Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to look at it from a scientific perspective. Tesla is an amazing technology company, but there is no authority that can dictate the scientific basis for understanding this. Also, I don't think that you believe that your battery is just fine. (maybe I am wrong about that). So I am wondering, and trying to learn about, why some batteries have developed this issue.
Early 18650 cells have a different chemical make up than later cells.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and bhzmark
I am trying to look at it from a scientific perspective. Tesla is an amazing technology company, but there is no authority that can dictate the scientific basis for understanding this.

That authority would be Tesla, but they are not communicating with us. Just to let you know, my last question to them has been unanswered.

... Also, I don't think that you believe that your battery is just fine. (maybe I am wrong about that).

I do not know if there is anything wrong with my battery. I never thought there was an issue with it. Only Tesla knows. Tesla is telling me "have reviewed your cars data to ensure there are no other issues that are occurring with your battery or the charging system and everything is working as it should". But at the same time they cut 30 miles of range (so far) by one software update.

... So I am wondering, and trying to learn about, why some batteries have developed this issue.

What issue is that? Again, Tesla is telling me my battery is fine, "have reviewed your cars data to ensure there are no other issues that are occurring with your battery or the charging system and everything is working as it should".

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Wow. I am really sympathetic. You have 12% loss after only 4 years and 43,000 miles?

Yes. Yes. Yes. But 12% suddenly after 2019.16.x update.

That just seems really unexpected.

Not unexpected. Here is a sample tracker the owners participating in this thread have put together.

I was assuming way more miles? Are you an outlier, or is this typical?

I'm not outlier. See this tracker.

Are your anodes pure carbon?

Who knows. Tesla is not talking.

On Edit: When I purchased the car, Tesla did not tell me what my anodes were made of. For my purpose, they can be made of whatever material to make the battery work. At least at that time it was not a factor in buying decision, "tell me what your anodes are made of?" No one was asking that question. Wonder how many buyers even knew what the composition of a battery anode can be and pros/cons. Irrelevant.

Last edited:
Here are the choices Tesla can do to remedy this issue

1. Send an update to restore the mileage of the car effected by the range decrease caused by the software update.
2. Monetarily compensate the owners effected by the range decrease caused by the update.
3. Replace the battery packs for the cars effected by possible battery module failure that results in a fire.

If Tesla is so concerned with the older gen battery packs catching fire then maybe they should install new 100kw battery packs and lock them to whatever the car was originally designed for. Charge the customer to fully unlock the pack for further range.

Here are the choices Tesla can do to remedy this issue

1. Send an update to restore the mileage of the car effected by the range decrease caused by the software update.
2. Monetarily compensate the owners effected by the range decrease caused by the update.
3. Replace the battery packs for the cars effected by possible battery module failure that results in a fire.

If Tesla is so concerned with the older gen battery packs catching fire then maybe they should install new 100kw battery packs and lock them to whatever the car was originally designed for. Charge the customer to fully unlock the pack for further range.

In regards to both 1) and 2), it’s not just range; I also lost substantial acceleration/performance.

Any properly charged Lithium Ion battery will not develop excessive Li Plating. It only happens under certain conditions a properly programmed BMS should prevent it.

Any cell that has excessive Li Plating is damaged and unsafe and slapping a software fix on it to lock out capacity is a terrible idea for the long run and still a ticking time bomb. For the short run, it's a great idea to limit range and slap a message up on the display to tell the consumer to come to the service center as soon as possible.

This is not even a warranty issue. It's a safety issue and would apply to batteries even beyond the 8 year warranty. It should be a safety recall which has NO TIME OR MILEAGE LIMIT.

Ok, so let’s say Li plating is occurring. How would Tesla detect that via firmware?

Early 18650 cells have a different chemical make up than later cells.

True. Gen1 chemistry was exclusive to 2012 MY and early 2013. These were limited to maximum 90 kw charging.

Gen2 was released in 2013 and used up until the 90 kWh battery was unveiled.

Gen3 is used in the 90 kWh and some 75 kWh. Consensus is that these batteries suffered much higher rates of degradation compared to gen2.

Gen4 is presumably used in all new 18650.

Ok... revisited tge Oceanside Service Center
They today confirmed my earlier post that there IS a criteria that is used to replace batteries under warranty as I had described. For MY car (2014 S 85 with 136,000 miles) the nominal degradation is 231 miles rated range from an initial 265 miles rated range both numbers based on 295 Wh/mile.

However, when confronted with my data that my 217 mile full pack rated is now based on 276 Wh/mile, they refused to accept or acknowledge my data. Claiming they do not trust ANY 3rd party data and they can ONLY go by the data that their test set provides. So, until my car's full pack rated range drops at or below 208 miles - or my display show a battery error code they can do (and will do) nothing.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this.

They today confirmed my earlier post that there IS a criteria that is used to replace batteries under warranty as I had described. For MY car (2014 S 85 with 136,000 miles) the nominal degradation is 231 miles rated range from an initial 265 miles rated range both numbers based on 295 Wh/mile.

However, when confronted with my data that my 217 mile full pack rated is now based on 276 Wh/mile, they refused to accept or acknowledge my data. Claiming they do not trust ANY 3rd party data and they can ONLY go by the data that their test set provides. So, until my car's full pack rated range drops at or below 208 miles - or my display show a battery error code they can do (and will do) nothing.

Let's say that in 6 months your car does drop to 208 miles... But the normal range for the fleet of comparable cars at that point is 225 miles. You still aren't more than 10% under the fleet... :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and DJRas
Can someone pull some strings, call in some favors, and get an answer out of Tesla? We have movers and shakers in this forum, surely someone who knows someone at Tesla, or at least an attorney, who could get some answers? lol

I'm no mover or shaker, but I just pinged Fred at Electrek to see if he'd follow up with the mother ship.

Both our TMS (2013 P85/2015 85D) still charges to 4,2v, but supercharger speed has been seriously capped. 30-40% reduction throughout the entire scale with max speed at extremely low soc just above 70kW. In fact, even chademo speeds are reduced by nearly 15kW in the 60-70% soc range. The 2015 has seen some supercharging as it has been on long road trips around Europe on some occations, but the 2013 has not and has very little supercharging. Still both are equally capped. Both cars have around 100k miles on them.

No trip to from Norway to Spain this year as total supercharging time would increase from 22hrs to 34hrs, and that means we will no longer be able to make the trip one way in three long days. So two extra travel days to a total of 8 days on such a trip because of this supercharger capping then. No can do :(

Just wish Tesla could understand that most people need to know what kind of car they own tomorrow. Changing things like this is sneaky ****er behaviour. And you can quote me on that.

Last edited:

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this.

Thanks for the info.

So, the battery warranty replacement for model S won't kick in till you have at least 21.5% Rated Miles loss?

Reactions: neroden