in mind to look for charging spots. I found this place - Art Knapp South Surrey Outdoor Living Centre - that has Tesla HPWC connections for free and is closer to my brother's place in case I need to go there to charge. Although, I am hoping that a charge to 100% at Burlington will help me survive few days in Vancouver area and then back to Burlington without having to recharge.

I suppose it depends on the age and interest level of your kids, but you could have them play games, such as counting a type of car — EVs perhaps — or the number of unique states/provinces for license plates. For the latter, a printed map of USA/Canada can be used to check off the various state license plates seen (helps teach geography as well). With two kids it can be a competition: who can spot the most different license plates? It also is something for them to do at charging stops.

Like some others above, a squeegee and bucket live in my car for road trips, something I learned on my first road trip during bug season. Perhaps not a problem in late November, however.
The kids play a similar game with the car makers sometimes. I used to have a BMW and currently have a Honda Odyssey. One of my daughters has claimed BMW and the other one has claimed Honda and they try to complete by counting how many Honda vs. BMW they see. It is a not really a fair competition in Bay Area though :)

Great idea on the license plates and states! Thanks.

Do they generally let EVs charge in their facilities? Do they have a fixed fee structure for EV charging? If not, should I offer to pay them? If yes, how much?
There's usually no problem. If you really have to stop by, you might need one of these adapters:
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

Also, it is not a bad idea to plan your itinerary ahead of time. That way you can incorporate having a meal or quick shopping/local attraction stop while the car is supercharging. It doesn't feel like a waste of time or unnecessary delay then.

Also consider either paper maps or downloading maps to your phone. There are times when you have detours in unfamiliar territory and if you have no data connection you can get lost pretty quickly. In an ICE this isn't as big of a deal, since you can usually find a gas station even if the most remote of places, in a Tesla you need to be able to get back on known roads to ensure that you will have the ability to recharge. Google Maps allows for offline storage of maps, as do a bunch of other map apps (I used Backcountry Navigator).
This is an excellent point.

I've driven through most of Maine, and having no data connection gets old real quick.