Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A60A79BF-5E14-40F8-A297-D622AF776413.jpeg
BB0D6B86-ECE2-4525-9CA0-4C331FA05064.jpeg
B3632590-4000-41FE-91AC-3777892016E4.jpeg

I'm guessing the grey box (under the tarp in the latest pictures) is another transformer. Maybe the NB Power transformer (big green one) steps the feeder voltage down to 600V and the small one steps 600V down to 480V -- would that make sense? In any case, it looks like we're a few days from the first Atlantic Canada supercharger going live!

Question from all you frequent Atlantic Provinces travelers. I am going to PEI next week and I will be stopping in Riviere-du-Loup ("RDL"). staying the night there and leaving for Charlottetown in the morning from the SC there. The map shows 721Km to Charlottetown; where would be the best places to charge to make that trip in one day? is that even possible without SC's. Do not think Aulac will be open by then.

I will be leaving the RDL SC by 7am so I am hoping to be in Charlottetown by 5pm - including charging. Anyone suggest the best places to stop - I do have a CheDeMo adapter. Would it be better to do two smaller length charges as opposed to one longer in between location charge? I was thinking a stop in Woodstock, then one in Fredericton?

I have a Model S 90D.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Question from all you frequent Atlantic Provinces travelers. I am going to PEI next week and I will be stopping in Riviere-du-Loup ("RDL"). staying the night there and leaving for Charlottetown in the morning from the SC there. The map shows 721Km to Charlottetown; where would be the best places to charge to make that trip in one day? is that even possible without SC's. Do not think Aulac will be open by then.

I will be leaving the RDL SC by 7am so I am hoping to be in Charlottetown by 5pm - including charging. Anyone suggest the best places to stop - I do have a CheDeMo adapter. Would it be better to do two smaller length charges as opposed to one longer in between location charge? I was thinking a stop in Woodstock, then one in Fredericton?

I have a Model S 90D.

Personally I would do Woodstock then Salisbury Big stop then you’d have a straight easy shot to PEI ... you could likely get all the way there from Lincoln (Fredericton) but that stop is only an hour after Woodstock and your other option is to do Woodstock and young’s cove (this location has one small restaurant)then PEI depends on your driving habits I’d say feel free to call my cell if you want to discuss 506381 8337

I have a Model S 90D.

I drove Montreal to Moncton on Sunday with a 75D. We had high hopes to get right to charlottetown in one day but the bike rack and bike added significant consumption it seems.

You're not going to have any issue with RDL to Charlottetown in a 90. Enjoy the drive and let me know if you need somewhere to charge on PEI!!

Reactions: MarcoRP and Vawlkus

I have a Model S 90D.

Since you can SC in RDL, if it's not too late for your comfort, I'd recommend grabbing a quick charge there and then heading on. There are plenty of places to get an overnight charge further towards your destination.

Reactions: rypalmer
  • Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP

I have a Model S 90D.

I'm not a huge fan of the Young's Cove CHAdeMo stop (small restaurant with very little seating). Woodstock, Fredericton and Salisbury have better options for food. That said, if you are just going to catch some zzz's in the car all of them are great.

• Funny
Reactions: rypalmer

I have a Model S 90D.

If at all possible, do not stay in R-du-L. Charge there, then push on another few hundred km, and stay somewhere overnight with a slow charger. Quality Inn Grand Falls is one option.
10039 Route 144,
Grand Falls, NB, E3Y 3H5

That gets you ~177km closer and the overnight charge doesn't add to your drive time at all.

I have a Model S 90D.

Absolutely this trip is doable. According to A Better Route Planner, taking the Plaster Rock road, you'd have a 43 minute charge at St André, then a 1 hour charge at Richibucto. A few weeks ago we did a similar trip but stopped at Kouchibouguac National Park. The drive across Plaster Rock road was fine and there's a Chademo charger in Miramichi if you think you need it as you pass by there.

You could also go via Fredericton. The total time would be about 15 minutes more and you'd need 3 charging stops instead of 2, but the roads are better and there are more backup charging options along that route.

I'd suggest using abetterrouteplanner.com to plan the trip. Just make sure to turn on the Chademo charger option.

As for more charging stops vs. longer stops, two stops would be better than one since the charge rate drops once you get to about 85%. Making two stops means you can charge just enough to get to your next stop (plus a safety margin) rather than to charge to full.

Have a great trip!

Hi everyone!

I’ve been following this closely as we’re making a road trip out to Charlottetown this weekend with our Model 3 from Ontario. We can get as far as Bangor, ME on Superchargers and are going to use Level 2 chargers from there.

Has anyone done that drive with the LR Model 3? The car says it should have enough range to go directly from Bangor to Charlottetown, but it is 587km which is well over the car’s rated max of 499km.

Any tips or advice on the drive would be great!

Hi everyone!

I’ve been following this closely as we’re making a road trip out to Charlottetown this weekend with our Model 3 from Ontario. We can get as far as Bangor, ME on Superchargers and are going to use Level 2 chargers from there.

Has anyone done that drive with the LR Model 3? The car says it should have enough range to go directly from Bangor to Charlottetown, but it is 587km which is well over the car’s rated max of 499km.

Not sure what's going on there, but the car is wrong!

You won't be going 587km in one shot without some serious hypermiling, and I'm talking like going 50kph the entire way or something.

Unless you have some reason to go to the States, I would recommend the more northerly route through RDL which keeps you in Canada the whole way. (I'm assuming you are driving from Milton, ON to PEI.) Border crossings are rarely enjoyable and can add time to your trip. Going through RDL, you are in the same boat as Sisko, so you can take all the adivce given to him in this thread. You will need to slow charge for a few hours in some place like Woodstock or Fredericton, so you can either plan that as an overnight stop or plan it as a long lunch/dinner stop.

Hi everyone!

I just did something similar to that trip in a Model S90D. There's no way you'll make it in one shot in a LR Model 3 - it's 363 miles. There are decent Level 2 charging options along the way. We stopped in St John, NB - there's a couple of garages with J1772 chargers in the vicinity of the New Brunswick Museum with decent restaurants within walking distance on the waterfront.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Use Plugshare to check out other chargers along the route. [We had a CHAdeMO adapter, so we were able to use the higher speed chargers, but they all had J1772 chargers adjacent.]