Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I generally have found my local SC very helpful and willing to help resolve issues.

In this particular case though, things feel different. My requests for information and resolution are responded to with replies that don’t answer my original question or get me closer to a resolution.

I will continue to work with the SC for a resolution relying on the combined efforts of others to get Tesla to support their customers.

I don’t advocate legal action except as a last resort after all other avenues are exhausted. As the only winners in legal disputes are the lawyers.
I feel exactly the same. Normally great service, but now it seems I am just getting Tesla's Template responses, that often don’t even relate directly to my question. I feel like they have battened down the hatches, that an instructions has been issued to deny or refuse anything to do with batterygate. If they won’t listen or respond it may be time to change gear.

Has anyone with a scan tool brought up to Tesla that the available charge is now limited to 4 volts versus the 4.2? Or shared with them the data before and after the update? I am guessing yes and it didn’t help?

After this is fixed we need to ensure we get reporting from Tesla about our battery health printed out at a minimum. What other car company does not share data about the engine? How else can they prove the battery is truly healthy? Are we supposed to just blindly follow what they say? I don’t care if I am not a battery expert one thing I do expect is explanations on what is healthy and something to verify what a service tech is telling me.
Tesla told me my battery was healthy. Despite it losing 10kWh. So I guess they have their own definition of healthy (well they do have their own definition of Soon).

They also said they had compared it to all the other batteries of its age and mileage and it was fine, indeed slightly above average. How can that possibly be the case? I suspect they checked its ability to hold a charge against the new 100% rather than the old 100%. When asked what parameters they used to check, they wouldn’t say. It seems whenever I ask a truly pertinent question I get a 'I don’t know, they haven’t told us. I will pass it up the line' reply. Convenient really.

The people in this thread who post lies and bad information need to be truthsquaded. I will continue to do so until I get bored.

yes they did. Stop lying.

"Update: Tesla sent us the following response following the report:

“Delivering the best possible customer experience with the highest regard for safety has always been our priority, and we do not disregard either of these things as this complaint suggests. A very small percentage of owners of older Model S and Model X vehicles may have noticed a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge following a software update designed to improve battery longevity. As previously noted, we have been working to mitigate the impact on range for these owners and have been rolling out over-the-air updates to address this issue since last week.”
Tesla owner who saw range slashed by software update filed class action lawsuit - Electrek

Do you really think that their patent pledge means that they won't still protect their technology? Have you no business sense or intellectual curiosity to investigate things before you post at all? Tesla's Patent Pledge simply states that Tesla “will not initiate a lawsuit against any party for infringing a Tesla Patent through activity relating to electric vehicles or related equipment for so long as such party is acting in good faith.”

What does this pledge mean? "What this pledge means is that as long as someone uses our patents for electric vehicles and doesn’t do bad things, such as knocking off our products or using our patents and then suing us for intellectual property infringement, they should have no fear of Tesla asserting its patents against them."

Privacy & Legal | Tesla
It doesn't mean that they won't still protect their proprietary technology and trade secrets and even patented technology -- but only that they won't sue others.

The pitchfork crowd persists in trafficking in lies and ignorance.
You have a lot of nerve calling someone else a liar when you post false statements. Tesla said nothing about X or Z or any other basis for their update "to improve battery longevity". What people got from Tesla was denials that there was anything abnormal about their batteries.

Are you now accusing Elon that his patent pledge was as empty as his don't worry it's on us battery warranty promise is so far showing to be?

Not only are you not helping anyone here who has the problem or has a concern about such problems, but your comments undermine Tesla as well.

Tesla has true believers. They are not rational and they will attack anyone who complains about nearly anything that is wrong with Tesla.

It really doesn't affect them but they feel justified telling those who are affected how it shouldn't matter and then following that with shameless ad hominem attacks.

Litigation has often been the way companies and society achieve revolutionary reforms like Civil Rights, environmental protections and additional constitutional rights. Tesla can be made better but not by apologists.

Tesla has true believers. They are not rational and they will attack anyone who complains about nearly anything that is wrong with Tesla.

It really doesn't affect them but they feel justified telling those who are affected how it shouldn't matter and then following that with shameless ad hominem attacks.

Litigation has often been the way companies and society achieve revolutionary reforms like Civil Rights, environmental protections and additional constitutional rights. Tesla can be made better but not by apologists.

Two words: Thank You!

What are you saying? If you SuperCharge too much Tesla throttles you? First I hear of this... And not sure this would alleviate SC congestion. Seems counterintuitive.
They have done this as well for people who heavily use SCs, not to disincentivize them, but purportedly to protect the pack. I haven't run into throttling, but I understand the throttle is to 90kW from the ~103kW I'm getting now. That peak doesn't last long anyway, so I don't think it's much of a disincentive for me at this point.

Not rational? That describes half of the people in this thread who are clearly emotional regarding purported range loss. I love how you label anybody with posts contrary to the conspiracy theory crowd as a Tesla apologist. I haven't seen anybody apologizing for Tesla's lack of communications or treatment of customers. There are plenty of posts from these "apologists" disputing theories such as: NO Li-Ion device maker limits Vmax of cells to mitigate battery stress, Tesla is has a conspiracy going on, or Tesla is stealing from people. These are all ripe for discussion and debate. What I have seen are people slammed by a number of posters for attempting to shed some light on the a situation that is not black and white, but highly technical and nuanced. Some us who do engineering for a living like to think critically and logically while examining the facts that frankly are few and far between here.

Here's an update to my original post on page 159. To my surprise I charged to 254 today. SA had said the update would come maybe Wednesday or later. I had been put on a list that went to California and would get an unnoticed update. I was 2019.24.4 before and after range change. Looks like they cut out about 9 Kwh. Seems like I'm back to a realistic range of about 233 or so. Here are before and after pics you can mull over. This has been a long three months.
IMG_20190728_072451547_HDR.jpg IMG_20190728_165423916.jpg IMG_20190811_135511285.jpg IMG_20190811_203710776.jpg

Here's an update to my original post on page 159. To my surprise I charged to 254 today. SA had said the update would come maybe Wednesday or later. I had been put on a list that went to California and would get an unnoticed update. I was 2019.24.4 before and after range change. Looks like they cut out about 9 Kwh. Seems like I'm back to a realistic range of about 233 or so. Here are before and after pics you can mull over. This has been a long three months.
View attachment 440775 View attachment 440776 View attachment 440777 View attachment 440778

Which update is that?

A very small percentage of owners of older Model S and Model X vehicles may have noticed a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge following a software update designed to improve battery longevity.

Let me try my hand at truth-squadding this one.
Isn’t it factual that range (capacity) is effected when charged to any state of charge?

It would be a smaller absolute reduction in range if the affected small percentage would charge to a lower SOC. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
Let me try my hand at truth-squadding this one.
Isn’t it factual that range (capacity) is effected when charged to any state of charge?

It would be a smaller absolute reduction in range if the affected small percentage would charge to a lower SOC. ;)

Yes, I charged today to 5% SoC. I did not notice any range loss or sudden degradation of my battery. So, this whole thing is a hoax ;)

He just said it would remove a lock on the last 10% of the battery. Did give it a name, just said I was being put on a list.
That is curious. So you went to the SC with the range issue and your vehicle was forwarded too engineering. Sometime later an update was sent to your car that unlocked the capacity. I wonder if they are doing some special diagnostics on batteries that are flagged by the BMS before unlocking the recently locked capacity. Perhaps they have some way to confirm you don't have wk057's bad condition (Z or X I can't remember) before the unlock.

Here's an update to my original post on page 159. To my surprise I charged to 254 today. SA had said the update would come maybe Wednesday or later. I had been put on a list that went to California and would get an unnoticed update. I was 2019.24.4 before and after range change. Looks like they cut out about 9 Kwh. Seems like I'm back to a realistic range of about 233 or so.
There are now two reports from owners who had failed their battery replaced and received their replacement with range clipped that was later restored.