Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have any information on how v2 expansions work? Do they literally just put v3 stations in and leave the v2?
Sometimes they add more V2 stations, though I think this has mainly been at locations where they had pre-run the underground work for the future expansion when they originally built the site. Sometimes they add new V3 stations. I don't think we've seen them totally remove the existing and replace with all new V3.

Reactions: SigNC
Anybody have any information on how v2 expansions work? Do they literally just put v3 stations in and leave the v2?

Sometimes they add more V2 stations, though I think this has mainly been at locations where they had pre-run the underground work for the future expansion when they originally built the site. Sometimes they add new V3 stations. I don't think we've seen them totally remove the existing and replace with all new V3.
In Bolingbrook, IL where they expanded they have 8 v2 (150 kW) and 8 v3 (250 kW). ("V3 as the charge cabinets with the vents a the top")

Tesla added eight V3 stalls and removed the four V2 stalls in Lone Pine, CA.

Reactions: mociaf9
Wish they would do something to flag the v3s for people that aren't really supercharger educated to know these are the first ones you should use if you are in a hurry.
It really depends what SOC they are starting to charge at and how high they plan on going to. There is not a dramatic difference once you are past 50% SOC.

zka9ty9tnnk21.jpg

Reactions: mikes_fsd
It really depends what SOC they are starting to charge at and how high they plan on going to. There is not a dramatic difference once you are past 50% SOC.

zka9ty9tnnk21.jpg
I agree, and even that chart exaggerates the impact to me. I was in the 140s up to 38% on one of my V2 sessions. I didn't drop below 100kw until 56% and below 50kw until a little after 80%. In practice, these segments were really close to my typical V3 curve. It is really only the first 40% where it matters, when there isn't sharing involved.

Hitting v3 speeds below 40% is really nice, though.

Reactions: scottf200
No it's not but there is a pretty damn big difference 11% to 50%. You can get there in under 10 minutes with a warmed battery on v3 which is run inside and grab a drink and go speeds. Also, I mostly meant that people can load up a v3 side by side vs v2 spacing. The general public has no idea about any of that.

Also, that chart is a bit dated. I was doing 169kW at 44% in archdale last week, conversely the v2 is now faster than the chart says as well.

Reactions: mechrock and jsight
No it's not but there is a pretty damn big difference 11% to 50%. You can get there in under 10 minutes with a warmed battery on v3 which is run inside and grab a drink and go speeds. Also, I mostly meant that people can load up a v3 side by side vs v2 spacing. The general public has no idea about any of that.

Also, that chart is a bit dated. I was doing 169kW at 44% in archdale last week, conversely the v2 is now faster than the chart says as well.
Really good point about most folks not knowing this stuff. Tesla doesn't train buyers at all these days, so the real world difference is significant. That's even more true since Asheville is likely to be really busy for most of the summer, so there will likely be a lot of times when stall sharing is necessary.

Really good point about most folks not knowing this stuff. Tesla doesn't train buyers at all these days, so the real world difference is significant. That's even more true since Asheville is likely to be really busy for most of the summer, so there will likely be a lot of times when stall sharing is necessary.
Seems like it would be an easy thing to add to the on route battery warming notification. "on route battery warming activated for v2 charger, do not share A/B stalls unless required"

Does anyone know if the 4 new v3 chargers are active yet? Planning to pass through Asheville mid-day tomorrow, and I'm trying to decide whether I should go north instead, to avoid a long wait for these chargers.
Below from a FB post yesterday and note that you can look in your car for the same screen. Click on the map anywhere and click the supercharger icon (lightning bolt) then drill down to that one. Likely you knew this. Below 12 stalls and 10 in use as I read it.
PPf5pEn.jpg

Does anyone know if the 4 new v3 chargers are active yet? Planning to pass through Asheville mid-day tomorrow, and I'm trying to decide whether I should go north instead, to avoid a long wait for these chargers.

Below from a FB post yesterday and note that you can look in your car for the same screen. Click on the map anywhere and click the supercharger icon (lightning bolt) then drill down to that one. Likely you knew this. Below 12 stalls and 10 in use as I read it.
Well heck ... for clarity, my tip of looking at the screen in your car only appears to work if you are checking out SuC that are within ~200 miles! And it appears you are over that. Sorry.

Well heck ... for clarity, my tip of looking at the screen in your car only appears to work if you are checking out SuC that are within ~200 miles! And it appears you are over that. Sorry.
May not apply here... but wish Tesla would extend that info 400-500 miles. West coast trips have SpC's more scarce and it helps when planning a trip at the moment. You can decide to go a different route, cuz once you have committed, you usually have no choice to divert.

Reactions: scottf200 and JDERB
May not apply here... but wish Tesla would extend that info 400-500 miles. West coast trips have SpC's more scarce and it helps when planning a trip at the moment. You can decide to go a different route, cuz once you have committed, you usually have no choice to divert.
Disagree, planning like that is not practical on the Tesla app.

The app shows you only locations that you can reach on your current charge. (checking the app, it seems it only shows the closest 4 stations)...
Plus tapping on a station in that list automatically sends it to your cars navigation and starts a route to that station.

You may be interested in this instead: Go Anywhere | Tesla