Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lawsuit related evidence to whoever may need it. Official Tesla information:

Supercharging

Translation in English:
Does Supercharging affect my battery?
The highest charging speed of the battery can decrease somewhat after a large number of fast charging sessions, such as with Superchargers. To ensure maximum range and safety of the battery, the charging speed of the battery is reduced when it is too cold, nearly full, or when its state changes with use and over the years. Due to these changes in the condition of the battery, the total Supercharger time can increase over time with a few minutes.

Without the need to translate: Supercharging

"Does Supercharging affect my battery?

The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time."

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
A few minutes ...
per milliwatthour charged? Or per KwH?
I guess the minutes could also be the famous Elonminutes..
Sometimes I just hope this is all a bad dream and they are doing this only to gain time to prepare replacement batteries and announce the recall whenever stock price/momentum allows it. Apart from the updated warranty terms which gives us a crystal clear signal for new Tesla cars, everything else is so overwhelming that it is hard to believe they are really trying to protect themselves. Even a graduate lawyer would win this case against them. I did read that class action lawsuit and it is so well stated and to the point, that I find it quite impossible for Tesla to win over this.

Last edited:
Sometimes I just hope this is all a bad dream and they are doing this only to gain time to prepare replacement batteries and announce the recall whenever stock price/momentum allows it. Apart from the updated warranty terms which gives us a crystal clear signal for new Tesla cars, everything else is so overwhelming that it is hard to believe they are really trying to protect themselves. Even a graduate lawyer would win this case against them. I did read that class action lawsuit and it is so well stated and to the point, that I find it quite impossible for Tesla to win over this.

Let us hope so.

The stock and their financials are doing well, but they do need two more consecutive quarters of profitability to be eligible for S&P 500 listing. :rolleyes:

This tidbit on warranty costs reported by Barrons, gleaned from annual report:
upload_2020-2-13_9-53-51.png

Maybe means something for folks on this thread, maybe not.

Source: Tesla is selling more stock, discloses subpoena from the SEC — Barron's

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and Guy V
So, as far as i know, mid February is the time for the mediation regarding David's class action suit.

Nope, end of the month. From: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.345967/gov.uscourts.cand.345967.21.0_1.pdf

THEREFORE, subject to the approval of the Court, the parties agree and stipulate as follows: The parties shall complete mediation prior to February 28, 2020, and shall submit a report to the Court on or before that date regarding the outcome of the mediation. This matter shall be stayed until February 28, 2020.

Let's say they do end up replacing the batteries they also need to explain the WHY. If they just replace and give new batteries that does not fix the issue in the first place. Someone should write up a nice Linkedin post and link this thread to that post. A lot of business professionals look and read linkedin. I am no longer an owner of a Tesla i sold mine this week for exactly what i bought it for a year ago with 20K more miles. I will add one other item if they replace the batteries they should also upgrade the interior Tesla is inferior to some other high end sports cars. Just saying...

This might interest you all, had a reply before my service is due regarding my S85 charging rate. I get 50k on average, once it hit 90kw on a different charger. But their wording is interesting re the S85 BMS updates.

I also want a top up for the coolant but they want to charge me for a replacement cooling valve before seeing the car?

See attached:
Capture.PNG

This might interest you all, had a reply before my service is due regarding my S85 charging rate. I get 50k on average, once it hit 90kw on a different charger. But their wording is interesting re the S85 BMS updates.

I also want a top up for the coolant but they want to charge me for a replacement cooling valve before seeing the car?

See attached:View attachment 510932

A slight reduction of fast charging peak power? The overall charging time from 10% to 85% is not significantly affected?

What a load of road apples.

After a 70-minute drive last week on a spring-like day, my maximum fast charging peak power was 82kW at 18%. It used to be around 105-110, so by all accounts this is a ~20% reduction in peak power.

My only data regarding timed Supercharging is from ~40% to ~65%. Both times the charge took about a half hour. I don't recall the previous duration, but I am sure that it was somewhere between 20-25 minutes, as I used to receive about 65-70kW of juice at 40%.

Tesla Motors, "Proudly taking understatement to new lows since 2012."

It is getting more and more frustrating reading this discussion. Tesla's patronizing answers, lying that everything is just fine and now excluding the contactors from the warranty (when it clearly states 'the battery pack'). My car shut down again before 0 miles which is definitely a result of the limitations by software. For 5.5 years I was able to drive to 0 and I never had the car shut down. Since the update it was 3 times now. So just be aware, they are not just clipping range at the top, you also have less wiggle room at the bottom.

See attached:View attachment 510932
This is good news. Make sure though they commit to having your previous speed before making you pay :)

The way I see it, for any number of reasons, Tesla should be replacing a lot of batteries based on the whole "Our BMS is the shiznit so if it breaks it's our fault" statement. The BMS failed to protect the batteries - whether it was too much supercharging, charging too fast on a cold pack, not identifying cell/module imbalances, chemical changes due to coolant submersion, cosmic rays, whatever.

Plus delivering batteries that never had a chance of making the 691 advertised HP - all P85Ds should be getting a new 100 pack that can actually make that level of HP.

That would go a long way toward rebuilding trust. And get all that weasel language out of the new warranty while you're at it.