Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in New Mexico is always enjoyable. Earlier in the year it was fun to check out the construction progress in Albuquerque and while charging at the CHAdeMO to meet Polly Wog. Looking forward to charging in the future at the Supercharger on the occasional drive to OKC. Thanks to Tesla Motors, the construction crew and electricians. A special thanks to the fencing company for adding the special touch that allowed Tesla drivers to charge up sooner than later. Enjoy the Supercharger!

OT: I am anxious to drive Model X through NM and see the scenery as never before. The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta would look amazing through the front windshield. October 3 to 11 will be too early before delivery later this year, but I hopefully plan to travel through in December. Enjoy the festivities and have fun visiting Albuquerque.

Interesting that the chargers are not at the head of the parking spots. Are there many like that? Wonder why they did it that way...

Also, whatever happened to the thinner, water-cooled supercharging cables? All the pics I've seen of recently completed chargers have the standard cable.

Barry do you mean a pull in versus back in configuration? I've seen comments on the forum that pull in SC may be less likely to get ICED and I agree. A SC at the curb looks like any other parking spot (unless it is clearly marked or painted).

Barry do you mean a pull in versus back in configuration? I've seen comments on the forum that pull in SC may be less likely to get ICED and I agree. A SC at the curb looks like any other parking spot (unless it is clearly marked or painted).

It's probably due more to the difficulty in parking in the pull-throughs for the mentally challenged ICE drivers that would park in a charging sport.

Yes. I like the pull-in configuration better. The charger is much more obvious to the brain-dead.

Hooray! I can start stalking the SC for Tesla sightings! So great! The wait was agonizing!

For @Jerry33 and any others out there in search of edible food...
Just a short walk east (about 0.2 miles) there is Napoli's Coffee (3035 Menaul Blvd., opposite side of the street from the SC).

A great place to eat is Richard's Mexican Restaurant (3301 Menaul Blvd.) same side of the street as Napoli's and only 0.1 mile further on. Check their web sites for more info. I have no connection with either establishment except that I've been going to both for quite some time.

Richard's is probably the best Mexican restaurant in the City, IMHO.

Welcome to Albuquerque evertyone! So hope you enjoy your visit(s)!

To inaugurate the opening of the ABQ Super Charger I decided to perform an 80% charge test.

I started the test with 9% SOC @ 2:41pm

With the SC hitting its stride at 370 mi/hr (281A @ 369V)

And tapering down to 254 mi/hr (106A @ 393V), 80% SOC @ 3:25pm

Which give us a 09% to 80% charge in 44 minutes.

Not too shabby
wink.gif

your first picture shows 162 mi/hr and you imply it is slower charge rate than the 2nd picture which shows 370 mi/hr but the amps and volts tell a different story.

the 162 mi/hr picture says 325a and 356v which is 115.7KW

the 370 mi/hr picture says 281a and 369v which is 103.7KW

It looks like the first picture was actually charging faster and the mi/hr is hiding the true charge rate.

I believe this is because the number on the left of the charging screen is average rate not instantaneous/current charging rate and the beginning of the session starts slow and ramps up meaning the peak of the average on the left will be after the peak on the right.

Last edited:
your first picture shows 162 mi/hr and you imply it is slower charge rate than the 2nd picture which shows 370 mi/hr but the amps and volts tell a different story.

the 162 mi/hr picture says 325a and 356v which is 115.7KW

the 370 mi/hr picture says 281a and 369v which is 103.7KW

It looks like the first picture was actually charging faster and the mi/hr is hiding the true charge rate.

I believe this is because the number on the left of the charging screen is average rate not instantaneous/current charging rate and the beginning of the session starts slow and ramps up meaning the peak of the average on the left will be after the peak on the right.

Agreed. I wanted to know what the peak power I would see at the beginning of the charge cycle with 9% SOC so the Volts/Amps are what I needed.

Was test driving a used 13' S 60, and decided to see if it'll supercharge. Within 10 minutes two other guys stopped by to charge to continue their road trips. One to visit the Fremont factory coming from Kansas, the other from Arizona heading to Illinois.

Great guys, and good times. Figured I should get a photo.

IMG_1765.JPG

In case any NM residents see this page, thought I'd put in another plug for the Tesla Club of New Mexico and its regular meetups in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Next get-together is scheduled for end of this month or early November... group is trying to figure out best date now.

If you are interested in joining and attending, please visit the official site below:

Tesla Club of New Mexico: [url]http://www.meetup.com/Tesla-Club-of-New-Mexico/[/URL]

Some people. I just don't know.

What kind of person parks like this, when the entire back lot of the Applebee's is WIDE OPEN? You have a huge truck and a huge trailer, so what do you do, park diagonal, and block two supercharger spaces, and make it hard to back in to some of the others, but of course!

Presenting the latest New Mexico ICEhole, complete with trailer.
abq-ice-01.png

Given how the lot was near empty, and this ICEhole had a overlong vehicle, I can only assume this blockage was a deliberate act.
abq-ice-02.png

I noticed this as well, next to the ICEhole's truck.
abq-ice-03.png

Is Tesla Throttling My Charging at ABQ?

I've had to go down to ABQ several times in the past month, and the last two times, I've noticed I did not get expected power. My miles per hour charge rate was way under what I expected. Both times I backed into the 1A charger spot, and there were no other Teslas charging. And yet, it felt like my charge rate was about half what it should be.

Which got me thinking: are they punishing me for charging 60 miles from home? I only came down to ABQ because there is no Tesla-authorized body shop in my town, so what the heck am I supposed to do? I can't think of another explanation. Anyone?

Screen shot while charging at 1A... isn't this low power?
batery173.png

You're at roughly 66% battery here, and from my experience 110A (about 42kW) is not particularly far out of the range of "normal" current at this SOC, especially if your battery is cold. I certainly don't think Tesla is "punishing" you—I think they've got a lot bigger issues to worry about than trying to throttle locals charging at otherwise empty SC stations. :wink:

Remember that charing from 50% to 80% SOC takes about the same amount of time as charing from 0% to 50%. At <20% SOC, 350A is typical SC current for me, but it's pretty close to half that by 50% and nearly half again by 80%. Charging from 90%-100% at a SC is only a little bit faster than charging with an HPWC at 80A.

Tim,

I'm seeing the exact same thing here in Amarillo.

I was at ABQ, Santa Rosa, and Tucumcari last month and typically could get 300 amp 386v connects.

Here in Amarillo, I get 200amps if I am almost empty, and if I have 75 RM range I might get 180 amps. At the same time, non-locals here are getting 300 amps.

I am convinced throttling does exist.

I've had to go down to ABQ several times in the past month, and the last two times, I've noticed I did not get expected power. My miles per hour charge rate was way under what I expected. Both times I backed into the 1A charger spot, and there were no other Teslas charging. And yet, it felt like my charge rate was about half what it should be.

Which got me thinking: are they punishing me for charging 60 miles from home? I only came down to ABQ because there is no Tesla-authorized body shop in my town, so what the heck am I supposed to do? I can't think of another explanation. Anyone?

...non-locals here are getting 300 amps...
Could the non-locals have just finished a long drive with a warm battery? I have found when driving in cooler weather, it's best to Supercharge at the overnight destination when first arriving. If the battery is cold in the morning, the speed of Supercharging is reduced, even after a short drive for breakfast.

OT: I skipped Supercharging altogether this past weekend. $315 round trip jet transportation from SNA to OKC was too good to pass up a week before travel.

View attachment 103575

@tinm, for a 85 kWh battery, at a 120 kWh supercharger, the typical charge current with 173 rated miles is right around 150 amps, so you were definitely limited. That said, let the speculation as to why continue....

Since this thread has a bit of visibility, a quick plug for the Tesla Club of New Mexico's meetup event this Sunday Jan 17, in Albuquerque.

There should be at least one Model X to ogle over, if not two!

I'm sure the supercharger will be busy during the day as many owners from all over the state stop by for some electrons.

More details on Sunday's event at the meetup site:

http://www.meetup.com/Tesla-Club-of-New-Mexico/