Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All four cars could not charge at the at Lincoln, NH supercharger, but could use the destination chargers? Just to confirm.
Correct. The two WC's were in use when I arrived (a 3 and an S; both cars could not charge at the SC, but were pulling 48A when I arrived). I started on the 32A Clipper Creek J1772. An X came by, mentioned the SC didn't work for him either, and left to try a J1772 down the road at the Woodstock Inn (I assume it worked; he didn't come back). I moved to a WC after the 3 left to bump up to 80A. A different X came by, same SC issue. He started on the J1772, then moved to the other WC after the other S left. I was able to successfully DCFC on a Chademo and again at a different SC later that night.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Correct. The two WC's were in use when I arrived (a 3 and an S; both cars could not charge at the SC, but were pulling 48A when I arrived). I started on the 32A Clipper Creek J1772. An X came by, mentioned the SC didn't work for him either, and left to try a J1772 down the road at the Woodstock Inn (I assume it worked; he didn't come back). I moved to a WC after the 3 left to bump up to 80A. A different X came by, same SC issue. He started on the J1772, then moved to the other WC after the other S left. I was able to successfully DCFC on a Chademo and again at a different SC later that night.

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if the 'Unable to DC charge' message has anything to do with the limitations we see from the recent software updates. The occurrence is pretty random so it's hard to pin it on something specific. I have never seen it before the recent weeks, though and since others also seem to see this pop up only recently at random locations I would assume it's a recent change (more sensitive threshold) of a safety feature of the car's software.

• Informative
I don't know if the 'Unable to DC charge' message has anything to do with the limitations we see from the recent software updates. The occurrence is pretty random so it's hard to pin it on something specific. I have never seen it before the recent weeks, though and since others also seem to see this pop up only recently at random locations I would assume it's a recent change (more sensitive threshold) of a safety feature of the car's software.
From @tga's post, I would venture to suggest that as it seemed to affect all cars that tried to Supercharge, it is likely to be a site problem. Have there been any similar reports from other sites?

Last edited:
This "Unable to Fast DC charge/Supercharge" error can also be caused by Supercharger issues; it doesn't mean a problem with your car. I saw it the first time last Sunday when I tried to charge at Lincoln, NH. I tried all 3 pairs; all failed. I went down the road to Loon Mountain to use one of their 80A destination chargers (yay, dual chargers!), and found 2 others who couldn't charge. 2 more came by while I was charging. The Supercharger still shows "Temporary closure" in the nav system.
Oops, to clarify, I meant "it doesn't necessarily mean a problem with your car." Obviously, a car may have a problem where it can't supercharge at any site. I just meant that an individual failure may not mean the car is at fault.

Hi ALL!

My late 2014 S85, referenced above, has been in the service center and I received an email from the SC, stating that they found an issue with the onboard charger. I was told they were waiting for a part, regarding that issue.

I have searched the forum and did not find any relation except a reference to a possible software related problem with the on board charger. ANyone have comment on the above, especially as relates to the battery cap, crippled charge rate, capacity losses that I noted? Can a bad battery cause the on board charger to fail?or vice versa?

Thank you very much

FURY
I don’t think there is any link. The onboard charger's job is to convert incoming AC to DC. So it would have zero effect on incoming DC current, which bypasses the onboard charger, and goes straight to the battery

Some stats that don't add up. I have an MS60 2014, available capacity from new was 58.6kWh. Available capacity as of today 47kWh (via SMT). UK rated when new was 242 miles, rated miles now 206 miles. 58.6kWh downto 47kWh is approx. 20% reduction yet 242 to 206 is only 15% ? Is this downto Tesla changing the rated range efficiency? 242kWh/mile downto 228kWh/mile ?

80A @? V

Could be around 18kw or 9kw....

Not very high in terms of likely damage to battery.

79A@239V - the HPWC is literally on the other side of the wall from the service panel, but I still mange to lose a volt in there somewhere :)

I agree the does not seem so high, but perhaps some weirdness between the onboard charger and the BMS/battery pack. I know, clutching at straws...

• Informative