Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bit of a false positive.

It's very plausible that tesla has implemented some software limiting in an effort to contain hardware degradation.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "false positive" in this context?

Anything is possible, but I don't see the logic in applying software limits to new hardware that presumably hasn't degraded yet. Clearly, it's not a universal constraint on every single Supercharger, so why would it be applied selectively to certain ones?

Reactions: apacheguy
Ok... I haven't been on a long SC-powered trip anywhere lately (been flying about instead...) But this whole thread intrigued me, so I figured that I had time to kill after the Lakers home opener and thought to swing by Hawthorne with the loaner that we have and see what happens...

IMG_20161026_224454 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I was alone in stall 1A and decided not to keep moving around and it pretty much stayed at that level and even went down...

So, there's that.

Ok... I haven't been on a long SC-powered trip anywhere lately (been flying about instead...) But this whole thread intrigued me, so I figured that I had time to kill after the Lakers home opener and thought to swing by Hawthorne with the loaner that we have and see what happens...

IMG_20161026_224454 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I was alone in stall 1A and decided not to keep moving around and it pretty much stayed at that level and even went down...

So, there's that.

60Kw at 60% SOC is about right.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "false positive" in this context?

You're drawing an affirmative conclusion based on incomplete evidence.

...I don't see the logic in applying software limits to new hardware that presumably hasn't degraded yet.

It makes total sense. If hardware degradation is a problem, proactively preventing/slowing that degredation is a smart thing to do for tesla. Frustrating for users, sure, but definitely the right thing for tesla until they can implement a more robust solution.

Clearly, it's not a universal constraint on every single Supercharger, so why would it be applied selectively to certain ones?

The only thing that is 'clearly' clear is that it's not a 'universal constraint' on every supercharging event. As surmised already, its very plausible and very likely that the root cause is some confluence of variables which aren't always obvious to the end user.

60kW @ 60% SoC may be normal for a 60, 70, or 75kWh pack, but certainly lower than expected for a 85, 90, or 100kWh pack.
Remember, the fastest you can charge (in kW vs. SoC) is highly dependent on what size pack you have.
A highly traveled Tesla owner who holds the record for number of superchargers visited says a rule of thumb for proper supercharging speed for an 85 is SOC+charge rate in KW=120+/-10, I have found this to be quite reliable. Bjorn Nylands data also supports this.
charging-750x394.jpg

The only thing that is 'clearly' clear is that it's not a 'universal constraint' on every supercharging event. As surmised already, its very plausible and very likely that the root cause is some confluence of variables which aren't always obvious to the end user
Thank you for that note of sanity.

I just returned from an 820 mile roundtrip between San Mateo and Tustin (California) using various chargers along I5. I always had normal charge rates.

I have been traveling in CA for most of my recent trips and not one has performed as expected according to the superchargering website on tesla. However I have charged at AZ and it performed almost like what the website said. 45 minutes to 80% from almost empty. Any reason why California's supercharger doesn't work?

Here are the ones I been to in CA from worst charge rate to best:

San Juan Capistrano - 27KW
San Diego - mostly 50KW
Mountain view - 60KW
Tejon ranch - 50KW
Gilroy - 50KW
Burena Park - 60KW
Burbank - 70KW
Harris ranch - 80KW
Fountain valley - 80KW
Buttonwillow - 100KW

Overall they all suck because they all output around the same rate. Only Buttonwillow so far is the best and the only stand out. Note those numbers are the average. Most of them are without sharing stalls.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's also a false positive.
What I am trying to say is tesla is not software like limiting to protect against potential hardware degradation. It is physical degradation that is limiting the charge rate.

After reading quite a bit of this thread most are saying it is hardware related to the supercharger themselves not the cara though there might also be a few of those.

Most are occurring only CA.

Highly unlikely related to hardware degradation. I recent went to AZ supercharger both during normal business and at early hours and they work every time. ~75% for 45 minutes.

A number of folks have floated this possibility. I don't buy it. As you note it is occurring at relatively new superchargers like Buena Park and Buttonwillow that have degraded little. Additionally, service techs have been dispatched to several older SpC to conduct repairs and the results are the same...

A number of folks have floated this possibility. I don't buy it. As you note it is occurring at relatively new superchargers like Buena Park and Buttonwillow that have degraded little. Additionally, service techs have been dispatched to several older SpC to conduct repairs and the results are the same...
Well I think it is the combination of all these problem. Hardware and software included that is causing all these problem. I am sure tesla knows the reason for all these slow supercharging but they are not telling anyone. What we need is the media to come here and blow this story so tesla will be force to make a public announcement about these supercharging issues.