Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to add a charge of 237 miles to total charge of 242 miles when I finally quit but was not fully charged. The supercharge rate had dropped to 2Kw and I was not going to wait another hour for 9 remaining miles on my capped 251 mile battery that previously charged to 254 miles before #batterygate. I am currently on verson 2019.28.3.1 . This session started at 114 Kw. #chargegate is big issue as well for taking trips. And those that tow, magnified addition of supercharging time on trips because of more stops to charge...

Last edited:
It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to add a charge of 237 miles to total charge of 242 miles when I finally quit but was not fully charged. The supercharge rate had dropped to 2Kw and I was not going to wait another hour for 9 remaining miles on my capped 251 mile battery that previously charged to 254 miles before #batterygate. I am currently on verson 2019.28.3.1 . This session started at 114 Kw. #chargegate is big issue as well for taking trips. And those that tow, magnified addition of supercharging time on trips because of more stops to charge...

And don't forget the higher winter consumption.

Reactions: Evoforce
... However some networks are introducing higher powered CCS chargepoints, up to and beyond 100kW. ...

Thank you for your informative post.
Charging networks are divided over
1. AC 11-22kW type2 socket in streets
and
bigger stations with combinations of
2. AC 43kW type2 plug and cable,
3. DC 50kW CHAdeMO plug and cable (adaptor needed) and
4. DC 50kW-350kW CCS plug and cable (S & X adaptor and upgrade needed)
The latter is expanding with mainly 175-350kW

1 & 4 are expanding

The supercharge rate had dropped to 2Kw and I was not going to wait another hour for 9 remaining miles <snip> #chargegate is big issue as well for taking trips. .

You aren't going to convince me that charging to 100% on trips is a thing.

In 6+ years of EV ownership, and hundreds of supercharger sessions on our 2013 S85, I can think of perhaps 1 or 2 times we needed more than 90% charge at a supercharger to reach and use the car at a destination. The majority of the time, we left when the car had 20% buffer to next stop, or sufficient additional range if the final stop didn't have charging.

In 6+ years of EV ownership, and hundreds of supercharger sessions on our 2013 S85, I can think of perhaps 1 or 2 times we needed more than 90% charge at a supercharger to reach and use the car at a destination. The majority of the time, we left when the car had 20% buffer to next stop, or sufficient additional range if the final stop didn't have charging.

I have taken a lot of trips with my 2014S85 and always charged to 100% specially with weather change, wind and vampire drain I wouldn't have risked it. Longest trio Was round trip Vegas/Chicago.

I just charged to 100% and showing 236. Looks like max cell is down to 4.138.

battery remaining.jpg

I have taken a lot of trips with my 2014S85 and always charged to 100% specially with weather change, wind and vampire drain I wouldn't have risked it. Longest trio Was round trip Vegas/Chicago.

Ok.

The supercharger network has fundamentally changed for the better such that we leave home with 100% and routinely surf the network to stay within the best charging rates in the 70-20% range which is two hours of high speed driving. Some prefer to drive for 3 or more hours at a stetch and then they choose to charge to 90% or above. But it’s mostly choice and no longer necessity.

You must not travel very much!
There are several places here in California that are barely doable at less than 100% charge.
Such as Anza Borego State Park which is 72 miles from the nearest SuC in Temecula through mountainous passes and cold weather in the winter. I did this once when I had 247 miles range and returned to Temecula with lass than 20 miles remaining. I could not do it today with my 226 mile range and 8 miles per day vampire drain.

Charged the car again and this time the range increased 1 mile to a total range of 208 miles at 89% charge. Indicated battery capacity is still 69kWh.

Just charged again and the 89% charge was 207 miles. So three charge sessions gave me 207 miles at 89% charge and one charge session gave me 208 miles of range.

As noted above, I have an appointment to address a squeak on the Model 3. I’m going to insist that they escalate my battery concern on my Model S and perform a full CAC battery test.

Ok.

The supercharger network has fundamentally changed for the better such that we leave home with 100% and routinely surf the network to stay within the best charging rates in the 70-20% range which is two hours of high speed driving. Some prefer to drive for 3 or more hours at a stetch and then they choose to charge to 90% or above. But it’s mostly choice and no longer necessity.
There ARE areas during my road trips that I will not make unless I charge to 95% (according to the car), and MUST use the other 5% as a buffer in case of wind or temperature. There are not always other options available.
Of course, now that they took 16% of my capacity away, I cannot make those.

I guess I live in the goldilocks location. They do say Toronto is the center of the universe. :)

As I outlined. It’s extremely rare in 50000 km of supercharged driving in north east US and Canada to need more than 80% supercharge in my experience.

Also we have an original A pack which limits maximum charge rate to 90 kW. All the complaining here about limited charge rates and that’s all I’ve ever known. I guess it depends.

Like I said earlier. Not going to convince me that 100% supercharging is a thing. You’ve brought select examples and I’ve brought counter examples of the opposite.

Looks like it depends.

When you are only getting 85-110 miles when towing. You need to get 100%. If you are taking trips in cold temperatures or are going into an area of no charging infrastructure, you may need a full charge.

I am at this time in an area of no charging available. But there is a charger at 50 miles out of the way. I have no destination charging where I am currently. My last session that I commented on was also a test of what the new reality is being faced by those who are trying to use our cars as ICE vehicle replacements.

No matter if it has only been a couple of times for you so far, because you will still have almost double charge time getting to 90ish percent. You will be waiting longer if you have an affected vehicle and a lot longer on long trips.

Thank you for your informative post.
Charging networks are divided over
1. AC 11-22kW type2 socket in streets
and
bigger stations with combinations of
2. AC 43kW type2 plug and cable,
3. DC 50kW CHAdeMO plug and cable (adaptor needed) and
4. DC 50kW-350kW CCS plug and cable (S & X adaptor and upgrade needed)
The latter is expanding with mainly 175-350kW

1 & 4 are expanding
Indeed. But it does make you wonder. Tesla are capping charge rates, for whatever reason, and new systems offering 100, 200 and 300+kW rates. Whilst these will save time, are we just building up battery problems for the future?

I guess I live in the goldilocks location. They do say Toronto is the center of the universe. :)

As I outlined. It’s extremely rare in 50000 km of supercharged driving in north east US and Canada to need more than 80% supercharge in my experience.

Also we have an original A pack which limits maximum charge rate to 90 kW. All the complaining here about limited charge rates and that’s all I’ve ever known. I guess it depends.

Like I said earlier. Not going to convince me that 100% supercharging is a thing. You’ve brought select examples and I’ve brought counter examples of the opposite.

Looks like it depends.
Try charging at a max of 60kw when it used to be 120+ (with the new 150kw chargers)! Many of us are limited to that (60kw or less) after the first minute :(

Isn't it curious that Tesla doesn't mention vampire drain when you buy the car? They tout all of these cost savings versus an ICE vehicle, yet they conveniently ignore the cost of vampire drain. Here in Arizona I can lose 10 miles or more per day. Where is that in Tesla's cost of ownership calculator?
Vampire Gate?

Seriously my vampire drain is 1000wkh per year (10 miles/day) and that's one month of Solar production for my roof.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Guy V