Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I feel like creep is safer since when I'm maneuvering at low speeds my foot is on the brake instead of the accelerator. And this is not because I'm used to automatic transmissions, all my previous cars were stick shifts.
Coming from sticks as well, my issue with creep is when the car doesn’t have enough power to get over a small bump or lip (like a garage or driveway or inching into a parking spot on a slope), which requires a slight jab of the accelerator, then when the car gets over the hump, it creeps and I have to jump to the brake.

With creep off, I can get over whatever obstacle then move slowly back to the brake without the car moving forward on its own.

Reactions: Runt8
With ICE and creep, it's effortlessly to get the car moving. Just take all your feet off and it creeps.

That's why I turned the creep off after I switched from ICE to Tesla.

Without creep, it actually takes effort to move the car. When I approach a parking spot, I would take all my feet off and the car slows down and I actually have to use the accelerator to move it to the correct spot. In my case, the "wrong" pedal would be the brake as it would stop the car from moving to a correct spot. Thus, it is really easy for me to know which pedal I am on, thanks to no creep mode.

I've done this by accident for a very brief moment by accident going 50+ nothing happened, I was thankful. It must take over one second for them to engage. Does anyone know how long you need to press to activate emergency braking and are there special conditions, speed, hold it on to keep it activated, if not how to release it? etc?
I would bet people have pressed the park button by accident to clean the windshield. Symmetry.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I would bet people have pressed the park button by accident to clean the windshield. Symmetry.
Very good grab of the facts, yes, I don't consider myself as losing my mind yet, but also have no trouble admitting to myself and consciously remember I made a mistake however brief. I know the button is exactly the same for both, albeit one is on the right and one is on the left. Looking at the button perhaps for gratification verses muscle memory of location. We love these cars(at least I do) in my world it keeps me busy and engaged even on autopilot with the process of driving. But I have noticed at times, it can get real busy. This car is not for those who do not like to engage with the car. As has been said "This car, is a thinking persons car". Not great for many.

Since one recognizes the symmetry, I assume you have personal knowledge yourself of the same act perhaps?

When the go and the woah pedal are one and the same, it takes some time to adapt.
Yes it does and especially if your using the go/whoa one pedal to solve everything. The whoa "part" is a by product to return energy to the battery, there is another pedal "the brake" which at all times is your to go to pedal to get out of situations where slowing, stopping and staying stopped are important.

This seems to be the elephant in the room here. Very different things in electric with regenerative than a gas car.

Reactions: KenC
Yes it does and especially if your using the go/whoa one pedal to solve everything. The whoa "part" is a by product to return energy to the battery, there is another pedal "the brake" which at all times is your to go to pedal to get out of situations where slowing, stopping and staying stopped are important.

This seems to be the elephant in the room here. Very different things in electric with regenerative than a gas car.
Yep, people need to retrain their brain, and it may take a few days to a week. Personally, I think those folks who used sticks may have an advantage adapting, because I used engine braking all the time, so having the regeneration kick in when off-throttle seems fairly normal to me.

I used engine braking all the time

Same here down hills, steep hills in the Sierras when I was a kid. That brake pedal you used sparingly there as well, because it was a long trip down and something had to be there by the end or you were not going to be able to stop at the bottom. Use sparingly. Very similar.

Also played a lot of Golf and believe it or not this electric thing is not much different than a golf cart gas or electric. People I know make fun these cars are huge golf carts and they almost really are. Thats why they are simple, uncomplicated system of propulsion.

Reactions: KenC
I could actually see driver error like this being worse with a Tesla, or EVs in general, due to regen and "one pedal driving". With aggressive regen people are less likely to need to press the brake when coming to a slow stop. This creates a bit of complacence when it comes to positioning your foot over the brake. Which means if you come in a bit hot and actually need the brake suddenly you're more likely to have your foot positioned over the accelerator creating the runaway panic condition that results in these accidents.

My question is why doesn't Tesla's automatic collision avoidance prevent this? It should know when you're actually about to hit something and simply stop you from doing so. I know this could create some weird issues with unusually tight parking spots, but make it a default option that people who run into those weird issues can disable if needed.
The car is designed for the human to supercede all commands as we (should) know best. If we put our foot on the accelerator, despite the sensor's information, a Tesla will assume the driver has intentions that the vehicle dare not interfere with. They are not autonomous yet, and they are not in charge.

The car is designed for the human to supercede all commands as we (should) know best. If we put our foot on the accelerator, despite the sensor's information, a Tesla will assume the driver has intentions that the vehicle dare not interfere with. They are not autonomous yet, and they are not in charge.

Exactly. Ram the object in front of you to avoid getting t-boned or reduce the impact of the car about to rear end you.

Personally I feel like creep is safer since when I'm maneuvering at low speeds my foot is on the brake instead of the accelerator

As a result of this post, I've turned back on creep, as I've noticed when parking without creep, I've a couple times had an uncomfortable sensation that I came close to accidentally pressing the accelerator when trying to stop.

I miss having no creep. But honestly, having creep on is easier in tons of situations for me. Namely, parking.

Have to do what feels right, even if I was enjoying coasting to stops without even touching the brake.

Last edited:
As a result of this post, I've turned back on creep, as I've noticed when parking without creep, I've a couple times had an uncomfortable sensation that I have that I could accidentally pressed the accelerator when trying to stop.

I miss having no creep. But honestly, having creep on is easier in tons of situations for me. Namely, parking.

Have to do what feels right, even if I was enjoying coasting to stops without even touching the brake.
Yes, I have to back up to a concrete wall to park/charge and it is at a slight incline grade. In a manual you can "feather" the clutch but in the 3 (EV's) the torque is so accelerator touch instant that it is impossible to accurately and and safely do. Would be happy with a geo fence that cut Creep off but need it to park/charge.

IMG_0786.jpeg

the torque is so accelerator touch instant that it is impossible to accurately and and safely do

It's not so much that I find it hard to modulate the accelerator...it's just that it is so different than a manual transmission (and automatic of course), where as you said, I'd be slipping the clutch gently with my foot covering the brake.

After the mentioned post, I realized that having creep makes it more consistent, and now that I am over the hill and losing my faculties, I figure I need all the help I can get!

Reactions: Sherlo
It's not so much that I find it hard to modulate the accelerator...it's just that it is so different than a manual transmission (and automatic of course), where as you said, I'd be slipping the clutch gently with my foot covering the brake.

After the mentioned post, I realized that having creep makes it more consistent, and now that I am over the hill and losing my faculties, I figure I need all the help I can get!
The problem for me is it is an incline. Let off the accelerator and it rolls forward before i can hit the brake. Hit the accelerator and it is hard to modulate from forward roll to slow reverse when you are 12" from a wall. Creep just makes it so easy to just worry about the distance and nothing else.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life