Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has had a serious credibility problem since they first produced the 85kWh batteries. I mistakenly thought that I was receiving a battery rated to hold 85kWh when fully charged. I wanted the additional range, and the free Supercharging benefit was icing on the cake. Several months later, Jason tore apart an 85kWh battery. He discovered that the true capacity was only 81kWh, while the effective availability was reduced to 77kWh. I do not think anyone would complain if their battery were, indeed, 85kWh, but for safety and technical reasons only 81kWh was usable. Instead, Tesla continued to market their longer-range Model S as 85kWh. I understand that marketing hype: 85 sounds a lot better than 81. But when does hype become inflated to the point of an intentional material misstatement?

This is no different from a dairy putting 61 fluid ounces of milk into a container and stating the contents as one-half gallon.

Other credibility issues over the years include the overhyped expansion of Supercharger installations and Service Centers. "Soon" became this forum's mocking reply to new members when those members would inquire about when these installations would open. That was Musk's and Tesla's standard response--"opening soon." "Soon" frequently lasted three or more years. A glance at the most recent aspirational Supercharger map on Tesla's website still claims that hundreds of locations have a target date of "2019." On more than one occasion we have given Tesla a pass on these openings--they are complicated and expensive. But to sustain this ruse over six years gets tiresome. We now just shrug our shoulders and hope they happen. Tesla could have been forthcoming; instead they preyed upon our unbridled optimism.

Promises to improve "beta" software remain unfulfilled. We still cannot navigate with waypoints, and there are other incomplete software programs used by us owners. Then there are the updates with "minor bug fixes and improvements." How does one parse that phrase? Does the adjective minor modify both bug fixes AND improvements (I would have written minor bug fixes and minor improvements to remove all ambiguity) or does minor only modify bug fixes, and the software did have improvements made? (I would have written minor bug fixes on one line, followed by improvements beneath it on a second line.)

More recently the lack of communication from Tesla is front and center. Once they have your money, you cannot talk to a person for any reason. Service appointments are via a phone app. Issues with new cars are ignored. No one seems to be home at Tesla.

The more I see Tesla circling the wagons, the more I sense that their lawyers are advising them to take this matter to trial. I would suspect that many of the complaints have not been litigated, and this is a chance for lawyers to make names for themselves while blazing new ground all the way up through the appellate system to establish case law for this nascent industry.

The 60D -> 75D change doesn't have a reconfiguration to the charge battery graphic though. You know you're charging a capped 60D to less than 100% - it doesn't show the fraudulent 100% that capped 85 batteries are showing. But you're right they could easily hide that code, there is no open source auditing to validate everything is legitimate - and that's why we're here.

Yes, I didn't have time to be clear about what is was saying. I seldom charge to 100% of my 60kw, but a couple months ago my 100% was 205, and not long before that it was 209 after 3 years, now 198. Is this real degradation or a new imposed limit? Do I still charge to the same voltage that I used to charge to for 60kw. IDK. Never had a can bus reader. Mine is of course miner compared to the big caps imposed on many of the rest of you. My GUESS is, Elon being the eternal optimist, over sold these batteries abilities, and now they are attempting to minimize the damage by limiting charging to below the highest voltages, and the speed with which they can charge. They also may have run diagnostics on all batteries and imposed and a higher and faster limit on the most vulnerable batteries, and are now slowly bringing the rest of us down to lower levels of charge and speed of charging. To me this is what the existing evidence in this thread points to.

Again, what exactly precisely is the specific harm YOU are suffering right now from the update? Funny to see reluctance to simply and clearly answer the simple question.
Bhz, at the risk of speaking for others, I think the question ha been answered in depth in this thread, and sensing a round of incoming sea lioning there's a hesitancy to engage in it.

Again, what exactly precisely is the specific harm YOU are suffering right now from the update? Funny to see reluctance to simply and clearly answer the simple question.

I have no reluctance, if you are unfamiliar with the loss of functionality from v8 to v9 feel free to read the countless number of posts about it. The list is very long, but since you seem unfamiliar with any of it, I will give you just a few examples. I want my large icons stationary at the top, not small icons on the bottom after a button push, I dont want nav running all the time and taking up screen space, I want to drag any icon anywhere I want it on the screen, without taking my eyes off the road like I did on V8, . You can read much more about the issues on the many posts about loss of functionality from V8 to V9.

I'm glad to see that you like questions answered and "exactly precisely". So I take you waaaay back to page 168, 150 pages ago, where I asked you this question.

One thing I have been wondering though, and since you are the self appointed truthsquad, what does this statement mean?

"And I'm in a position to rather easily escalate in other ways, but have never found the need"

You marked it as funny, but never answered and then disappeared for a long time. I'm sure you want to explain "exactly precisely", so here is another opportunity.

Again what about the black listed and salvage cars that don't get updated? Are they going to make an exception and update those cars?
They pushed 2019.8.3 to my unsupported / salvage titled car (from 2018.50.6), which seemed odd as the car had not been pushed any prior updates from Tesla since marked as salvage. I accepted the update, but that one also included the bug that broke max battery power / launch mode. 2019.16.2 fixed that bug, but then this whole mess started with 2019.16.1.1, so instead of rolling the dice on the range loss game, I rolled it back to 2019.4.2 to correct that issue and blocked Tesla's firmware update domain.

Last edited:
They pushed 2019.8.3 to my unsupported / salvage titled car (from 2018.50.6), which seemed odd as the car had not been pushed any prior updates from Tesla since marked as salvage. I accepted the update, but that one also included the bug that broke max battery power / launch mode. 2019.16.2 fixed that bug, but then this whole mess started with 2019.16.1.1, so instead of rolling the dice on the range loss game, I rolled it back to 2019.4.2 to correct that issue and blocked Tesla's firmware update domain.
How did you do that?

Dendrites were discussed here previously. This article helped me better understand what they are and how they are formed. As many here have speculated, this could be the root of the problem Tesla is not talking about.
Scientists pinpoint cause of harmful dendrites and whiskers in lithium batteries
It is certainly worth reading up about Dendrites.

But if Dendrites are Condition X, and when Tesla went looking for them they didn’t really find much evidence, that could be because of Supercharging having a possible good effect on Dendrite growth.
Fire-starting battery dendrites go with the flow

Arrived at a Supercharger today with 6 stalls out of 8 available, pairing with no one.

Started to charge @40% SoC, the display said 30 minutes to 90% (my old 80%).

Charge rate started at a hefty 50 KW to quickly tapering off.

It took 55 mighty minutes to charge from 40% to 90%.

(Ambient temperature 70F)
The estimations are so far off now. Battery temperature needs to be close to 100F to get close to the estimate and decent rate

How do you achieve that? Plus, Tesla does not display the battery temperature.
drive really hard :rolleyes:.
I've done quick loops around the block at a SC and see probably 10 Kw more with a handful of degrees.
70F is too cold for a fast charge but it wasn't like that in the past.
You can set your SC destination in Nav to at least get the battery heater to turn on if you are under some unknown SOC.
battery temp from ODB logger. would be super nice for Tesla to provide this - it really does give the user much better information about expected charge time which the current Tesla software does not seem capable of doing anymore!