Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, due to Tesla's poor communication on the issue
Poor communication is Tesla's core problem. If they had come clean at the start of this year and told us something vague and honest like "we are honoring your warranties but need to finish working on something new you'll like to make this better for all of us" most of us would have accepted that, and there wouldn't be a Class Action loss or NHTSA fines incoming. We waited a considerable amount of time and gave them many chances to do the right thing, and when they did sort of respond to us it was always lies. Tesla's poor communication isn't an accident or shortcoming, this is a policy of mismanagement from somewhere very high up in the company otherwise the person responsible for creating this problem would have been fired and their replacement would have fixed everything long ago/ Maybe one of the positives that can come of all of this is a re evaluation of Tesla's communications skills causing t hem problems like this.

It's been a while but I still feel like maybe some day it will be heard:

TESLA, WE NEED TO TALK. IT ISN'T TOO LATE, STOP FIGHTING YOUR SUPPORTERS AND TRY COMMUNICATION. IT WILL WORK, I PROMISE.

To me, due to Tesla's poor communication on the issue, I don't know for sure what the actual concern with the packs is, but I am assuming it is related to the cells themselves. Therefore, in theory there would be no need to change the architecture of the pack itself. Just build new packs with updated chemistry in the cells.

I totally agree with this--if there was any group that would have dealt well with some sort of mea culpa, its this group. As to the second part, I don't think it's that simple--what cell would they use? Perhaps the gen 2 18650s are workable? Tesla has been filing patents for new NMC-based cells and is apparently using ones manufactured by LG Chem in the new Chinese market Model 3s, so maybe there is something there?

Here’s something strange...what are your thoughts? My car (2015 S 85D) is currently charged to 78%, which reads 194 rated miles.

My wife uses the car very rarely, however she created a profile for herself. I just noticed when switching the profile setting between her and mine, the rated miles increased to 244, under her profile setting. When I switched back to mine, it went back to 194...a 50 mile difference. I guess I should just use her profile...lol.

Here’s something strange...what are your thoughts? My car (2015 S 85D) is currently charged to 78%, which reads 194 rated miles.

My wife uses the car very rarely, however she created a profile for herself. I just noticed when switching the profile setting between her and mine, the rated miles increased to 244, under her profile setting. When I switched back to mine, it went back to 194...a 50 mile difference. I guess I should just use her profile...lol.

Ideal miles vs rated miles

Tesla has over $900,000,000 in warranty reserves. That would pay for more than 40,000 battery packs.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, DJ :). A warranty reserve is a liability that has been accrued (in other words, expensed for the income statement) without the outlay of cash. This reserve is an estimate (don't forget the boilerplate in Note 1 to the financial statements that says something like, "The financial statement require the use of estimates, and actual results could differ materially from these estimates.")

So, Tesla has accrued a $.9 billion liability for estimated future warranty repairs. This number will fluctuate each reporting period as new cars are sold, warranty repairs are performed, and old cars go out of warranty.

To replace our battery packs, Tesla will be spending cash. That cash will be offset by reducing the accrued warranty liability on the books; there will be no hit to the bottom line for these transactions. Then, Tesla will have to reevaluate its warranty reserve liability after it has been reduced by this putative settlement and battery replacement. That adjustment will then hit the bottom line.

Regardless, any material amount of money that Tesla has to cough up to settle these claims will only detract from other operating endeavors like manufacturing new cars.

(Apologies if I strayed too far afield!)

Does one profile use Rated and the other not?

Has anyone said they have a pre-facelift car that is not impacted by chargegate?

I've got an 85D delievered in April 2015 with 68k miles and I haven't seen any noticeable signs of supercharging limitation or range/voltage capping. I'm still on 2019.16.3 since this entire debacle has made me leery of updates, but that should be recent enough that if my pack were at risk I'd have started seeing the signs of capping.

I've got an 85D delievered in April 2015 with 68k miles and I haven't seen any noticeable signs of supercharging limitation or range/voltage capping. I'm still on 2019.16.3 since this entire debacle has made me leery of updates, but that should be recent enough that if my pack were at risk I'd have started seeing the signs of capping.
The only thing you'll have in 2019.16.3 is the potential for voltage capping (range reduction) as your battery ages.

Reduced supercharger speeds came in 2019.24. Regen capping came in 2019.40

You should take picture and video of your range and charging speed (before and after) updates.