Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how come this isn't mainstream news yet? This seems like it could be devastating for Tesla. Why aren't the shorts using this to bring down TSLA? I don't even think I've seen it mentioned in the investment thread.
Because Tesla keeps saying things like "a small number of owners of older teslas may be affected by a slight loss in range" and things like that.
They are experts at media spin.
I am waiting for all the participants in the class action to get gag orders any day now.
And for the record, I am one of the hardest hit ones in this and I AM going to join the class action. My patience has finally worn out with Tesla.

Last edited:
So how come this isn't mainstream news yet? This seems like it could be devastating for Tesla. Why aren't the shorts using this to bring down TSLA? I don't even think I've seen it mentioned in the investment thread.

It has been back in August when the lawsuit was filed.
I am not a TSLA investor, but a coworker is and let me know.

Unless your affected by it I don’t think a lot of people care yet it was news for a little while after June but has gone quiet.

I hate to say it but this may take another vehicle fire or someone on the Tesla board to leak info or the pending suit to get attention.

Maybe someone should tweet Trump about it :)
lol He would give them the Capitalism award. :D

I see the Tesla apologists and unaffected trolls are still trying to take over this thread with misinformation...

We need a hide posts from button.
I also see some Tesla employees are making up yet another BS line about being 'randomly selected for a test'.

Someone PM me when there is REAL news. I want my STOLEN range and charge rate back. Thanks.
(Waits for the normal suspects to show themselves with the Disagree button)
They either work for tesla in which case they are lame as if it happened to them personally they would surely be pissed or they are so high on tesla their head is up teslas butt which is also lame.

I charged to 100% (well 99.2%) last night.
This morning during a drive I noticed the reduced regen. ScanMyTesla showed limited to 25kW until 95% SOC.
This felt like coasting in neutral. I couldn't get my g‐monitor app to work to see if there is anything measurable.
Once I got down to 95% regen went back to 50kW and "normal" deceleration.

So they are essentially preventing you from charging beyond 4.09 volts (i.e. 100%) by rolling downhill.

Look, I have banked my retirement investment in Tesla stock, I don't want anything to affect Tesla in a FUD negative way. But I do want Tesla and any other company to treat it's customers fairly. Sadly, it seems that a lawsuit in this case is required to do that.

I speak for myself, and maybe other feel the same, but I just want them to replace our defective capped and slow charging batteries. No big news, no drama, no fanfare. Just help us as they should. Nothing is perfect, Tesla isn't either.

So some mistake has been made. Inform us, then fix the mistake, then make us feel confident that we can trust that they will do what is honorable going forward. Somewhere within the top of the company there has to be someone that can see the powerful value of pleasing the customer... oh and doing the right thing!

Look, I have banked my retirement investment in Tesla stock, I don't want anything to affect Tesla in a FUD negative way. But I do want Tesla and any other company to treat it's customers fairly. Sadly, it seems that a lawsuit in this case is required to do that.

I speak for myself, and maybe other feel the same, but I just want them to replace our defective capped and slow charging batteries. No big news, no drama, no fanfare. Just help us as they should. Nothing is perfect, Tesla isn't either.

So some mistake has been made. Inform us, then fix the mistake, then make us feel confident that we can trust that they will do what is honorable going forward. Somewhere within the top of the company there has to be someone that can see the powerful value of pleasing the customer... oh and doing the right thing!
i do too....but they likely wont see them replace them as thats admitting issues and problems. Too bad.

I think my paraphrasing was pretty darn accurate but if you want to see the quote it is

Compare the bolded portion to my quote
"Doing this at a central refurbishment facility is maybe possible if they have thousands of modules to choose from with their "fingerprints", so to speak, databased. "

Which is pretty much exactly what I suggested, BECAUSE I read wk057's posts, every one, very carefully, since even circumspect he is the best source of technical information we have on this.

If he has worked with 2000 salvaged modules which is only around 125 packs, Tesla is going to have a whole lot more to deal with. They have greater experience, depth of expertise, vastly more data and resources to figure out how best to analyze and categorize each module.

If they haven't already been intensively studying reclaimed packs, modules and batteries something is going very seriously wrong there.

They can spin the few bad packs pretty easily and the positive PR that they are doing the right thing by their warranty.

The negative PR from this is only going to get worse

This, exactly this, is why for now I still assume they will (have to) turn around before this gets to (a) court.

Yes we all see that their actions until now suggest otherwise but we can also assume that's typical decentralized knee-jerk reaction. I find it immensely difficult to believe that a company that manages to put so many great cards on the road does not and will not realise on their own the 'hard' reality that @DJRas just sketched.

If they don't, and especially if they don't because they (believe they) cannot afford the costs of honouring our warranties, then we're in very deep trouble. As owners to start with, even worse as investors.

If they don't, and especially if they don't because they (believe they) cannot afford the costs of honouring our warranties, then we're in very deep trouble. As owners to start with, even worse as investors.
Ya, as an owner and a stock holder, I understand. But listening to the Tesla responses in the Electrik, Roadshow and other articles, i am disappointed. They specifically stated that "there are not that many batteries effected" and "Most owners won't notice." Well we noticed and there appears to be more than just a few of us effected.

I don’t have stock in Tesla, but I did pour a lot of my retirement savings into the car. Buying it was a big deal for me. Your view pretty much mirrored my view, initially. I understood that things sometimes go wrong. I did, indeed still do, think their intentions were good and the bad bits were just unintended consequences. Their history of dealing with such issues has, in the main, been pretty good. But not recently. There seems to be an ever increasing list of issues where they have renaged on promises (Supercharging is and always will be free), taken a stance that faults are cosmetic therefore not a Warranty Issue (orange peel paint and yellow border) and now this. Their intransigent stance, unwillingness to even discuss, their arrogance at just dismissing any and all claims on the basis that Loss of Range isn’t Covered, has done it for me.

As a Tesla owner you come to expect strangers coming up and asking the normal 5 questions. (How long, how far, how fast, how much, what happens when you run out). These are normally followed by some sort of 'is it reliable' question. My stock answer is now, the car is great, the company give a particularly good impression of being a bunch of cheats, liars and swindlers, avoid them like the plague. Having been a very vocal advocate for some years of EVs in general and Tesla in particular, it is more than a little embarrassing that all my friends now adopt the 'but I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread' approach. I now actively discourage potential buyers. If I had bought my car based on a friend’s recommendation, and then this had happened, they would be unlikely to still be my friend. I certainly don’t want that position reversed.

I do find it genuinely sad that I am having to take advice from lawyers and taking some pleasure in drafting letters to most car magazines in UK. Tesla have backed me into a corner and there seems only one way out.

Last edited:
Maybe FTC should be on the contact list to help avert this:

German prosecutors indict top VW bosses over emissions scandal

From the article:
"prosecutors said the accused should have kept investors informed. “They pursued a strategy to achieve a settlement with the U.S. authorities without disclosing all relevant information,” they said in a statement."

Can Tesla reach a settlement in this lawsuit without disclosing all relevant information to its investors?

From the article:
"prosecutors said the accused should have kept investors informed. “They pursued a strategy to achieve a settlement with the U.S. authorities without disclosing all relevant information,” they said in a statement."

Can Tesla reach a settlement in this lawsuit without disclosing all relevant information to its investors?

Not a lawyer here, but merely a humble scribe.

If the settlement were immaterial to the financial statements as a whole, then likely not. For example: The settlement affects 2% of us owners and costs about $15 million. If Tesla’s bottom line were |$600 million|, that might be construed as immaterial. I am uncertain if future costs would enter into the disclosure. That is, not capping newer models and seeing where the chips fall.