Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both, less displayed kms (miles) and less kwh in Nominal and Usable full pack on Scan My Tesla readings.
90% charge in Dec 2018 displayed 342 km range and last time i got 329 km
80% charge in July 2019 displayed 303 km range and last time i got 292 km

But more importantly
I had 74,5 kwh of Nominal full pack in November 2019 and now i only have 73,1

Sorry but in my opinion this is only evident if you have done several charging sessions with a warm battery. If I am charging slow (11kW) with a cold battery I also have a lower nominal full pack compared with charging a warm battery or with 22kW (which is also warming the battery). Please see the Teslafi curve with it's bottoms and hills to prove this statement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-100116.jpg
    Screenshot_20200314-100116.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 89
Sorry but in my opinion this is only evident if you have done several charging sessions with a warm battery. If I am charging slow (11kW) with a cold battery I also have a lower nominal full pack compared with charging a warm battery or with 22kW (which is also warming the battery). Please see the Teslafi curve with it's bottoms and hills to prove this statement.

Ah! you want to see my Teslafi curve?
Here
Tesla 24-03-20.jpg

I want to see volts. If 2019.40 allowed you to charge 4.20v and 2020.4 lowered it it 4.15 and 2020.12 lowered it again to 4.1 that's an incremental decrease that ignores weather etc.

I want to see volts. If 2019.40 allowed you to charge 4.20v and 2020.4 lowered it it 4.15 and 2020.12 lowered it again to 4.1 that's an incremental decrease that ignores weather etc.
Ah! you want to see my Teslafi curve?
HereView attachment 525136
Interesting, Thanks! So you have a decreased range from 373 to 368km over 15000km. That's not nice, but 2...3km each 10000km seems to be not abnormal. To make sure it is really only degradation we need your final voltage. To look to the exact typical range makes me also sometimes nervous, but with the next charging session it is typically back on the old value, so who cares ?
The reduced charging speed is for me the bigger issue !

Reactions: Chaserr
Interesting, Thanks! So you have a decreased range from 373 to 368km over 15000km. That's not nice, but 2...3km each 10000km seems to be not abnormal. To make sure it is really only degradation we need your final voltage. To look to the exact typical range makes me also sometimes nervous, but with the next charging session it is typically back on the old value, so who cares ?
The reduced charging speed is for me the bigger issue !

I went from 373km to 365km (not 368km) on that graphic.
Only 15.000 km and about 6 months have passed.
Do you think that's ok? This was no happening before July 2019.
If it stopped i would be "ok", but if i keep losing range at this rate i will soon have a worthless car for long drives.
And this is obviously not degradation, because it didn't happened before at this rate.
Tesla clearly just want us to dump our "old" Teslas and buy new ones.
I hope the class action suit kicks Tesla's ass big time.

• Love
Reactions: gmo43 and johnman10
If it stopped i would be "ok", but if i keep losing range at this rate i will soon have a worthless car for long drives.
And this is obviously not degradation, because it didn't happened before at this rate.
Yes, I cannot wait to buy another Tesla after this..

Does this point to my 12v or my main battery?
View attachment 524148
Looks like it was a faulty drive unit, which was replaced under warranty. Battery/DU warranty expire in August of 2021, I'm seriously considering selling before then. I can't afford a $20,000+ battery replacement out of warranty. At that point, I might as well dump my Tesla at a junk yard and get a Prius. If I do sell, I would have to consider a non-Tesla EV. I have very little trust in Tesla's battery tech at this point, and even less in Tesla's desire to "do the right thing" in any situation.

Sorry but the last drop to 365 is not relevant. As you can see on my Teslafi chart it differs by 10km. You first have to do at minimum 2 or 3 more charging sessions before you should believe the 365km. Only my 2 cent.

quick update from me. I have driven quite a bit since they got me. Aprox 43,000 miles. Range has been dropping rapidly since then. Much faster than it every did in the previous 6 years. My cell balance is also getting worse fast. I have been monitoring it for many years and it was always around 3-5 mV when charge to around 90%. It has been pretty consistent. Now it's about 22 mV at 90%. I also feel like power is lower than it used to be. The car still refuses to charge to 100% most of the time. On a supercharger it usually goes to 99% but on AC anywhere between 95 and 99. Charge rate at the supercharger is a mixed bag but the trend is also down on average.

Keep in mind this graph is almost 200k miles and 4 years of data.
FusionCharts(2).png

quick update from me. I have driven quite a bit since they got me. Aprox 43,000 miles. Range has been dropping rapidly since then. Much faster than it every did in the previous 6 years. My cell balance is also getting worse fast. I have been monitoring it for many years and it was always around 3-5 mV when charge to around 90%. It has been pretty consistent. Now it's about 22 mV at 90%. I also feel like power is lower than it used to be. The car still refuses to charge to 100% most of the time. On a supercharger it usually goes to 99% but on AC anywhere between 95 and 99. Charge rate at the supercharger is a mixed bag but the trend is also down on average.

Keep in mind this graph is almost 200k miles and 4 years of data.
View attachment 526076

For those who use technical analysis (charts) for investing I'm sure the projected average of your "battery level" from 84K -230K miles (pre-software restriction) is pretty obvious, but it might be helpful to show that projected line with the actual average to clearly demonstrate the disparity.

Reactions: David99
Anyone know if we have an update on mediation?

The only thing I have seen is that they have filed a motion to protect discovery from public disclosure. So I would say that doesn't bode well for mediation coming to a successful resolution. (But hey there is still a few more days to come to an agreement or extend it further.)

My final update for my 2014 Model S 530.000 km.
I returned from Vienna where they replaced the battery. This is the battery serial. Looks like it is a 2015 Reman. If you have additional info please let me know.
The battery appears to be healthy. When the car first got online I saw on the app ideal range on the cold battery 433 km.
After a while the ideal range dropped to 400km. Typical is 320 for 400 ideal. This is the range I had before the battery has died.
I have a cap on the voltage now. The cap is around 80% from all the available capacity. Correct me if I am wrong. I attached a picture with voltage at 100% at CHADEMO adapter. 394V charging complete and still charging at 30kw just before stop.
The warranty say that Tesla has to give me a battery with the same or better capacity. Looks like I got the same capacity. I discharged from 100 to almost 0% and I got 59.7kw.
The battery charges like new. I saw 100 kw at 30% and 40 kw charging speed at 90%. See the attached pictures.
Taking in to account the km of the car and that they let me use the same capacity I had before the error, I am OK with that. I would like to have it all, but I understand that they try to make sure this is the last battery they change for me in warranty. Limited to 80% I am sure the battery will go a long way.
Hope this helps.

I got the answer from Tesla:

"after performing an online diagnose please be informed that there is no issue with your HV Battery.

When we replace battery packs under warranty, we guarantee to install a pack with the same characteristics as the one that was removed. (not as it was when new)

We have complied to this procedure.

It is expected that the HV battery in your vehicle is not performing as it was when the vehicle was new.

Please also advised that the capacity and other characteristics like accumulated wear etc. are all equal or better to the pack they had installed before.

If you perceive the range to be lower than expected please perform a test drive and test vehicle range. Attached you can find the data that we need for further diagnostics. The same data is needed for charging issues.

If you believe that heating performance is inadequate, please perform a test. Set the heating to maximum and not AUTO on the MCU. Please test heating on this setting and if you still perceive it to be too cold, please provide a timestamp of this test. Please also give us the information where the heating performance is perceived to be inadequate. (footwell/dash front/rear etc...) This issue can then be investigated online.

As soon you have the data please schedule an appointment and sent this data with your VIN number included.

Please be informed that if the diagnose is not covered by warranty cost of diagnose will be charged."
Also attached was an excel file with columns to be filled: date, time, range, range remaining, etc

Even if my range is 4-5 km lower that my last test 1 week before it died, I am OK with the car and Tesla, considering the KM.
It appears to me the battery with 100% at 394V instead of 404V, is limited to 80-85% and it has minimum degradation, making me confident it will last a long time.

Hope it helps.

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3 and Droschke
Unless mediation results in new replacement batteries like the 14 module 350V pack for all capped owners, I would like this to go to court with full public disclosure for two reasons:

1) to get a successful resolution even if it takes longer than resolutions

2) to get the full facts about the issue and the internal comms within Tesla to understand what they knew and what decisions they made and why they made them

When I buy my next EV I want to purchase from a manufacturer that treats its customers fairly and honours its commitments even if financially painful.