Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you [tylerwhite] are in the same boat as Sisko, so you can take all the adivce given to him in this thread.

I agree with most of your comments, but Sisko has access to CHAdeMO, so some of the advice for him might not apply to someone in a Model 3.

Since his onboard charger is limited to 48A, going through the USA is going to be fastest if attempting the trip in one shot. It's because after the Brewer Supercharger a lot of the route is on roads with slower speed limits and less hilly terrain than when your last Supercharge is at Riviere-du-Loup.

If you spend the night in Grand Falls (and the sole hotel J1772 is not taken by a Bolt) abetterrouteplanner says you have to drive 80 km/hr to make Charlottetown. Let's say you plan to recharge one hour in Moncton. You still probably can only drive 90 kph - 100 kph on a road where the posted limit is 110 kph.

I would suggest Milton through Maine to somewhere in SW New Brunswick for the night. Then you can probably do 400 km 450 km on one charge to Charlottetown.

(All comments based on Aulac not being open)

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I would suggest Milton through Maine to somewhere in SW New Brunswick for the night. Then you can probably do 400 km 450 km on one charge to Charlottetown.
If he wants to overnight somewhere, we stopped in Sussex, NB at the Amsterdam Hotel which has a Sun Country charger. It's a nice little town with lots of murals - the downtown is walkable from the hotel and there's a nice ice-cream parlor/coffee shop/cafe called Knocks at the Arts and Culture Center of Sussex.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
See this is what I absolutely love about the Tesla community. I think this is great community help. You are all awesome. Thanks for the tips.

I have printed out the various suggetsions and going to look at them over "plugshare map" and google map for routing.

Also, Tylerwhite from Milton; maybe I will see you at a SC stop along the way. I am going to stay within Canada. I agree with "Plus EV" to stay in Canada; do not want the hassle of the border crossing. Never know if you are going to get some EV hating, climate denying, GI Joe wannabe USA border guard, who carries a picture of trump in his pocket. No thanks. I do not need any reason to vomit in my car.

I think the model 3 LR with 499Km (actually with average driving - could get over 500Km) will be able to go just as far, if not further than me in my 90D. Now ryan alluded to doing the run in a 75D and carrying load ontop and could make it. I have read his entries over the years and Ryan travels out that way often. Thanks Ryan, I am going to be using the SC in R-D-L as that is where I am staying overnight makes sens to leave that SC with 95% SOC. By charging to 95% on a warm battery; I still get full regen even from that SOC.

Looking forward to the drive, taking my daughter on her first long distance road trip. I do not want to fly as you do not get to see and interact with this wonderful country from the air. Leaving this weekend, much like Tylerwhite; but I am stopping in Ottawa to visit friends and Montreal to visit friends.

Thanks again to all of you who gave some great advise. Have a great weekend, see you at a SC near you.

Reactions: KrisS and rypalmer
Even without access to Chademo chargers, Canada has a lot of reliable, well-spaced, high amperage L2 chargers in my experience. I have driven through NB briefly and while I didn't have to use any of them, I recall researching a lot of L2 chargers on plugshare and was impressed with what appeared to be a pretty decent network. I didn't realise the Model 3 was limited to 48 amps though. That does change things a bit.

And yes, I agree with Sisko's reasoning for avoiding border crossings when possible. I've been dicked around by the American BP guys about 5x as often as Canadian, but I have been hassled by the Canadians on occasion as well. They searched my car but didn't know about the frunk lol. Not that I was hiding anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of people snooping through my computer or whatever, so that's where I put it.

I have printed out the various suggetsions and going to look at them over "plugshare map" and google map for routing.
EV Trip Optimizer can help suggest when to charge and when to overnight. ‎EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla on the App Store
On a trip in Western NA Model 3 made 563km.
teslaroadtrip.blog on Twitter
@tesla3roadtrip: We are home after 31 days on the road, 6,461 miles, 10 Western US States, 2 Canadian Provinces, 215 Wh/mi (range ave. ~350 miles), great meetups, zero emissions & zero problems. Model 3 exceeded expectations along all fronts. It is a game changer.@ASUgreen @RockyMtnInst @Tesla teslaroadtrip.blog on Twitter

Even without access to Chademo chargers, Canada has a lot of reliable, well-spaced, high amperage L2 chargers in my experience. I have driven through NB briefly and while I didn't have to use any of them, I recall researching a lot of L2 chargers on plugshare and was impressed with what appeared to be a pretty decent network. I didn't realise the Model 3 was limited to 48 amps though. That does change things a bit.

And yes, I agree with Sisko's reasoning for avoiding border crossings when possible. I've been dicked around by the American BP guys about 5x as often as Canadian, but I have been hassled by the Canadians on occasion as well. They searched my car but didn't know about the frunk lol. Not that I was hiding anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of people snooping through my computer or whatever, so that's where I put it.

It probably helps _a lot_ that we have Maine plates, but we've never had a problem with BP. It's just extra time waiting in line.

Glad to see that NB is getting some SC’s. We are planning a trip from Marquette, MI to the Cabot Trail in 3 weeks. Crossing the boarder at Sault Saint Marie and staying in Canada looks like a good option. After the week of golf we plan on taking the ferry from Yarmouth to Portland. Have not made any reservations except the week of golf. Any advice on the route from any of you that have made this trip would be appreciated. Making the trip in a Model S P100D.

Reactions: JSergeant
Glad to see that NB is getting some SC’s. We are planning a trip from Marquette, MI to the Cabot Trail in 3 weeks. Crossing the boarder at Sault Saint Marie and staying in Canada looks like a good option. After the week of golf we plan on taking the ferry from Yarmouth to Portland. Have not made any reservations except the week of golf. Any advice on the route from any of you that have made this trip would be appreciated. Making the trip in a Model S P100D.
Do you have a CHAdeMO adapter? That will make traveling in NB and Nova Scotia much easier. Failing that, the dual charger or 72 amp charger will also help a lot - I upgraded mine specifically for a recent trip to this area. I spent 2 weeks in Nova Scotia and some time traveling through NB and visiting PEI. I will try to write up my trip notes in the next few days and share it.

Although I'm happy to read about all the visitors coming to beautiful Atlantic Canada this summer in your Tesla's, this thread is straying. When is Aulac going to open? :) I'll be there Saturday and so want to Supercharge!

PS. If I see you in a P100D I'll be asking for a drive. Never experienced Ludicrous...or Insane mode for that matter :(. Itching to feel what its like.

More OT, but as a further aside, for future reference:
Portland envisions its waterfront without Nova Scotia ferry service
The operator plans to eliminate the Portland, ME - Yarmouth, NS ferry and return to Bar Harbor, ME - Yarmouth, NS instead. Probably a sensible move for them, but not so good for people who use it to reduce the hours of driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: What_Was_That?
Do you have a CHAdeMO adapter? That will make traveling in NB and Nova Scotia much easier. Failing that, the dual charger or 72 amp charger will also help a lot - I upgraded mine specifically for a recent trip to this area. I spent 2 weeks in Nova Scotia and some time traveling through NB and visiting PEI. I will try to write up my trip notes in the next few days and share it.
Yes I have a CHAdeMO adapter but have never used it. Thanks in advance for sharing your trip notes.

I really hope NB power comes and activates the chargers in the next week or so. That is when all the tourists are there!
It seems like they already got their transformer. I suspect Tesla commissioning will take longer given the location. If anyone from Tesla is reading this - I'd happily volunteer my vehicle to help test the station. I can be there in an hour.

Although I'm happy to read about all the visitors coming to beautiful Atlantic Canada this summer in your Tesla's, this thread is straying. When is Aulac going to open? :) I'll be there Saturday and so want to Supercharge!

PS. If I see you in a P100D I'll be asking for a drive. Never experienced Ludicrous...or Insane mode for that matter :(. Itching to feel what its like.
Guess with the speed limits in Canada Ludicrous may not get used! Hope Aulac opens soon or may be driving even slower that the posted speeds! Have to admit that car has never been LAUNCHED!. Hope you can charge in Aulac this weekend.

Reactions: comeaujo
At Aulac now. Tesla employees on site along with NB power employees. They said that Wednesday is the go live day.

Attachments

• 15332340574231401182999.jpg
    15332340574231401182999.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 81