Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We made it here straight from Wytheville, VA! Took the scenic route.(221) via Boone, NC.

View attachment 106141
When taking the route through Boone it is always fun to stop at Makoto's for a charge, a bite and conversation. The owner has only of the very first P85's, back before they even had badging. With >80,000 miles and four years of history, he does have good stories! It's worth the stop for sure.

I know this is an old thread, but I travel from DC through Asheville at least once a year. I have a P90DL with 22" rims, and I find the stretch between the Wytheville Supercharger and the Asheville Supercharger to be terrifying. Any ideas on reducing anxiety for that stretch without increasing trip time unreasonably?

I know this is an old thread, but I travel from DC through Asheville at least once a year. I have a P90DL with 22" rims, and I find the stretch between the Wytheville Supercharger and the Asheville Supercharger to be terrifying. Any ideas on reducing anxiety for that stretch without increasing trip time unreasonably?

Did you take 26 to 81 or 77 to 40? It's a shorter trip going I-81 instead of I-40 saves about 35 miles and a similar number of minutes (something close to 30 minutes less time as well according to google maps).

Last edited:
Just thinking about this a bit more: For those who are familiar with this route, do you think it would be sensible to go from Wytheville to Asheville with an interim stop in Kingsport, TN?

I was looking in Plugscore, and I found the following:

Kingsport Parking Garage
PlugScore:10.0

Ports

6 EV Plug (J1772)s

Address

225 West Center Street Kingsport, TN, 37660

Description

Six Level 2 EVSE. No charge or accounts required.

Photos

I talked to a Tesla tech yesterday about the reduced Supercharging speeds at Greenville, Asheville, and Charlotte. He said it's a known issue and they have a tech scheduled to repair these locations starting with Charlotte on the 6th and finishing up with Greenville on the 8th.
Anyone know if they got fixed? Only getting 60 kW right now. Went up to 118 kW for like a minute then quickly came back down...tried 2 stalls.

First time I've seen this spot full.

asheville1.jpeg

asheville2.jpeg

We'll see what happens in next years peak months for Asheville. The five Destination Chargers now present and the ten or so locations with J1772 with one or two connections each and a CHAdeMO/CCS or two are huge increases over the situation only three years ago when the Albemarle Inn and a single downtown lot were just about the only options, but...
nobody has understood how quickly all charging options become overloaded when Model 3 outsells it's obvious direct competitors combined. Even now, in early days, Model 3's everywhere I go tend to be half or more of the Tesla Supercharger populations and the public stations seem to be similarly Model 3 loaded.

This is wonderful, and Tesla keeps building 30+ urban and conventional Supercharger locations all around the world. but...there is no stated plan to increase capacity anywhere along teh Smokies. We probably need to warn Tesla that 2019 season will be a serious problem if both Superchargers and Destination Chargers do not immediately come in very large numbers.