Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really sorry to hear about this. I do think it’s possible that for a period of time they were so rushed they were slapping them together any way they could. I also think that was the exception, but it does seem clear that once you need customer service from Tesla, you’re screwed.

Best of luck.

He is screwed? They are fixing his car for free and gave him a free loaner. If that is screwed, I am not sure what I would call my last car and how I was treated. Man I wish they had "screwed" me.

I
Day 2 - I give the car a very close inspection to document all the paint issues to determine if I'm going to keep the vehicle or return it within the 7 days. I discover several more paint issues, a bump-out on the rear bumper and the window seals are wrinkled. I set up a service appt. via the mobile app to address some of these because I cannot get a hold of the service center.

I had a similar bump-out on my car:

Delivery issue? Protrusion / bump behind rear bumper cover

I noticed it upon delivery; they said they would create a due bill for it. No due bill was created; service center couldn't help me. I went to a body shop for an estimate, and they quoted $4,000+ to replace, paint, and install (paint blotch on the quarter panel too). Without getting any assurances from anyone at Tesla that they will repair it, I had no choice but to return the car.

I later found it for sale on the Tesla website for full price. Pictures still showed the defect, with the added bonus of an interior slathered in shiny interior protectant.

• Funny
Reactions: Mattzilla
I have been driving a Mercedes for 21 years, and am considering a Model 3. Stories like this scare the hell out of me.

It's my opinion that they are getting more and more rare. As Tesla ramps up, the cars are getting better. I've got a 2019 Model 3 and I'm generally really happy with the car overall. The order and delivery process are good, but I can see how trying to get anything done about issues during the delivery process could be near impossible. Tesla as a company is really rocky with customer service and QC, but the car itself is really great. Go test drive and look at one, touch and feel it.

I just wish I would have gone for the Performance model rather than the SR+.

Reactions: Common_Loon
Sorry to hear about your problems! I am glad there is movement to resolve your issues. In general, I find phoning the service center does not get the fastest response, going through the phone app is much better.
I had some issues early on with my M3, which Tesla fixed without delay. A few "problems" I reported were caused by me and service was very patient troubleshooting with me, only to find I was the cause!
I am positive you will be very happy with a Model 3 when all is resolved. Keep us posted.

Second Update:
After being without my new car for 27 days I got it back yesterday. They put 2 new rear motors in and also had to replace the rear subframe. Apparently the bushings were installed too deep into the sub frame. I was running late to get to my kids school so I got out of the service center without fully inspecting the car. When I got home I opened the trunk to find the liner was not put back in, there is also a small door scratch that was not there before. The car was returned filthy since it had been sitting outside during monsoon season for a month. It took 2 days but I finally got in touch with the service manager. He said that they would get me in asap to spot fix my paint issues. Another service adviser called and said that they could schedule me in 3 weeks to do the paint spot fixes and I would be without a car for another 2 weeks... I said that would put me well into the 30 business day territory to qualify as a lemon car under Colorado law. As soon as I said lemon, he told me to hold on for a second. He came back a minute later and said that the service manager would call me tomorrow and discuss a buyback/exchange. He said he could not say anymore until I spoke to the service manager. Apparently using the word lemon is a trigger for them. I will update once I find out more. Also the sentry cam is still not working even though they claim it is.
Will be interested in how this plays out - I keep thinking I love the car as long as nothing goes wrong (I've been lucky so far), but they can't even get basic stuff right - like I ordered a 10-30 plug - got confirm email but no shipping info or predicted date - no response to 3 emails asking about same (while the order I placed the same day on amazon for a splitter had shipped and arrived already)
As for the sentry - if you have android or win 10 have you tried vlc media reader? Also if android phone the free app TeslaCam/Sentry review which was developed by someone on this board?

Very hard to hear this. I purchased my model 3 two months ago and there were a few fit issues, but all were fixed very quickly and now I have a perfect car and absolutely love it! Please let us know what happens. I cant speak for everyone here, but I thing we will all try and help if Tesla does not. In my experience, Tesla has been great in correcting any and all issues.

I think they've delivered several hundred thousand model 3's, and I'm sure 99% of them are fine, don't rush the pickup, visually check it out.

99% is being rather optimistic. When I picked my car up Q3 last year the entire SC lot was overflowed with cars there getting rework from the factory and the techs were completely demoralized as they spent their days fixing issues on cars that left the factory in poor condition.

Tesla has needed to do a ton of rework on their cars (including my own poorly assembled copy) and cars continue to get delivered with glaring paint defects as evidenced by the daily threads on this subject.

Has Tesla quality improved, probably.

Does Tesla continue to deliver cars with paint/fitment/quality issues and just hopes that they go to a "not picky" customer who won't want them fixed... also probably true.

Last edited:
We purchased a BMW528i in 2013. It was the four cylinder turbo model. We purchased the four cylinder for the improved gas mileage, but I soon regretted it. The engine was under-torqued and the transmission was jerky. The car also had "Easy Entry" which was supposed to adjust the seats, steering column and mirrors to each driver based on each driver's key fob. "Easy Entry" never worked for me. The seats adjusted only half the time, and the mirrors adjusted almost never. The mirror issue was a safety problem.

I regretted that purchase for six years until we sold it and bought the Model 3.

I actually want to drive the Model 3. I never wanted to drive the 528i.

I think they've delivered several hundred thousand model 3's, and I'm sure 99% of them are fine, don't rush the pickup, visually check it out.

At least in central europe it`s currently ~75% crap and only 25% fine.

Streit über Qualitätsmängel: Tesla stoppt Model-3-Lieferungen an Nextmove - Golem.de

For those who don`t understand german, which is probably the majority here:
Nextmove, a german fleet operator, had ordered 100 Model 3s.
Only every fourth car of the first 15 delivered was in a shape where you could actually give it to a paying customer, some actually even had defects that would make them illegal to drive right from the get go.
A small excerpt form the list of issues contains the usual paint and body defects, but also faulty charge controllers, wrong cable trees, missing emergency call buttons etc..
Tesla has obviously also tried to sell cars as new that had already been registered to someone before which would`ve voided any european incentives.
According to Tesla at least the issue with the "not so new" cars has been solved by now (some VINs were obviously used several times).

However, it got so bad, that Tesla gave up and cancellled that 5 million contract over the remaining 85 cars.

Now nextmove is a very eco-focused Tesla friendly fleet operator and basically only commented that Tesla is now in service hell after they`ve left production hell behind, and that they hope that they´ll be able to pruchase functioning cars in the future.

...Imagine that situation for a few hundred private buyers though.

My colleague who has been waiting to get a model 3 for a while basically had the same negative experience as Nextmove, but since it was only one car I didn´t think much about it until I saw that article.

Reactions: Johnii__82
At least in central europe it`s currently ~75% crap and only 25% fine.

Streit über Qualitätsmängel: Tesla stoppt Model-3-Lieferungen an Nextmove - Golem.de

For those who don`t understand german, which is probably the majority here:
Nextmove, a german fleet operator, had ordered 100 Model 3s.
Only every fourth car of the first 15 delivered was in a shape where you could actually give it to a paying customer, some actually even had defects that would make them illegal to drive right from the get go.
A small excerpt form the list of issues contains the usual paint and body defects, but also faulty charge controllers, wrong cable trees, missing emergency call buttons etc..
Tesla has obviously also tried to sell cars as new that had already been registered to someone before which would`ve voided any european incentives.
According to Tesla at least the issue with the "not so new" cars has been solved by now (some VINs were obviously used several times).

However, it got so bad, that Tesla gave up and cancellled that 5 million contract over the remaining 85 cars.

Now nextmove is a very eco-focused Tesla friendly fleet operator and basically only commented that Tesla is now in service hell after they`ve left production hell behind, and that they hope that they´ll be able to pruchase functioning cars in the future.

...Imagine that situation for a few hundred private buyers though.

My colleague who has been waiting to get a model 3 for a while basically had the same negative experience as Nextmove, but since it was only one car I didn´t think much about it until I saw that article.

This is 100% FACT but don't tell it to the snowflakes here, they don't want to hear about it.

Tesla service is very poor and in many markets has actually gotten worse over the past 12 months.

I'm glad my car is finally in decent enough condition that I can thankfully avoid more SC visits fixing broken crap for hopefully the 1-2 years it will take for them to get things figured out.