Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the cars are not the only thing catching fire at Tesla posting this to send the resounding message about build quality and their tight lips. Looks like Walmart had multiple fires across the country due to the build quality and installation of solar.

Walmart sues Tesla over fires linked to rooftop solar systems

It may as well be a damn fruitcake. :) That's about how much I care about 10 miles I want it all baby 30 or nothing.
Well, apparently there two sides to the Walmart issue.

What's The Real Reason Walmart Is Suing Tesla? | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and Droschke
At one time, Tesla's "including potential savings" cost figure for Model S in 2012/2013 included saving of $40/hr spent at a gas station. I would say you are justified! lol

Audi was very smart to do this in the e-Tron. Audi customers should see more stable range figures over time, unlike Teslas which apparently lose multiple miles (or tens of miles) within weeks to months of purchase. Tesla wasn't thinking about customer perception when they designed the system. In a couple of years Audi will be lauded as having superior battery tech, just wait for it, when in reality they are simply capping off range from the get-go.

Can Tesla really do that? Can they mark your internal file with a flag that would enable them to provide you with a lower level of service than someone else?

The piece you quoted applies to bricking of the battery, nothing else. It does not apply to this thread.

Sounds like bribery to me. Can you imagine the cross in court? lol
It was suggested as legal defense fund, so no that wouldn't be bribery, unless you are talking about to lawyers to go searching out a whistleblower client.
At one time, Tesla's "including potential savings" cost figure for Model S in 2012/2013 included saving of $40/hr spent at a gas station. I would say you are justified! lol

Audi was very smart to do this in the e-Tron. Audi customers should see more stable range figures over time, unlike Teslas which apparently lose multiple miles (or tens of miles) within weeks to months of purchase. Tesla wasn't thinking about customer perception when they designed the system. In a couple of years Audi will be lauded as having superior battery tech, just wait for it, when in reality they are simply capping off range from the get-go.

Can Tesla really do that? Can they mark your internal file with a flag that would enable them to provide you with a lower level of service than someone else?

The piece you quoted applies to bricking of the battery, nothing else. It does not apply to this thread.

Sounds like bribery to me. Can you imagine the cross in court? lol

That’s a very timely clarification. I had always read that as a simple, unqualified, statement, (particularly as they have 100% control over this area; how it is built, how BMS reacts, what tapering or safety protocols are used during all different types of charging). “If something goes wrong it is therefore our fault, not yours”. But I can see that that statement is at the end of a paragraph talking about the buffer. But I would have thought a lawyer might enjoy testing it though. Where is Perry Mason when you need him.

Can you share more details of your vehicle manufacturing date and model?
Hello Dave,
Sorry for my late reply.
The car is a model S 85 kWh, and I have it since november 2013, and drove about 200.000 km.
Checked last week the maximum voltage of a “full charged” battery and it has dropped from 403V to 395V since the scandaleus software “update”.
It looks that mr. Tesla has changed the BM-System of my car from 4,2V to about 4.1V per cell(unit).
Therefore changing, whitout my permission !!, my 85 kWh battery to about the size of a 75 kWh battery.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
I wonder how many other owners are out their who still have not noticed an issue but have battery gate and charge gate?

I am still waiting on corporate to approve a fix for my battery the local service center has recommended a fix as well we will see. Maybe this is part of the so called escalation process and since I just got my car in May I am hopeful of some resolution which ideally would be a replacement battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and DJRas
I picked up the X 6/27/19 and rated miles has been dropping every time I charge to 90 or 100%. I'm at 292 Miles at 100% 3 days ago. Tesla has my car in service and running a battery test as of today. Will update here once they provide the report.
New cars experience a rapid drop then level out. This thread is about very old cars losing range overnight that they never expected to lose at that age.

Also, Teslas aren't supposed to be charged to 100% often, and only when immediately used on a long trip.

New cars experience a rapid drop then level out. This thread is about very old cars losing range overnight that they never expected to lose at that age.

Also, Teslas aren't supposed to be charged to 100% often, and only when immediately used on a long trip.

Not always. My P85D's 253 rated when new still read 250 after 40K miles. My largest drop from 247 to 241 occurred from 50 to 70K miles and then leveled out and hasn't dropped in the last 30K miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
It depends how often I take my car on long trips which is once or twice a month. That’s why I’ve noticed a pattern of range. Seems like new cars and old cars are experiencing similar drop in range with recent software updates.

Reactions: Guy V
Further update. I’ve charged the car 2 more times and got no mileage increase when charging. My 89% charge rate appears to be “stuck” at 207 miles range and 69kWh battery capacity.
As a reminder, I previously had 227 miles range and 74kWh battery capacity before the infamous software update. I have “gotten back” a total of 7 miles of range and 3kWh of battery capacity after installing 2019.28.2.5, but am still missing 20 miles of range at 89% charge level (even more at a 100% charge level).
Tesla declined to do a battery test this past Thursday, saying they wanted to wait to see how much range I recover with the software update. I have an appointment this coming Thursday for a squeak on the Model 3 and will tell them I want the battery issue on the Model S escalated and it’s health tested if I get no more range increase between now and then.
As much as I like Tesla and their cars (plus I’m a stockholder), this intentional reduction of the car’s battery capacity (by software locking, limiting voltage, whatever) by Tesla is ridiculous. I paid for a 85kWh battery, not a 70kWh battery.

Tesla declined to do a battery test this past Thursday, saying they wanted to wait to see how much range I recover with the software update.

Do I recall right from this thread that the first update took the added ”degradation” above 10% and the second update took it a bit under 10%.

Wasn’t 10% some kind of relevant number from a warranty perspective? That could explain them wanting to test only after the update?

Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
Do I recall right from this thread that the first update took the added ”degradation” above 10% and the second update took it a bit under 10%.

Wasn’t 10% some kind of relevant number from a warranty perspective? That could explain them wanting to test only after the update?

I don’t think a 10% degradation has any warranty implications. The Model S battery has no degradation warranty, unlike the Model 3.

To @Droschke and @swegman who disagreed here is the statement from a Tesla service center earlier in this thread suggesting a 10% window related to warranty battery replacements. The 10% seems to be after age/mileage considerations but my point stands, could Tesla be wanting to delay battery checks after the new firmware update to avoid having this internal guidance exceeded? Did the initial update take some cars under 90% of range for cars of that age? (There are plenty of suggestions of that earlier in this thread but Tesla denied the relevancy of third-party data.)
I just finished having my battery tested at Oceanside Service Center.
As expected they said that my battery does not fit the criteria for replacement.
The test is HV Battery Capacity (looking at Charge Amperage Capacity?).
My battery is version 41 (41 is the number they used... but they didn't call it version).
Original rated range for this pack was 264 miles at 295Wh/mi (77.88 kWh usable capacity).
A battery with my age/mileage should have a capacity of 231 miles (Fleet-wide average).
IF my battery is <90% of that window they can replace my battery under warranty.