Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EPA rated full charge at 4.2v. Reducing voltage at 100% is changing the EPA rating without the EPA's consent. Illegal.

You hit the nail on the head here. Tesla is changing the EPA rating after sale. VW did this and was sued to high heaven, the news called it "dieselgate" and the punishments for post-sale EPA mileage adjustments in software are, precedence wise, extremely severe. Tesla is returning the voltage before an EPA investigation forces them to buy back cars like they made VW do. Changes to teh EPA's pre-sale ratings are taken seriously and it would be incredibly ironic for Tesla to be handed a dieselgate conviction. The EPA absolutely will not allow companies to cheat their official EPA tested numbers.

I agree 100%, I was chastised by members on this board for comparing this to dieselgate. Look where we are now.

@sixela We already know the limit isn't imposed by the BMS software - otherwise replacing the battery (where the BMS lives) would fix the issue. It doesn't. This has been verified on multiple owners' cars, the limit has to be removed with an MCU update like any other software cap tesla has used

We don't know that. The person impacted said that it didn't require a software update, it just happened. Also you don't know if the fault was left over from remanufacturing the replacement pack they got. So the fault may not have even been from their car.

Would you be willing to post the redacted version of the Tesla response here? Thanks.

Not at the moment because it doesn’t say a lot more than I quoted and I want to maintain a good relationship with the service centre as I/we try to resolve this especially with the class action running.

I want the SC to be as open with me as possible. If they feel that anything in writing gets posted here immediately then they may stop putting anything in writing.

I will post any other information that I can... as I have been doing so far. I’m trying to be as open as possible and am looking for a good outcome for myself and all those affected.

Hope you understand.

Who here thinks that this behavior is ok?

I don’t think it’s ok. It would be terrible customer service.

The customer could sue saying they used to have enough TVs that no matter where they looked they could be watching their promised unlimited TV and the vendor could counter argue that as long as you have one TV left you can watch it an unlimited amount. :(

... oh and they could bring a couple back in the meantime to show that they are remedying the situation.

I agree 100%, I was chastised by members on this board for comparing this to dieselgate. Look where we are now.
You were correct and they wish you weren't. There is an option to "Ignore" the more abrasive apologists when you click their username. They add nothing and do their best to derail this discussion so I recommend clicking it. It effectively erases them from your entire existence, I highly recommend it.

Not at the moment because it doesn’t say a lot more than I quoted and I want to maintain a good relationship with the service centre as I/we try to resolve this especially with the class action running.

We've gotten to the point where we fear tesla taking retribution against us or our cars. This is not the same company it was years ago.

Last edited:
When I first noticed this thread in May and started for the first time to actively post on this forum, my assumption was I'm doing so because I'm impacted by the update and would like to see what other impacted owners would have to say. Had no idea that there are actually other members who are not impacted but for some particular reasons would be attracted to this thread as the opposition party. Opposition to what? That this sudden capacity cap is all normal and whatever Tesla does to our cars, which by the way we have purchased and own, is OK and no one can question it?

I do not have yellow screen issue. As I read that thread for information, I've never in my wildest dream been tempted to actively oppose and distract, and discredit the other owners impacted by their screens yellowing. Why should I?

I'm not the opposition party -- I'm just saying that some of the arguments developed would be laughed out of court. There's a lot of groupthink in this thread from affected users and it is going to sound very foreign to anyone outside of that group (including all the people that can actually mitigate the issue).

Whether the sudden capacity cap is "normal" is open to interpretation (since everyone knows Li-Ion pack do degrade and the BMS software's choices are Tesla's responsibility) and unfortunately without any specific warranty guarantees (which don't exist for S and X, only for Model 3 but at an extremely low bar) litigation is probably not going to solve anything; plus Tesla knows exactly why there is capping and customers don't (which of course explains the very real customer satisfaction issue but puts the customers at a disadvantage in litigation, although discovery might narrow that gap).

On the contrary, it's going to make sure that Tesla will in future give as little information as they can get away with (or rather, can't, but I have personal experience of legal sticking their nodes in what can and cannot say to customers, and I can assure you the lawyers have a rather minimalistic view of what customers should know).

And also ensure that in future the small print for what constitutes unacceptable range at the end of the warranty period will be even more conservative. Who knows, Tesla might even start to "pull an Audi" and cap all cars, old and new, on future models, just so that any range degradation is completely hidden from view in the future at the expense of range on new cars.

Hey, perhaps Audi's idea to only allow customers to charge so much from day one isn't such a bad idea after all, reading this thread.

Last edited:
Ok charging to 100 % a lot can't be the trigger either. I have charged to 100 % probably 80 times over 5 years.
I think we really tried to every possible scenario or habit that would cause the issue but there really isn't any correlation we can find. I think at this point the only reasonable explanation is that the affected batteries have some defect that triggers the limit.
David the other possiblitiy is driving style. The S85s are 400v battery packs and it might be pulling too many amps if driven hard. It goes back to when Tesla advertised them with 600+ hp and recanted, the limited factor was the pack. Adding in 2 more packs in S but not adding any P maybe it's just too hard if you have a heavy foot.

Reactions: Chaserr
When I first noticed this thread in May and started for the first time to actively post on this forum, my assumption was I'm doing so because I'm impacted by the update and would like to see what other impacted owners would have to say. Had no idea that there are actually other members who are not impacted but for some particular reasons would be attracted to this thread as the opposition party. Opposition to what? That this sudden capacity cap is all normal and whatever Tesla does to our cars, which by the way we have purchased and own, is OK and no one can question it?

I do not have yellow screen issue. As I read that thread for information, I've never in my wildest dream been tempted to actively oppose and distract, and discredit the other owners impacted by their screens yellowing. Why should I?

I am there with you. This battery issue is major.
I do have the yellow screen issue. They have refused to fix it stating that it is normal wear and tear. They even said that it was not covered because they replaced the screen 1 1/2 years ago under warrantee when the screen leaked. They said the new one is covered by the old ones warrantee which is expired :(

David the other possiblitiy is driving style. The S85s are 400v battery packs and it might be pulling too many amps if driven hard. It goes back to when Tesla advertised them with 600+ hp and recanted, the limited factor was the pack. Adding in 2 more packs in S but not adding any P maybe it's just too hard if you have a heavy foot.
My Tesla is driven like a normal car. Medium acceleration, never speeding. I have never raced it either. The system will not allow the driver to pull more amps than it can safely provide. It throttles acceleration quickly (the yellow line) when it needs to.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
My Tesla is driven like a normal car. Medium acceleration, never speeding. I have never raced it either. The system will not allow the driver to pull more amps than it can safely provide. It throttles acceleration quickly (the yellow line) when it needs to.
The voltage limit directly lowers performance and reduces how much it can provide. It's a solid hypothesis. I drive my car above 400 wh/m every day, you don't. Everyone else please weigh in - Tesla won't supply the data but we all can.

BTW you should not be seeing the yellow line on acceleration unless it is extremely cold and your battery is frozen, or your state of charge is very low (20%?). If you're seeing it under normal summer driving conditions on a properly charged battery bring it in to be fixed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke

My driving style is pretty non-aggressive. No binary feet and since the introduction of the Chill mode the car has always been set to that. My life time wh/mi is 287. My RM loss and charging habit here.

I'm not the opposition party -- I'm just saying that some of the arguments developed would be laughed out of court.

Whether the sudden capacity cap is "normal" is open to interpretation (since everyone knows Li-Ion pack do degrade and the BMS software's choices are Tesla's responsibility) and unfortunately without any specific warranty guarantees (which don't exist for S and X, only for Model 3 but at an extremely low bar) litigation is probably not going to solve anything; plus Tesla knows exactly why there is capping and customers don't (which of course explains the very real customer satisfaction issue but puts the customers at a disadvantage in litigation, although discovery might narrow that gap).

On the contrary, it's going to make sure that Tesla will in future give as little information as they can get away with (or rather, can't, but I have personal experience of legal sticking their nodes in what can and cannot say to customers, and I can assure you the lawyers have a rather minimalistic view of what customers should know).

And also ensure that in future the small print for what constitutes unacceptable range at the end of the warranty period will be even more conservative. Who knows, Tesla might even start to "pull an Audi" and cap all cars, old and new, on future models, just so that the degradation is completely hidden from view in the future at the expense of range on new cars.

Hey, perhaps Audi's idea to only allow customers to charge so much from day one isn't such a bad idea after all, reading this thread.

Nissan Leaf customers had to sue to get satisfaction. It also forced Nissan to improve their warranty as well as give greater protection for later customers. It is possible Tesla may be forced to give us the the true details as they have not been forthcoming to affected customers.

I also believe that sometimes ground rules have to be laid out by the court system to protect customers from potential abuse. A big lessen to Tesla here is to provide better direct communication and transparency to their customers...

Last edited:
They even said that it was not covered because they replaced the screen 1 1/2 years ago under warrantee when the screen leaked. They said the new one is covered by the old ones warrantee which is expired :(

Well that is true, your screen warranty is part of the non-battery warranty so when that expires so does the warranty for your screen. Unless you screen was replaced at the end of the warranty where they normally provide 90-day to 12 months of coverage past the replacement. (I can't find anything official on how Tesla deals with warranty repairs at the end of the warranty.)

Not publishing the accurate MPG numbers, Tesla is does the same with their CPO car sales knowing the batteries have been degraded and the car no longer gets the range as advertised

Which is why they clearly disclose that the range number is the EPA range for new vehicles and vehicle range depends on battery age and condition.

upload_2019-8-13_16-39-2.png

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and jepicken
To repeat some point I made weeks ago and to further the case that we are not dealing with degradation but battery capping at the top:

I get great REGEN even at 100% indicated range which would be in violation of the BMS in previous software and make the battery go bad quickly.

(Tesla went the Audi Etron route)

Attachments

• IMG_9594.jpg
    IMG_9594.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 61
  1. That picture doesn't show regen at 100%.
  2. Maybe that is a bug in the BMS that Tesla will fix.
i GET some REGEN at 100 percent..mentioned that in the past and so did others...It's not a bug, it is a byproduct of battery having be capped off at the top. I would not think Tesla is crazy enough to induce a bug that would put Regen current into a truly 100 percent charged battery.

My Bolt for example has a mode called Hilltop Reserve that never tops the battery off so you get Regen immediately after charging.

Last edited: