Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
which update adds the NAV-PREHEAT on a Model S? Our Model 3 always says Preconditioning Battery when there is a SuC on the NAV route. I have not seen any notification on our Model S which is at 2019.32.12.7. It almost feels like the battery heater in our Model S doesn't work or not at least not properly

I tested the following scenario out recently.

1. Navigate to supercharger (chosen directly via icon with supercharger location and number of available stalls) and highway driving at steady reasonable speed. Plugged in with 50% SOC, got 28 kW charge rate.

2. My normal full accelerate / full regen and repeat for a few minutes leading up to the supercharger location, no navigation set. Plugged in at 30% SOC and got 80 kW, was ~ 55 kW at 50% SOC.

This result, while not exact or scientific leads me to continue my manual battery warming method as I don't believe the navigate to supercharger is effective on my "classic" 2013 Tesla S85 at least.

Try the method to preheat the battery with full accel / full decell and repeat and let us know.
It has always worked for me to get reasonable rates.
My wife who "drives the car" gets high supercharging rates far less often than I do.
My battery is always over 99F when I start charging.
Battery temp doesn't make a difference for me

My battery is always over 99F when I start charging.
Battery temp doesn't make a difference for me

DJRas,

I have seen a few random posts where people say Service Centers have said they are working on a "fix" for these type of issues and it should be in a firmware update in the next 5 or 6 weeks type of thing. Have you seen any of those? Given you are involved in the Class Action have you received any messages to that affect yourself?

DJRas,

I have seen a few random posts where people say Service Centers have said they are working on a "fix" for these type of issues and it should be in a firmware update in the next 5 or 6 weeks type of thing. Have you seen any of those? Given you are involved in the Class Action have you received any messages to that affect yourself?
No, I have heard nothing about new updates to address these issues since August.

DJRas,

They told me this back in July. No solution. Their next contact called it normal degradation and said everything is normal.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Here is my recent charge cycle where I hit 120+kW.
The battery was very warm to start (101F).
The blue trace is the active battery cooling - so cooling did not start until the pack hit 115F.
upload_2019-11-20_14-42-4.png

My 85D suffers from chargegate but I still saw 126kwh briefly the other day as reported here, Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

It could be that there are different levels of chargegate being applied depending on the batteryt itself alonside battery temp, battery SOC and power availability from the SC post you’re connected to.
In my experience, it does seem to depend on the supercharger that I visit. It's not just whether I'm paired with another charging car, the superchargers themselves seem to vary. This one was one where I never have got >50kW/hr since chargegate.

Here is my recent charge cycle where I hit 120+kW.
The battery was very warm to start (101F).
The blue trace is the active battery cooling - so cooling did not start until the pack hit 115F.
View attachment 479242

At this point I would love to even see that. My last charging cycle on a SuC was 20kW

Does anyone actually see a message about preconditioning the battery like the Model 3 gets? As sad as it is I would actually be happy if I was at least getting what DJRas is getting. Obviously not long term, but right now I get like 20-30kW the whole charge. Painful. I have been texting with Tesla Tech Support as I put in a support request. I am still waiting for their report and it has been over a week. They say they have lots of remote diagnostic back log and will let me know. I will let everyone know if I get any kind of answer other than everything is fine.

Reactions: boywonder
Yes, since I was INFECTED in June with BatteryGate and ChargeGate.
And yes it DOES limit power. I was accelerating onto the freeway and found out the hard way in traffic.
Yeah, passing on the highway is way less than desirable with the limit and very noticeable. That's how I found out. It felt like I got downgraded to my old Camry hybrid's ability.

So help me understand my data....

using the instructions on page one using trip data and state of charge, I calculated battery capacity of my 2014 AP S85 with 41k miles to be 74.8 kwh. Does that mean I am not capped? What should it be?

And yet I can no longer supercharge over about 70 kw, much less than I used to be able to. So I am not a batterygate victim but I am a chargegate victim?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu Zap