Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this question in a "Battery/Charging" related thread, but everyone there was too busy discussing charge capabilities and numbers :rolleyes: so no one answered...

Has anyone here already purchased or can recommend a home charger?

Is it best to go with the Tesla one? or did you go with a generic?
Hello,
I'll tell you exactly what my advisor said:
"No one has time to wait 40+ hours to have your car re-charged... Also, Don't spend $500 PLUS your Electrician cost to have the Tesla Wall Adapter. That's just dumb. Just buy a Nema 14-50 Outlet for your house (Mine Cost Around $550 with Installation + Parts) and you'll be able to charge your car 8-10 Times Faster (Usually a full charge is within 8-10 hours)"

Ps. I don't have my car yet, but according to the picture below you can see the difference in charging time. You'll notice how the Nema 14-50 charges the Model 3 up to 30 Miles an Hour Faster than the traditional plug.

Also, buy the adaptor for the Nema 14-50 from Tesla (It's only $45 dollars)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-03 092926.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-03 092926.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: carvasd and GiFer
I asked this question in a "Battery/Charging" related thread, but everyone there was too busy discussing charge capabilities and numbers :rolleyes: so no one answered...

I don't know if its best to go with the Tesla branded charger... but I have a Grizzl-E charger. It goes up to 40 amps (I have it preset to 32 amps... because the model 3 SR+ will only take 32 amps I believe?). I have/had it set on 32 amps because I used it with my Bolt EV. I figured I would just use this one since I have it, instead of spending more money on a Tesla one and having to sell this one.

Reactions: GiFer

I went with a NEMA 14-50 as a more generic option. The Tesla charger ties you to Tesla and you'll need to make a change if you ever trade in your Tesla for, say, the hot new EV in 2026. At least theoretically, using a standards-based charger should allow you to charge future EVs as well as use it for other applications.

Reactions: GiFer and makirules
Just got a quote on a 14-50 outlet install. A decent chunk of the quote was on a recommended (by electrician) surge protector on the new circuit? Is this also recommended by Tesla/Tesla owners?
I had a 14-50 outlet installed in March for my Model 3. Got three quotes. One of the three recommended an emergency disconnect box (between the service panel and 14-50 outlet). The emergency disconnect box houses a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

Here's a few pictures after the electrician was done: Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday

Reactions: GiFer and makirules
i keep getting emails every morning to make final payment before delivery, but when i go in my account, nothing is there to make it im guessing it will pop up 24 hours before delivery. Also if anyone has already taken delivery, what is the process like for paperwork when you get to the dealership? does the guy/girl sit down and talk to you about everything you need to sign or is it already done before delivery on the account and its basically just a in and out process. My mother really insists on coming so she can get a ride in the car and i dont need her seeing how much im paying/putting down as a down payment.

Mine is moving tighter too.... despite my negativity earlier when it comes to the "pattern". New dates June 17 - June 26 (yesterday it said June 16 - June 27)
Mine is doing the same thing, first June 15-30 on Monday, then June 16-30 on Wednesday, now June 17-30 today (Thursday). I got an SR+, no FSD. Can’t wait to take delivery but after this third change I’m taking the window with a grain of salt.

Reactions: makirules and GiFer
i keep getting emails every morning to make final payment before delivery, but when i go in my account, nothing is there to make it im guessing it will pop up 24 hours before delivery. Also if anyone has already taken delivery, what is the process like for paperwork when you get to the dealership? does the guy/girl sit down and talk to you about everything you need to sign or is it already done before delivery on the account and its basically just a in and out process. My mother really insists on coming so she can get a ride in the car and i dont need her seeing how much im paying/putting down as a down payment.
I don't know for sure, but they specify "touchless delivery" so I think you do most of it beforehand. Then you just sign a couple papers and you're off. That's my understanding anyway.

Mine is doing the same thing, first June 15-30 on Monday, then June 16-30 on Wednesday, now June 17-30 today (Thursday). I got an SR+, no FSD. Can’t wait to take delivery but after this third change I’m taking the window with a grain of salt.
If there is one thing I learned throughout this entire experience, is that you shouldn't pay too close of attention to the delivery dates. So yeah... I will look at them, but still wait for that text/email/call/schedule delivery button/whatever.

Reactions: temptingtime
I had a 14-50 outlet installed in March for my Model 3. Got three quotes. One of the three recommended an emergency disconnect box (between the service panel and 14-50 outlet). The emergency disconnect box houses a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

Here's a few pictures after the electrician was done: Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday
During my research, my understanding is you should not have a GFCI breaker because almost all if not all of the charges out there advise against it because you're not supposed multiple GFCI on the same circuit as they have it built-in. Tesla mobile connector does have it built in.