Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He did achieve what he set out to do - if you read what he was looking for before changing the story after his questions were answered, he wanted a name of a 75 battery owner as he had previously believed his car was immune. What followed was the natural and predictable response of almost anyone confronted with difficult bad news: The stages of grief. While misplaced, those emotions are natural and expected. If he's very lucky, all of us here will achieve what we have set out to do.

Yes, these were Kidde/Firex units with a 135F setpoint. This was in MA where it didn't get much above upper 90's.
This has got to be the weirdest "disagree" I've ever gotten... I guess I don't know what brand of smoke/heat detectors was installed in my house, or the well-documented setpoint of said heat detectors? Or maybe the location of my house or it's climate is in question?

I forgot to add - the only downside to heat detectors in the attic is the risk of false alarms. I did have mine go off once or twice during extreme heat waves. Maybe a sign of inadequate attic venting?

I have 5 heat detectors in my attic tied to 5 fire zones on my alarm. I've had two false alarms in the past 3 years so now those zones are no longer alarmed for fire but instead I have ISY send me a text message when they trip so I at least know to check the cameras in the attic to see if anything is going on.

Def a possibility. One I found activates at 135 (maybe they all do?), so with outside temp 115-120, I can see attic getting to 135 even with venting. Anyways, thanks for the info, will pay attention to activation temp.

I'm fortunate that my attic never gets more than 12F higher than outside so if it's 105 out (hottest day of the year) it's 117F in the attic. Yet the 135F heat detectors can occasionally trigger below that. One of the false alarms was on a rare 112F day (doesn't happen every year) and the temperature where the heat detector triggered was 128F which is way below the 135 threshold.

• Informative
Reactions: mymagiccarpet
It’s been a while since I’ve looked at this thread, been to busy dealing with dying door locks, boot latch and a couple of days ago a failing lower fore control arm (now wasn‘t that a surprise when the front wheel started rubbing on the wheel arch). So the honeymoon is definitely over, cannot drive, get in the boot, open the drivers door or lock the car. A real car for die hard enthusiasts, still tossing up whether to sell now and wait for my Cybertruck or keep on running the gauntlet, given I live 400km from the next SC.

I have now covered 40,000km since the software update that affected us all, from a typical range of 332km in April to 301km in May and then with the mitigating software update a few months later back to 313km and 59KWh. And that is holding steady, no noticeable reduction since last August and 30,000km ago. Of course the battery could be degrading further behind the cloak of the software, but so far I find that somewhat encouraging. Way more than wheels that fall off...

• Informative
Reactions: boywonder and Guy V
Hi, please excuse my English as a second language ...

Are there any known details of 75 cars which have the software limited 85 pack? Do those get 4.1V capped? What about their charging curves?

On the topic of preconditioning the battery when a supercharger is set as navigation destination: that was broken from approx 2019.40.x to 2020.12.x. I use TeslaLogger, it can monitor battery preconditioning (see Open Source Teslalogger on Raspberry / Docker with ScanMyTesla integration).
Thanks. I've actually got an old 3B I won at a conference and used to teach my daughter about computers sitting on my desk.
About time it earned its keep!

When talking science in the future, learn the language.
This isn't a science forum, and colloquial speech uses theory and hypothesis interchangeably, as you well know, but you're more interested in playing word games.

Correct. That's the hypothesis we are discussing that you're objecting to. You've personally accepted it as a proven theory,
False, more word games from you.
but refuse to allow anyone to discuss the possibility despite the fact that it's a theory fully supported by 100% of the available evidence.
Also false, as I've said repeatedly it's a plausible theory, hypothesis, conjecture, whatever you wish to label it. I've never once tried to stop discussion, plus the fact that I don't have that ability.
Your denial of evidence and attempts to silence anyone discussing possible hypothesis that works perfectly is... well... you've described people who act against the evidence in exactly the way you're acting and you weren't flattering.
More falsehoods. I've not denied evidence and I've said multiple times that it could be an explanation. You keep denying what I've said over and over again.

I challenge anyone in this thread to quote where I said the problem can't be dendrite growth. Or you could simply admit that you've been wrong and actively trying to mischaracterize what I've been saying all along.

It may be helpful for some here to learn that while "discover" might look like a portmanteau of the words "disrespect" and "cover" it isn't actually a blending of the two words.

@trayloader The person you're asking doesn't have any Tesla, and has clearly articulated they do not care for the lives and safety of Tesla owners. Questionable motivations are tough to discern but I bet if you read their signature you will discover some truth in it.

Last edited:
Went on a long weekend trip to Pismo beach this weekend. About 600 miles total. Each supercharging session was at the usual full rate. No issues charging or driving. Car was perfect. The only bummer is I'm doing this now without app access since I'm still on V8.
Same here with my MS. My MX has been a PITA even going 130 miles from home.

No, my interest hasn't dramatically changed one way or another. In fact my interest in this particular case was related to yet another instance of @Chaserr polluting unrelated threads with wildly inflated claims and statements of "fact" that have no factual basis. Things such as:

"batterygate is why Tesla removed the 60D->75D unlock" - fully and completely speculative, but presented as fact.

"... plug in and try to charge at a Supercharger. 75D s aren't as old and are still limited by the same hidden fire prevention measures" - it seems nobody has actually confirmed this, but again it's presented as fact. On the contrary, 75kwh batteries have received 30% improvement in peak supercharging rates over the past year, and there isn't a single confirmed report of extended cooling pump cycles.

"There is a long thread with names of owners affected who have 75kwh batteries." - we appear to have identified (possibly) one, without actual substantiation of the claim. So this is, at best, a gross exaggeration.

So my interest is much as it always has been - holding people accountable for the rampant spread of exaggerations, half-truths, and outright lies related to to this case. That said, if I'm wrong and have simply missed the ample evidence available, I'd like to be corrected and educated. @Chaserr disengaged when confronted and refused to provide any actual substantiation to his claims, so I came to the source.
Already answered both many times.
1. No.
2. Discover the truth.
Already answered both many times.
1. No.
2. Discover the truth.

And the truth sets you free

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr
Went on a long weekend trip to Pismo beach this weekend. About 600 miles total. Each supercharging session was at the usual full rate. No issues charging or driving. Car was perfect. The only bummer is I'm doing this now without app access since I'm still on V8.
You managed to keep 8.1 past the deadline didn't you? I'm still jealous.

If any hackers offer a full 8.1 downgrade service, I will pay whatever you think it's worth plus 100% mark up.