Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I guess i have been out of the loop. I see mention of NHTSB investigation or class action is this being perused? I bought this car for mainly long distance travel, haven't done too much lately with 2 little kids, however we are planning several trips coming up and won't be happy if it takes 2x as long to charge as planned.
Both are being pursued.

Thanks, I guess i have been out of the loop. I see mention of NHTSB investigation or class action is this being perused? I bought this car for mainly long distance travel, haven't done too much lately with 2 little kids, however we are planning several trips coming up and won't be happy if it takes 2x as long to charge as planned.

If you going to take the wife and two little kids on a road trip, I might suggest test trip to a nearby SC and back to see what your charging speeds are like. For many of us, the slowdown has pushed the boundaries of reasonable/practical.

So I just found this post, and don't have time to read all 433 pages. Is the main issue capped capacity and slowdown of SC speeds? I got my battery replaced one year ago, it is a 85kw pack and haven't noticed a big loss of range(however haven't gone on any long trips or done full charge). Have only supercharged 2x since then and both times were with an urban charger and only got 37/38kw each time. Are they throttling back speeds based on battery or car history? I used to use evgo quick chargers frequently before getting a charger installed in new house about the same time as new battery, so new battery only has 2 SC uses at restricted speeds. I have a trip planned next month, should I expect slower speeds as well.

Can I take this issue up with Tesla? can someone please give me a cliffnotes version of this thread.
Be glad you got it replaced when you did. Now they seem to avoid honoring the warranty anyway they can think of.

So I just found this post, and don't have time to read all 433 pages. Is the main issue capped capacity and slowdown of SC speeds? I got my battery replaced one year ago, it is a 85kw pack and haven't noticed a big loss of range(however haven't gone on any long trips or done full charge). Have only supercharged 2x since then and both times were with an urban charger and only got 37/38kw each time. Are they throttling back speeds based on battery or car history? I used to use evgo quick chargers frequently before getting a charger installed in new house about the same time as new battery, so new battery only has 2 SC uses at restricted speeds. I have a trip planned next month, should I expect slower speeds as well.

Can I take this issue up with Tesla? can someone please give me a cliffnotes version of this thread.
No one can get a straight answer from Tesla as to WHY. They act like its all made up.

Tesla told us WHY the day they released 2019.16

Tesla to update battery software following car fires

IThe why is: fires were happenning every week or two in parked cars - some parked for days without being used. Tesla identified a dangerous flaw and released 2019.19 to address it.

Unfortunately, that was an admission of guilt because they never reported the fires, their findings, or their response to the NHTSA.

Tesla can't say more now - that would only deepen the trouble they are in. They're staying quiet until the NHTSA delivers a verdict.

80254157_10159032609770828_7891652340795572224_n.jpg

DING, 200k mark. can't wait for my OBD2 adapter and diagnostic cable adapter to come in so I can see how messed up my battery pack is with my crappy range.

For many of us, the slowdown has pushed the boundaries of reasonable/practical.

yea no kidding. did a syracuse->orlando trip in august. ~1240 miles took 29 hours each way. went straight no stops other than supercharging. the reverse trip was exactly the same, 29 hours. In an ICE vehicle, that would have taken approximately 18-19 hours. It takes about 50% longer to take the Tesla because of the limited range and extremely slow supercharging rates. And if you're wondering, I only charged enough to make it to the next supercharger which I planned out to be about 120-150 miles spaced apart and I would give myself a +50 mile buffer (so charge to 170 if I need to go 120 miles) and arrived at each supercharger with about <20 miles range in order to "maximize" charge rate while "minimizing" the charge time (aka avoid charging above 80%). cruise control was mostly around 70mph, no a/c or heat on. still took FOREVER. also had to draft 18 wheelers to make it to most superchargers (it's never got the rated range before, always only getting about 60-70% of real world miles vs the displayed rated range).

my family hated me for the dreadfully slow road trip.

So after requesting another look at my battery, I received the following canned response:
“Good news! The diagnostic team has reviewed your concerns and determined that a service visit will not be necessary. Using remote data from your Model S determined -“

Afterwards i received the following email from Tesla:
“As requested, your Model S service appointment at the Richmond-Glen Allen service center has been cancelled”

I responded to Tesla’s email, or I tried to but the two email addresses did not allow for a response:
“For the record,

I did not request the cancellation. Tesla did in your text dated December 12, 2019. This a misleading statement and infers that I agreed to the cancellation, which I do not.”

I am so infuriated with them that I might sell mine and go back to an ICE, until a competitor comes to the market.

View attachment 489498

DING, 200k mark. can't wait for my OBD2 adapter and diagnostic cable adapter to come in so I can see how messed up my battery pack is with my crappy range.

yea no kidding. did a syracuse->orlando trip in august. ~1240 miles took 29 hours each way. went straight no stops other than supercharging. the reverse trip was exactly the same, 29 hours. In an ICE vehicle, that would have taken approximately 18-19 hours. It takes about 50% longer to take the Tesla because of the limited range and extremely slow supercharging rates. And if you're wondering, I only charged enough to make it to the next supercharger which I planned out to be about 120-150 miles spaced apart and I would give myself a +50 mile buffer (so charge to 170 if I need to go 120 miles) and arrived at each supercharger with about <20 miles range in order to "maximize" charge rate while "minimizing" the charge time (aka avoid charging above 80%). cruise control was mostly around 70mph, no a/c or heat on. still took FOREVER. also had to draft 18 wheelers to make it to most superchargers (it's never got the rated range before, always only getting about 60-70% of real world miles vs the displayed rated range).

my family hated me for the dreadfully slow road trip.

Two threads currently on the main page. Interesting how the fanbois keep dismissing the range losses as normal "degradation" and the slow charging rate as no big deal ...

Why I recommend AGAINST buying a Tesla
Arbitration: 90d rapid battery degradation

When they finally buy a Tesla they will learn 2 things: Teslas are better cars than they imagined, and Tesla is a worse company than they imagined.

If we are successful in forcing Tesla to have some accountability, hopefully their future ownership experiences will be only positive. The cars just keep getting better and the people they are trying to shout down are trying to stop us from making the company get better too - they want the company to get worse because they just don't know how to respond when a corporation does something wrong and the only thing they understand is blind tribal allegiance right now.

My hope is they learn how to deal with their cognitive dissonance before Tesla forces a harsh reality check malware on them.

Hi Guy -
Are you sure the expectation for the "normal/gradual" degradation (keeping in mind the capping is NOT degradation at all) was 5% per year?

According to the chart below, my car, for example, should have had 5% "normal" degradation by now. After capping my loss is 12% at this time.

View attachment 488939

upload_2019-12-18_9-56-55.png

Shouldn't that X axis be "kilometerage"??? :)

Two threads currently on the main page. Interesting how the fanbois keep dismissing the range losses as normal "degradation" and the slow charging rate as no big deal ...

Why I recommend AGAINST buying a Tesla
Arbitration: 90d rapid battery degradation

There is a political quip in the US: "a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged" and, and without getting sidetracked by the truthiness of the sentiment, I think you'll see a similar flip in the community as owners realize what is being done with their cars. There is human nature also at play here--no one wants to feel like they made a dumb decision, so its easier to deflect.