Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience as well. Supercharging (with the Nav Dest. set) and starting @40% SoC, I was pulling only 36kW till 60% SoC when the charge rate started to dip. Charged to 90%, drove home, car parked in the garage for hours and the pump is still running. The temp outside is 50F. The car is plugged in but the pump is running off the main battery (4 miles range loss already). I think with 2019.40.2.3 the charging profile is getting worse for us for sure.

Tesla does not care about the longevity of the pumps. That is the owners' problem to deal with. It's the battery replacement under warranty that they are doing their best to avoid. Whatever it takes to avoid facing the warranty issues. Caring about positive user experience/convenience is not even considered.

Sad to say it folks, but the dream was definitely short lived.

My pump is still running with range loss of, what it looks like, one mile per hour while car is garaged and plugged in. What a mess.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Chaserr
Sorry if this was posted before, but while looking at Tesla Battery diagnostics – Teslalogger Preview – EMDS, I noticed that they shared on the video their battery statistics and briefly mentioned being capped. That starts at around the 6:55 time in the video

I have Teslalogger now. I have spoken to the developer in Berlin several times now.
There is a beta of ScanMyTesla which integrates all the data together.
This should give unprecedented collection of data.

I am still trying to work through the features.
Some are still not well ported to english.
Michael Kluge (developer) is a very bright guy with some cool things coming.

Last edited:
My pump is still running with range loss of, what it looks like, one mile per hour while car is garaged and plugged in. What a mess.

The pump running this long when the temperature is 50F can't be just for the battery cooling purpose. Before I was capped, I went through the same experience and at that time Tesla was running some sort of "test" on my battery, I was told by Tesla. It can be that's what they are now doing again with 2019.40.2.3 and the "High Voltage Battery Diagnostic Improvements". Just hoping I'won't be capped even more!

Look, Tesla has been opening scores of Service Centers recently to accommodate all the new Model 3's being sold, and likely for the Model Y's coming off the line is 60-120 days. Tesla is known for problems with its manufacturing process with new models. Tesla has started to give out Uber credits for those unfortunate souls who have to have their cars serviced over several days. Uber credits are stupid, if you ask me.

Solution? Tesla takes all our crippled Model S and turns them into loaner vehicles. Loaners will receive the abuse, so it matters not that these cars have batteries that are capped or that charge slowly because they won't be used in the same fashion that we use our cars now.

Tesla offers us high blue book in cash or as a credit if we are naive enough to purchase another car from them.

Because I truly feel that these problems are not going away, no matter what happens in mediation. They can only get worse, so let Tesla deal with any future reductions in range or interminable Supercharging times or regenerative braking issues.

Is there any batterygated owner, who lives in the cold climate, who still can see the battery warming icon on the Tesla app while preheating the cabin? I don't.

No matter how long I preheat the cabin I'm unable to see the icon. This is definitely a new behavior and I'm trying to see if it only applies to the capped batteries. No regen anymore for a cold battery and no battery preheating while the cabin is being preheated. A very weird combination. You would have guessed they would have left the battery preheating alone or even make it more aggressive to alleviate the new zero-regen behavior for a cold battery.
Remember those “efficiency gains” Tesla has been talking about in recent OTAs? I have a feeling they decided it was more efficient to ditch the aggressive battery heating and associated regen gains than it is to spend a lot of energy heating the battery to enable regen. This is just a theory with no data to back it up. My 3 has no regen (or very little) when the battery is showing the snowflake.

1. A new battery pack will not solve the problem unless Tesla uses the a new battery chemistry
2. Tesla would have to make brand new battery packs with the new battery chemistry and install them
3. Tesla buys back all Model S/X that are effected at high blue book value
4. Tesla restores all mileage and charging rates to what they were before the dreaded update (still have potential fires)
5. Tesla finds a way to install 2170 cells into a Model S battery pack ( not likely)

Reactions: DJRas
Remember those “efficiency gains” Tesla has been talking about in recent OTAs? I have a feeling they decided it was more efficient to ditch the aggressive battery heating and associated regen gains than it is to spend a lot of energy heating the battery to enable regen. This is just a theory with no data to back it up. My 3 has no regen (or very little) when the battery is showing the snowflake.

I guess I am fine with that, it kinda makes sense. It would be great, however, if they bought back the dashed lines to show limited re-gen. They have disappeared from both my non-AP S and AP1 X and it kinda sucks to have to guess how your car is going to slow down (or not) when you begin driving.

1. A new battery pack will not solve the problem unless Tesla uses the a new battery chemistry
2. Tesla would have to make brand new battery packs with the new battery chemistry and install them
Do we know if the "gen 2" 18650 cells with the added silicon in the anode are being capped/throttled or just the the original 18650-based packs. Maybe that's a fix, but given there is no minimum capacity warranty on any 18650 pack (unlike the 2170-based packs), maybe not.

Don't see this happening voluntarily--not sure they can afford this and it would kill the trust in the brand. Personally, I am not looking to buy another car, I just want the one I have to work properly

4. Tesla restores all mileage and charging rates to what they were before the dreaded update (still have potential fires)
If there is an underlying safety issue (and not just trying to weasel out of warranty repair costs), I don't see this happening--first car fire where there is loss of life and the company is done.

5. Tesla finds a way to install 2170 cells into a Model S battery pack ( not likely)
If they can get the 2170 cell to fit in the old packs, this might be the most doable, but this means diverting cells away from the 3 and the Y, so they are starving their revenue.

Do we know if the "gen 2" 18650 cells with the added silicon in the anode are being capped/throttled or just the the original 18650-based packs. Maybe that's a fix, but given there is no minimum capacity warranty on any 18650 pack (unlike the 2170-based packs), maybe not.

Don't see this happening voluntarily--not sure they can afford this and it would kill the trust in the brand. Personally, I am not looking to buy another car, I just want the one I have to work properly

If there is an underlying safety issue (and not just trying to weasel out of warranty repair costs), I don't see this happening--first car fire where there is loss of life and the company is done.

If they can get the 2170 cell to fit in the old packs, this might be the most doable, but this means diverting cells away from the 3 and the Y, so they are starving their revenue.

I agree 100%. the only solution that I see is to install 2170 cells. I am not sure of the Gen 2 cells. I have not read anywhere if the Gen 2 cells are effected but it may be too early in the game for any information.

When all was working, I used to turn on the cabin preheating which would would trigger the battery preheating in winter while, and this is the important part, the car was plugged in. The power was drawn from my HPWC, not from the HV battery and with no impact on the main battery's charge. Can't do that anymore.

The car has zero regen because the battery is too cold but I can't preheat the battery to warm it up by the shore power to get the regen because they have the feature disabled. It just does not make sense.

Also, when the car was new and a year or two after, the regen was low (not zero as it's now) till the battery would warm up by driving about 5 miles or so. But, that was before the battery preheating was introduced. The battery preheating was a good feature and I can't figure out why they would disable it even when the car is plugged in !!!

Last edited:
1. A replacement battery pack MAY solve it. Remember most cars, my estimate 90%+, don’t suffer from battery capping. It’s just us, the 'small percentage'. If the issue is a dodgy battery, and I think it is, I don’t need new chemistry in my replacement pack, a replacement pack with the old chemistry that works for the 90%+ would do me just fine.

Maybe they are further limiting these batteries with even more aggressive cooling, reduced regen, no more battery preheating, and even slower charge rates because their remote diagnosis showed the first chargegate update wasn't aggressive enough to keep the battery functional through the warranty period.

You mean the Band-Aid didn't work and now our batteries are put on life support?