Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those who put their orders on hold. I put mine on hold until 12/08 ( 30 days after my VIN was assigned on 11/08) so that I can get it delivered sometime after 1/1/22. With that being said, if I were to get a VIN assigned on 12/09, would that mean I could have them hold the car for another 30 days before I take delivery?
My understanding is that if your VIN is assigned on Dec9 and you delay pickup for 22 days, they will immediately give the VIN to somebody else. They will then tell you that you are likely to get your next VIN in March or even later. If for some reason you get another VIN on January 1st, then you would need to take delivery by Jan9, otherwise your order will be completely canceled. Others - please correct if wrong.

How's the acceleration compared to what you test drove (SR+ I assume?)
They only had a LR when I test drove, so it was going to be different anyway. The car feels plenty fast. My old BMW M3 (E36) was low 5's 0-60, so this isn't far off that. I haven't tried to clock this one, but suspect the 5.8 number is pretty close.
Hi , with your LFP Model 3 ..Have you been charging it 100% daily. I know you just got the car recently but whts been your charging so far. Plug it all the time or every few days charging ? I think LFP they suggest charging up to 100% atleast once a Week
I only have about 150 miles on the car....but here is what I've done so far:
Charged it to 100% the first night (Saturday). Drove it about 40 miles Sunday, 50 Monday, and maybe 30 Tuesday. I've been leaving sentry mode on at home (garage is full with shop tools), and noticed significant drain over night (several percentage points). Tuesday it was at 41% when I got home, and I figured it would be around 35 or less by Wed morning. Not wanting to discharge below 20%, I decided to charge back up to 100% last night.

So that's my plan....charge to 100%, and drive until I'm approaching 20%, then rinse, repeat.

BTW - if you allow the Tesla app to access your calendar, the car's nav system loads up directions to your next appointment when you enter the car. Just walk up, open the door (no lock/unlock, it just happens), get in, put your foot on the brake, enter your pin (I strongly suggest using pin to drive), and everything is ready to go - route is loaded, climate and music are where you left them, and you are off to the races! You are going to love this car!

They only had a LR when I test drove, so it was going to be different anyway. The car feels plenty fast. My old BMW M3 (E36) was low 5's 0-60, so this isn't far off that. I haven't tried to clock this one, but suspect the 5.8 number is pretty close.

Charged it to 100% the first night (Saturday). Drove it about 40 miles Sunday, 50 Monday, and maybe 30 Tuesday. I've been leaving sentry mode on at home (garage is full with shop tools), and noticed significant drain over night (several percentage points). Tuesday it was at 41% when I got home, and I figured it would be around 35 or less by Wed morning. Not wanting to discharge below 20%, I decided to charge back up to 100% last night.

So that's my plan....charge to 100%, and drive until I'm approaching 20%, then rinse, repeat.

BTW - if you allow the Tesla app to access your calendar, the car's nav system loads up directions to your next appointment when you enter the car. Just walk up, open the door (no lock/unlock, it just happens), get in, put your foot on the brake, enter your pin (I strongly suggest using pin to drive), and everything is ready to go - route is loaded, climate and music are where you left them, and you are off to the races! You are going to love this car!
Thank you. These are invaluable tips you just shared. I might follow your recipe too. Lol. So basically no need to plug it in every night. Just drive around 3 days a Week and when battery drops to close 20% just charge again to 100%. Makes sense that way. I was thinking if i should keep it plugged in daily even if its not charging all the time.

Thanks for the info - patiently waiting for mine to arrive In Feb (hopefully)! I suspect I'll be charging more frequently in the winter here due to the extreme cold.

Reactions: TexaCali
Thank you. These are invaluable tips you just shared. I might follow your recipe too. Lol. So basically no need to plug it in every night. Just drive around 3 days a Week and when battery drops to close 20% just charge again to 100%. Makes sense that way. I was thinking if i should keep it plugged in daily even if its not charging all the time.
You should plug it in every night unless you have a reason not to. Especially with LFP, the more time it spends at 100% the better, is my understanding, which means plug it in every night at home.

Also one of the best parts of an EV is never having to think about charging/refueling for daily driving. If you don't plug in every night, now you have to think about charging. Just plug it in. :)

Charging strategy is endlessly debated, but I go against Tesla's instructions and I only plug in my 2018 LR Model 3 once every 6 days or so. I keep the car between 20% and 90% charge. After 3 years and 26K miles, it still charges to 301 miles at 100% for road trips (was 310 miles when I bought it). I think Tesla has to give a single instruction across all use cases, and if you live somewhere cold you should plug in every night. But in warmer weather, plugging in every 5 days for the nickel battery is fine. I haven't researched LFP any further than I heard it prefers to be at 100% charge.

Charging strategy is endlessly debated, but I go against Tesla's instructions and I only plug in my 2018 LR Model 3 once every 6 days or so. I keep the car between 20% and 90% charge. After 3 years and 26K miles, it still charges to 301 miles at 100% for road trips (was 310 miles when I bought it). I think Tesla has to give a single instruction across all use cases, and if you live somewhere cold you should plug in every night. But in warmer weather, plugging in every 5 days for the nickel battery is fine. I haven't researched LFP any further than I heard it prefers to be at 100% charge.
I think we need more real life scenarios and charging habbits for LFP. Would like everyone to share how they are charging their LFP M3.

Reactions: TexaCali and MY-Y
You should plug it in every night unless you have a reason not to. Especially with LFP, the more time it spends at 100% the better, is my understanding, which means plug it in every night at home.

Also one of the best parts of an EV is never having to think about charging/refueling for daily driving. If you don't plug in every night, now you have to think about charging. Just plug it in. :)
This is what I did with my prior EV - a 76 mile range Ford Focus Electric. With only 76 miles there was no choice but to plug it in every night. After 7 years and 60k miles, it had no obvious range loss. I also never ran it down lower than 20%.

I'm still trying to understand the best course for an LFP battery, but trying the charge every few days strategy, at least for the first week.

BTW - some more preliminary numbers....the LFP batteries are 60kWhr usable (not sure what the buffer is). To achieve the 272 mile range that implies 220 Whr/mile or less. With my whopping data sample of not quite 200 miles and 5 whole days of ownership, I'm showing a "lifetime" average of 212 Whr/mile - most of which is freeway driving in ~50 deg weather - which means I should exceed the range estimate.

For comparison, my FFE which was a smaller, slower, and lighter car, had a lifetime average of 250 Whr/mile after 60k miles. The M3 RWD is one efficient car!

This is what I did with my prior EV - a 76 mile range Ford Focus Electric. With only 76 miles there was no choice but to plug it in every night. After 7 years and 60k miles, it had no obvious range loss. I also never ran it down lower than 20%.

I'm still trying to understand the best course for an LFP battery, but trying the charge every few days strategy, at least for the first week.

BTW - some more preliminary numbers....the LFP batteries are 60kWhr usable (not sure what the buffer is). To achieve the 272 mile range that implies 220 Whr/mile or less. With my whopping data sample of not quite 200 miles and 5 whole days of ownership, I'm showing a "lifetime" average of 212 Whr/mile - most of which is freeway driving in ~50 deg weather - which means I should exceed the range estimate.

For comparison, my FFE which was a smaller, slower, and lighter car, had a lifetime average of 250 Whr/mile after 60k miles. The M3 RWD is one efficient car!
Gross pack capacity is reported to be 62.3 kwh so around 2.3 kwh buffer.

Reactions: TexaCali