Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I did. The line appears during heavy acceleration. It looks to actually be around 250-275 kw.
All I got back was the same answer we all are getting about degradation :(

What a load.

I don't believe this is a symptom of others that have been hit by the update. Something else is going on. You may have a cooling system failure. I had a cooling louver fail several years ago which resulted in slower supercharging and the yellow line / reduced power after supercharging during acceleration. I was told that the battery was normal and that there were no faults. The tech didn't actually check for faults but instead said if there were any faults, they'd be displayed on the IC.

This was at the Fremont location and the tech's name was Algier. I was told he was the chief diagnostician. I insisted that he check and he came back literally 2 minutes later and said "nope, no faults" but that my slow supercharging was because I'd hit lifetime limits and that the reduced supercharging was to protect the battery. I told him that the 85's were not subject to those limits and he said "well if you say so".

The service manager observed the entire interaction and she came up to me after and said she'd like to make me an appointment at another location to get my battery checked out. So she got me into Dublin for the following Monday(this was a Friday) and I know they had quite a wait so she pulled her service manager strings and got me in front of the line.

I showed up to the Dublin service center on Monday and checked the car in. Before I'd even left, the triage tech informed that there was a cooling system louver alert that had been in the logs for the last 4 months and that they'd be replacing the passenger side cooling louver. I told them how the master tech at the Fremont location had just told me Friday there were no codes or alerts of any kind and that everything was fine.

The car was done the next day and supercharging and performance returned to normal.

The moral here is that even the best techs don't always know. Although in my case this was the tech not wanting to even check for a problem.

Owning a Tesla is like having to advocate for your own child's healthcare. My daughter had a serious heart defect that wasn't discovered until she was 15. She had open heart surgery (heart lung bypass...the works) in December to correct it. The only reason it was finally found, after years of raising concerns with her Pediatrician, was me putting my foot down and being very insistent the she order an ecg. Her doctor finally agreed but said she was only doing it to calm me down and not because she thought there was actually anything wrong. The ecg showed the right side of her heart enlarged. It turned out she had a PAPVR which would have eventually resulted in heart failure had she not first droped dead from a sudden heart attack which happens to kids with this defect if it goes undiagnosed too long.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is a symptom of others that have been hit by the update. Something else is going on. You may have a cooling system failure. I had a cooling louver fail several years ago which resulted in slower supercharging and the yellow line / reduced power after supercharging during acceleration. I was told that the battery was normal and that there were no faults. The tech didn't actually check for faults but instead said if there were any faults, they'd be displayed on the IC.

This was at the Fremont location and the tech's name was Algier. I was told he was the chief diagnostician. I insisted that he check and he came back literally 2 minutes later and said "nope, no faults" but that my slow supercharging was because I'd hit lifetime limits and that the reduced supercharging was to protect the battery. I told him that the 85's were not subject to those limits and he said "well if you say so".

The service manager observed the entire interaction and she came up to me after and said she'd like to make me an appointment at another location to get my battery checked out. So she got me into Dublin for the following Monday(this was a Friday) and I know they had quite a wait so she pulled her service manager strings and got me in front of the line.

I showed up to the Dublin service center on Monday and checked the car in. Before I'd even left, the triage tech informed that there was a cooling system louver alert that had been in the logs for the last 4 months and that they'd be replacing the passenger side cooling louver. I told them how the master tech at the Fremont location had just told me Friday there were no codes or alerts of any kind and that everything was fine.

The car was done the next day and supercharging and performance returned to normal.

The moral here is that even the best techs don't always know. Although in my case this was the tech not wanting to even check for a problem.

Owning a Tesla is like having to advocate for your own child's healthcare. My daughter had a serious heart defect that wasn't discovered until she was 15. She had open heart surgery (heart lung bypass...the works) in December to correct it. The only reason it was finally found, after years of raising concerns with her Pediatrician, was me putting my foot down and being very insistent the she order an ecg. Her doctor finally agreed but said she was only doing it to calm me down and not because she thought there was actually anything wrong. The ecg showed the right side of her heart enlarged. It turned out she had a PAPVR which would have eventually resulted in heart failure had she not first droped dead from a sudden heart attack which happens to kids with this defect if it goes undiagnosed too long.
The louvers are fine.. All this happened immediately after the update took away the capacity and some of the power. The day prior to the update, I was able to charge to my full range and at 120kw and have no power limitation except then the battery had below 120 miles left.

The louvers are fine.. All this happened immediately after the update took away the capacity and some of the power. The day prior to the update, I was able to charge to my full range and at 120kw and have no power limitation except then the battery had below 120 miles left.

Bummer. Then I guess it's not possible you could have any other issues and you're in the same boat as the rest of those that have had their range ripped away....and in your case a power limiting yellow lineo_O

Wow. That is a painful analogy. Been there. Glad you held to your instincts and she is better.

How much range loss has it been for you?
Detail about your model, build year, odometer, etc. would be appreciated as well.
Not in a position to be affected by the range loss - S P100D 6/2017, 2019.20.4.2, 87.000km (54.000 m), located in Austria.
This year I've had
  • Autopilot nerfed (max rate of turn limited, no longer handles curvy highways, 2019.16.1)
  • Auto lane change nerfed (will only attempt to change lanes for five seconds after touching turn indicator, 2019.16.1)
  • Earlier taper of supercharge speed (2019.20.1)
What I've also noticed is that I get restricted recuperation (yellow line) when starting in the morning. 50% SoC, 20°C. Vanishes after just a few minutes of driving, but still new at summer temperatures.

You may have seen the graph detailing the change in supercharge taper I'm observing on my car: Latest Sc Results

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Droschke
Did you skip half the pages in this thread?

Here is a link to one such page Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I'm not going to go back through 70 pages worth of messages to find all the people that discussed it but it was mentioned several times that threads on the other forum about this issue are deleted promptly.
I've read the accusations, I just don't see any proof. There are plenty of complaints at the Tesla forums, it would be very strange for Tesla to remove specific complaint threads and not others. I've been involved with that forum long enough to know that Tesla does not remove posts. If they did, why did the post you linked above remain? Makes no sense.

I don't believe everything I read, especially when there is no evidence to support.

After pushing back I was texted this:

"Hey Robbie, we did review your data and confirmed it. In 2019.16+ firmware the battery management software was updated to increase the performance and long term reliability of the battery. Older battery's (sic) with high wear from mileage, DC charging, etc. may have a range drop but it was done to improve the battery's overall health. There are no indications of internal or hardware issues with your battery. If you would still like to talk we can but the most we can give you are the talking points we were provided explaining this condition. I will resend them."
The use of the term "talking points" by your service advisor is curious and suspicious.