Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t the coolant run a lot more now? I’ve noticed a high pitch whine almost constant at high SOC. I wonder if that’s the extra vampire drain.
Certainly I have seen this on many S / X cars while charging and some posts here have indicated similar after charging, but I can't believe the pumps would just keep running for hours / days / overnight with the car just sitting. I guess at high SoC's any charging at all could be set to turn on the pump. Seems somewhat undesireable.

There might be a glimmer of hope for us peasants:

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

Tesla dummied two of the modules in a 100 pack to give the replacement around 85kWh. Rated range is greater than the old 85s, (I assume because the availability is greater than the 81 1/2 kWh actually in place.)

What does a reduction in voltage to 350 mean, please?

According to the OP of the mentioned thread, the pack replacement was triggered by 2019.42.2.3 update and the "Maximum Charging Range Limited" message:

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

A question for someone who knows the design of this pack pretty well: What is the significance of 6? Looking at these graphs, it looks like bricks are most closely balanced in blocks of 6. Same in
@Zextraterrestrial 's post above.
7104 cells - 16 modules of 74 parallel cells with 6 groups in series per module-so the 6 groups in each module are balanced as you see in all the bar graphs

A question for someone who knows the design of this pack pretty well: What is the significance of 6? Looking at these graphs, it looks like bricks are most closely balanced in blocks of 6. Same in
@Zextraterrestrial 's post above.
Packs are made up that way

Cells are combined into Bricks. (roughly 65-85 Cells per Brick depending on battery size)
Bricks combine to make Modules. (Always 6 Bricks per Module)
Modules combine to make Packs. (Either 14 or 16 Modules per Pack depending on battery size)

In this case the battery has 16 Modules, each of 6 Bricks. Total of 96 Bricks, hence the 96 columns.
Each Module has 6 Bricks. Hence the grouping in 6s.

Elon is all about his stock price payday bonuses.
On two different occasions Elon has publicly stated that the stock price was "higher than we deserve". No one "all about his stock price payday" says that in public. Of course a higher share price benefits Tesla employees so in that sense I'm sure he'd prefer a higher than lower price.

@omarsultan - yeah, your pack is pretty unbalanced. It gets slightly better at 95% (or 100% since it won't charge any more). What does it look like at low SOC, as low as possible? Be careful at low SOC, though. You might find that the car shuts down early due to how imbalanced the pack is.

I still think you have a defective pack, for some reason a few of your modules are losing charge fast, and this is a hard case for the BMS to balance as it has to discharge all the other cells. Charging to 90% nightly should be plenty to get the BMS to balance the pack.

I still think that a if you perform a number of deep cycles of the pack it is likely to trigger an error which would get Tesla to replace your pack (with perhaps one of those new 350V 85kWh packs). Have you asked Tesla to check out your pack? If the pack balance is a lot worse at low SOC and you take it to the service center, you might want to bring it to them at low SOC so the pack imbalance shows up more.

Thanks for the input @Dave EV - I am working on getting it down to low SoC this week - not plugging at night - so I'll report back in a few days.

I can't believe the pumps would just keep running for hours / days / overnight with the car just sitting.
It's hard to believe but still happening. This was actually the first sign of 2019.16 caps in action. Before most people noticed the newly lowered limits there were threads asking why the pumps were running 24/7 suddenly. After the caps were noticed we thought it was used to get the battery below the cap so it wouldn't show 120% charge in the dash during your first capped drive... but it's still doing it almost a year later so there is another reason for the perpetual cooling.

Reactions: Droschke
S85 will get the same battery. If it can handle P power it will be more reliable with S power. Speculation: P85D and faster cars will get 100 kwh replacements. I don't think the 350v packs will be able to handle enough amps to make dual motor Performance power. The 75D 350v packs that were uncorked run the exact same P85 performance profile as RWD cars, so the amp draw on them was higher but they achieved similar power numbers. I think Tesla figured out a solution finally.

Hurry up and issue the recall Tesla, we know you're going to have to do it and it is better for the company if it isn't an involuntary recall.

My speculation on this is they will wait out the first round for reliability and won't issue recalls until after the Q4 earnings call. Elon is all about his stock price payday bonuses.

I don't think it does. They didn't advertise 400v batteries. They advertised 85kwh, 265 miles range, 120kW charging, and 430 horsepower. This 87kwh battery can deliver all of those things. Better than our original defective 400v batteries can, too. In fact, this is the first time they actually delivered an 85kwh battery with the claimed capacity.

They don't have to make every detail better than original, they have to make the battery at least as good as it was originally per advertised specifications. Every measurement of this 350v pack should be better than original on a P85. These are shrunk down 100 packs and those were designed for 1700 amps so the 1200 amps our P85s need at 350v should be easy.
But they DID deliver a real 85kWh battery, BUT, it was labeled a 90kWh. The 90kWh packs were about 85.8 kWh. Which means that the replacement 87kWh battery, is actually closer to the 90kWh battery, than the actual 90kWh battery was.

And I need to disagree. a 400v pack will have a longer operating life than a 350v pack of the same chemistry. That 400v pack will need to push less amps through the cells, meaning less heat, more longevity.

On two different occasions Elon has publicly stated that the stock price was "higher than we deserve". No one "all about his stock price payday" says that in public. Of course a higher share price benefits Tesla employees so in that sense I'm sure he'd prefer a higher than lower price.
You're confusing what Elon says with how the company is run.

Keeping delivery centers open until midnight to jam as many sales into the reporting quarter no matter the utter chaos it creates and the bad impression it leaves with new owners is all about the stock price.

Currently on 40.2.3 and charged for only the second time since the update.First went to 80% then to 90% - on a SuC. I’m voltage capped to 4.09 at 100% SoC.

Both images taken when AFTER charging finished and let settle for a few minutes. More or less mirror each other, with scale zoomed right in. Have a 10 to 11 mV difference, which normally is about how my battery sits when not under load.

Would you say that kind of mV difference is OK?
10 mV is good at high SOC. You usually see the biggest difference in voltages starting below 30% or so depending on how well matched your modules are in your pack. Ideally your module voltages would stay identical, meaning they are all exactly the same. Your pack is only as strong as your weakest module.

But they DID deliver a real 85kWh battery, BUT, it was labeled a 90kWh. The 90kWh packs were about 85.8 kWh. Which means that the replacement 87kWh battery, is actually closer to the 90kWh battery, than the actual 90kWh battery was.

And I need to disagree. a 400v pack will have a longer operating life than a 350v pack of the same chemistry. That 400v pack will need to push less amps through the cells, meaning less heat, more longevity.
No, it purely comes down to cell count. More cells = less stress per cell. Pack voltage doesn't matter, though it does reduce current coming out of the pack and current through module bus-bars.

One benefit of a higher voltage pack is that the BMS has a slightly easier job keeping the modules balanced since each module has fewer cells. But this also means that if you have a weak or dead cell, it affects the module it's in more since there are fewer cells in parallel.

Are they using the same chemistry?
I don't doubt it. They make one chemistry and use it in as many cars as they can to increase profitability. Making one module type increases profitability again. They can make a batterygate recall replacement on the same battery production line as a new Performance Model S, the only difference is 2 modules fewer for savings. It's what they did on the standard and LR versions before the 100 pack came along.

If you do the math, the capacity of this new battery and the miles it achieves are correct for a 14 module fraction of the normal 100 kwh pack. This is how they've decided to handle the recalls on a mass assembly line they already have. Naturally decreasing S production numbers lately means they have some overhead without impacting sales too.

No, it purely comes down to cell count. More cells = less stress per cell. Pack voltage doesn't matter, though it does reduce current coming out of the pack and current through module bus-bars.

It's worth pointing out this new 85kwh battery, if it's architected the way we assume, actually has a few MORE cells than the original.

Original 85/90 kwh battery = 7104 cells
Original 100 kwh battery = 8,256 cells
"new" 85kwh battery (14/16 of a 100kwh battery) = 7,224 cells

Keeping delivery centers open until midnight to jam as many sales into the reporting quarter no matter the utter chaos it creates and the bad impression it leaves with new owners is all about the stock price.

No doubt that is part of it, but its also helping potential owners qualify for expiring federal and state incentives.

You're confusing what Elon says with how the company is run.

It's not. It's about delivering product to customers, many who have been waiting quite a while, and trying to meet company goals, which helps prove the business is viable. That can be reflected in the stock price but is not the goal in and of itself. The world we operate in requires quarterly reports, I'm quite sure Elon would avoid those and the end of Q rush if he could. One of the many reasons he considered going private, at a price far lower than where we are now.