Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 12.07.58 PM.png

Here is what I got when I took my car in to get a few things handled (the concern was around range charging, not range mode, which is how they entered it). None of the boilerplate answered my actual question as to why it doesn't charge to 100% but I guess this is the closest they had. After 130K miles, I particularly appreciated the driving tips. :)

View attachment 474595

Here is what I got when I took my car in to get a few things handled (the concern was around range charging, not range mode, which is how they entered it). None of the boilerplate answered my actual question as to why it doesn't charge to 100% but I guess this is the closest they had. After 130K miles, I particularly appreciated the driving tips. :)

Have you done a voltage test from canbus?

Just returned from my svc appt. The guy that checked me in said that they had already "remotely" tested my battery and that it was within spec and everything was ok. I asked to see some printed tangible proof of that and was denied. I then asked him why on 2 long road trips my car would charge at least 90-100 Kw for anything under 40% and then would taper WAY later on. Now it dives for 70ish Kw after the first few seconds of supercharging. He said that its normal and this will prolong the battery life.

I asked him to have the local sales people come up with an offer for my car on a trade in since it is no longer usable for road trips. He said he'd get them to work on that.

They did the work I had scheduled and when I got back a woman at the desk was there to get me the car back. She went over the battery/charging info nearly verbatim from the check-in guy. So Tesla has spent some time training probably ALL their client facing employees to know the "stock answers" for this "very small percentage of owners".

This thing stinks and my experience today seems to point to a much wider audience.

I did the same thing. Asked for the explanation in writing. Got nothing.

Asked to trade up to an unaffected car I could actually use for road trips. Service manager said depreciation should be 10-15% tops since I only owned the car for one year. Sales department offered me half of what I paid for my Model S.

Im so done with Tesla once this is sorted out.

I asked to see some printed tangible proof of that and was denied.

This shady practice needs to stop. The car and its battery belong to you. What are they hiding? Oh wait, I know.

Is there any other car manufacturer who refuses to provide its customers the printout of a test they claim showing "normal" results?

Last edited:
Agreed.

About 80% of my charging is using the Supercharging network and I experienced no more than 5% degradation (267 -> 255 miles @100%) in 3 years and 36k Miles prior to the voltage cap.

I’m not saying that Supercharging didn’t damage cells, but if it did it wasn’t apparent to me as an owner.

I usually charged in the 20-80% SOC range.
The more examples like this I see, the more I think Supercharging, particularly at the very high kW at mid to low SOC does cause damage. Not to every battery but certainly to batteries that have weak or inferior cells.. This would seem to explain not only why, but also why only some.

View attachment 474595

This is utter stupidity who the hell is gonna freeze driving a Tesla really? F that I live in MN their is no way this solution works I have tried it. Plus in the cold the windows fog up dah it’s cold in some states. I have driven once with 5 miles to spare in 20 below this is not a solution not even a bandaid.

This has drug out too long,

I love my Model S, but I’m so done with Tesla as a company; the deception, dishonesty, lack of transparency, chaos and unwillingness to honour commitments which were key to our decision to buy their products in the first place.

Maybe they’ll soon realise that not looking after existing customers actually affects new sales when the word gets out about how they operate in after sales mode.

And just to balance this, I do generally find I get good and helpful service from my local SC when they have the autonomy to make decisions about what is fair and reasonable.

Maybe this is why the relationship between Tesla and Panasonic is going south.
Batteries are not holding up as Tesla was hoping for or maybe Tesla shortened the minimum ripening/selection time the freshly manufactured batteries need (remember the gigantic ripening hall @The Gigafactory investors documentary- there must be a much bigger equivalent in Japan for the 18650) to such a degree that “medium” units got thrown in the mix thus to the customer and Panasonic now finds itself in a Mobile Eye situation. Three weeks ripening for a single cell- that’s torture in Elon’s understanding when there’s an alternative process called high temperature ripening. This is the absolute critical process, the quality assurance for a cells endurance in the long run and this could be the needle in the haystack.
Remember there’s this constant banter about Elon not being satisfied with Panasonic‘s speed. This could be the culprit.
Panel gap syndrome backflashing on a much deadlier ground.

There’s an underlying critical issue, otherwise Tesla would’ve come clean in the last SEVEN (!) Months.

Last edited:
Maybe this is why the relationship between Tesla and Panasonic is going south.
Batteries are not holding up as Tesla was hoping for or maybe Tesla shortened the minimum ripening/selection time the freshly manufactured batteries need (remember the gigantic ripening hall @The Gigafactory investors documentary- there must be a much bigger equivalent in Japan for the 18650) to such a degree that “medium” units got thrown in the mix thus to the customer and Panasonic now finds itself in a Mobile Eye situation. Three weeks ripening for a single cell- that’s torture in Elon’s understanding when there’s an alternative process called high temperature ripening. This is the absolute critical process, the quality assurance for a cells endurance in the long run and this could be the needle in the haystack.
Remember there’s this constant banter about Elon not being satisfied with Panasonic‘s speed. This could be the culprit.
Panel gap syndrome backflashing on a much deadlier ground.

There’s an underlying critical issue, otherwise Tesla would’ve come clean in the last SEVEN (!) Months.
I wasn’t aware of any of that. That is SO interesting and for me, gives a very plausible explanation for what has been happening.