Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some speculating, but rather than something nepharious going on, it seems just as likely a precautionary measure. An analogy might be discovering you have a roof leak but you are unable to find the specific leak point so you tarp that roof panel temporarily to prevent damage while you investigate the specific location. Once you find the small hole, you patch it and then take the tarp off. We don't know: Tesla may remove (or reduce) the capping after, by their words, finding the "root cause". While I like putting facts together to figure out what they are doing, I personally draw the line at speculating at their end game or their intentions.

Mike

Tesla won't remove the caps or repair the leaks without a lawsuit. Company history proves this again and again, if given the choice of doing the right thing or losing a lawsuit they choose hostility against owners every single time.

It sounds like what we've discovered is they're trying to kill as few people as possible because that would be bad publicity, but stealing from us is OK because the media doesn't give as much publicity to us. They also don't want to do the right thing because issueing a recall is once again bad publicity, so they've already come to a final decision and I don't think anything is going to change that outside of a courtroom or front page news of a blacklisted car resulting in a fatality.

This is a 6 month old problem. We've waited long enough.

Do you mind sharing or describing your charging curve at SC from low SOC to "full"...I find hard to believe your charge times are not affected. Or is your "MS70" a software locked 85?
Sorry to bug you!

From what he keeps saying it sounds like the reason he doesn't suffer from Chargegate is that he hasn't installed the firmware version that implements it.

I've done some speculating, but rather than something nepharious going on, it seems just as likely a precautionary measure. An analogy might be discovering you have a roof leak but you are unable to find the specific leak point so you tarp that roof panel temporarily to prevent damage while you investigate the specific location. Once you find the small hole, you patch it and then take the tarp off. We don't know: Tesla may remove (or reduce) the capping after, by their words, finding the "root cause". While I like putting facts together to figure out what they are doing, I personally draw the line at speculating at their end game or their intentions.

Mike
I think the analogy is more like: You have a leak in your chimney. You come home and find a home warranty person has sealed off one room - removed the door completely and made it look like it was never there. Attempting to use the old bedroom might result in fatal carbon monoxide poising. You now own a 2 bedroom house instead of a 3-bedroom house, even though you paid for a 3 bedroom house and actually need it for your family. You're told this is just part of the maintenance plan.

I think the analogy is more like: You have a leak in your chimney. You come home and find a home warranty person has sealed off one room - removed the door completely and made it look like it was never there. Attempting to use the old bedroom might result in fatal carbon monoxide poising. You now own a 2 bedroom house instead of a 3-bedroom house, even though you paid for a 3 bedroom house and actually need it for your family. You're told this is just part of the maintenance plan.

Right on. But you probably did not hear the Tesla apologists saying the home warranty person has that BMS thingy to "protect and prolong" the life of your what used to be a 3 bedroom house ;)

This is really disheartening. I noticed the cap and the slower sc charging on my last trip. I feel like i gave the 2k to go from a 60d to 75d for nothing .
I almost paid for the upgrade but they said I couldn’t unlock my battery unless I had the latest firmware. Now the unlock for $2000 option doesn’t even show up on my account.

Do you have the same range you had before you paid for the upgrade? They should give you your money back if this is going to be permanent.

When I spoke to the technician after he tested my battery he reported that they have the data from EVERY battery in the fleet. This is how they have a fleet-wide average of every battery.

Since they can cap the range with a software update, they can bring the fleet wide average down to whatever they want:p

Do you mind sharing or describing your charging curve at SC from low SOC to "full"...I find hard to believe your charge times are not affected. Or is your "MS70" a software locked 85?
Sorry to bug you!
Of course.
Firstly my 70 is a true March 16 70, not a capped 85. Importantly this means that it is a 350V battery so will naturally charge at a slower rate than 400V batteries.
All % relate to my new capped 59kWh battery, not my old 70 kWh battery.
Up to 40%, it charges 10% every 4 minutes.
10%-20% takes 4 minutes
20%-30% takes 4 minutes
30%-40% takes 4 minutes
40%-50% takes 5 minutes
50%-60% takes 5 minutes.
60%-70% takes 6 minutes
70%-80% takes 7 minutes
80%-90% takes 10 minutes
90%-95% takes 10 minutes
95%-100% takes 20 minutes

I’m sorry you find it all hard to believe. I assume your battery is charge speed capped as well. That must be horrible.

I believe the root of that allegation and speculation is @wk057 ’s message that he would have to defend himself potentially should Tesla decide to pursue the issue and that he has been advised to stay out. The details are unknown of course as is the interpretation’s accuracy but defending does not sound like an action taken at an end of a professional (or any) relationship unless there is a threat of a lawsuit.
I’m absolutely sure we are allowed to have different interpretations of what he meant.

i posted that they are replacing my battery but its only due to the fact i bought in May of this year. If anyone else bought this year used from Tesla they should complain to the local sc and ask for a replacement battery if they are affected by battery or charge gate.

It’s great that you’re getting a replacement battery, and I’m genuinely pleased for you, but why you and nobody else? Do you have some sort of extra warranty/protection because you only bought the car a few months ago?

It’s great that you’re getting a replacement battery, and I’m genuinely pleased for you, but why you and nobody else? Do you have some sort of extra warranty/protection because you only bought the car a few months ago?
Honestly i think it was because i recently bought my car in May and notified them of the issue while my car was in for service. The other fact i think that helped was i complained to the local state attorney here in MN. I also demanded a battery replacement through the local service center and worked with the service manager.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and DJP31
Yes we are hoping you take the plunge and upgrade! Would it be funny if your are becomes an exhibit used in the lawsuit where you offer to upgrade and prove the Sudden Loss of Range BUT your car does not exhibit it!
Tesla removed the upgrade options from peoples accounts and is advertising clearly badged 75kwh vehicles as 60 range now. It sounds like "a small number of cars" is a huge and still growing number of cars.

I wish I'd only paid $2k to rent the capacity they took. 85 owners paid $10.7k, but I guess the hidden end date of the rental was longer term so maybe we should do what a few of the most zealous defenders suggest and praise tesla for not taking everything.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke

Mike
Ah! But you are speculating just like the rest of us. Tesla needs to directly contact us with what's up! I don't want to hear conflicting things from the media. Tesla needs to contact affected owners immediately and explain what they are doing and what they will do to help.