Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up 52### at the factory today. Was surprised to find lane departure and speed assist features installed and active. Also had parking sensors. Very happy. DS said cars made last week had new features. Cheers.

So they added them for free?
And what SW version do you have in that case?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW
I thought blind spot detection would be the next thing they added.
Based on this:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31917-New-Manual-What-s-new/page2?p=703052&viewfull=1#post703052
And this (really old) thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12274-Parking-and-Blind-Spot-sensors-assist

Note that this is the first post for the person that says he got park assist sensors, lane departure and speed assist on his car without having ordered them. To date, at least the parking assist sensors have been an additional cost option.

Quick reply to a few posts. Pre 6 software. Need to check exact 5.# version. Correct to infer I had not ordered parking sensors. I also did *not* order the hardware package. Just waking up here. I try to upload a photo in a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick reply to a few posts. Pre 6 software. Need to check exact 5.# version. Correct to infer I had not ordered parking sensors. I also did *not* order the hardware package. Just waking up here. I try to upload a photo in a bit.

sorry about typos. By "hardware package" I meant "tech package." Software from factory was v5.14.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about typos. By "hardware package" I meant "tech package." Software from factory was v5.14.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 59834

Wow, no tech package and you received parking sensors and this feature, very cool. I suspect the retrofit is either not possible or requires quite a few pcs of hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

They threw in the drivers assistance package and parking sensors for free? Also, I don't think those items were supported under 5.14. Can you take a picture of your version number? Should be some version of 6.0. Thanks.

Quick reply to a few posts. Pre 6 software. Need to check exact 5.# version. Correct to infer I had not ordered parking sensors. I also did *not* order the hardware package. ...Software from factory was v5.14.

A brand new S was delivered yesterday with V5.14? That's a surprise.

Of course the bigger surprise is that this new S owner did not order the Parking Sensor option but got it anyway along with two brand new features.

The Tesla website still shows parking Sensors as a $500 option and says nothing about the two new features that @Weeogg posted about. If he hadn't posted a photo of the new controls shown in the center display I would be skeptical, but at this point I believe the features really exist.

That statement that Parking Sensors and the two new features will now be standard on the S is pretty amazing. I love the was Tesla continually evolves the Model S without making a big deal about it and without tying the changes to the silly and outdated "model year" format that all other manufacturers use.

I paid for the Parking Sensor option but am not upset at all that it seems to now be included. Progress!

Last edited:
Software from factory was v5.14.

Aha. Wasn't 5.14 reported to have a higher version number than 6.0?

Also, Weeogg can you post a picture of the safety&security settings screen?

Ohh. And Is there a camera in the front for this?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see Blind Spot Detection and Adaptive Cruise as well.
Yes please! Lane departure and Speed assist are nice. But this is what I really want.

MobilEye. I had it installed on my car last year. But since my install was aftermarket I have a small round display mounted in left corner of dash top since it's not integrated to the Tesla screen. Wish I could now get it to integrate, but not holding out hope as Tesla so far has not seemed interested in offering these services to earl models.