Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For future trips, would it be too risky to go from Primm to Rancho Cucamonga in a S60D? It'll be approximately 185 mi.

Way too risky, I charged close to full at Primm, I checked my estimate to Rancho Cucamonga while I wait to get charge at Barstow, the estimate to reach there is 1% left. Due to weather (cold and wind), I will not make it there if I didn't get a charge at Barstow. 85 should be okay, 70 is also dangerous

Agreed. Baker and Victorville are 2 much needed SC locations. We drive between Lancaster and Vegas about 40 times a year.
Strange, the Tesla 2017 map does NOT show any additional SCs between LA and LV. I'd say both locations are absolutely needed, as well as upgrades to at least 10-, maybe 12-stalls at Barstow. They should also plan on 12-stalls at Baker (140 mi from Rancho Cucamonga so should be easy to skip Barstow if that one is full).

Agreed. Baker and Victorville are 2 much needed SC locations. We drive between Lancaster and Vegas about 40 times a year.
This would do it. Rancho Cucamonga to Baker would be easy. Victorville to Primm would be easy, or any variation of those. Needs to happen. Tesla got burned with the Tejon fiasco last year. They can't let Barstow show them up again

It's so odd. I drive through Barstow a lot and never ever in almost 3 years have I had to wait. Just a few days before Christmas I was there at 7:30 pm and I was the only one! And then there are the crazy busy days where 21 cars line up. Being an early adopter I'm more forgiving. But I know If I had being at the end of that 21 car line with my family on a trip, they would have refused to ever take the Tesla on any more road trips and hated it for the rest of their lives. The general public doesn't put up with this.

I honestly don't understand Tesla here. Once you have a site lined up and permits and all, why only 6 or 8 stalls? The cost of adding more stalls is small compared to the total cost of the entire site installation (start to finish). Even if the power is limited. It's still better to have 20 cars charging at 50 kW than 8 cars charging at full power. There is nothing worse than waiting in line.

If Tesla keeps the current pace up in installing Superchargers, they are going to be totally screwed as soon as the Model 3 hits the road.

2:00 pm 12/28/16 update. 2 of the 8 stalls open on a very busy travel day. Linwood Road area of Barstow is packed with people returning to LA from Christmas in Vegas. Only one of the two stalls was charging at an acceptable rate based on the amount of cars charging. The Barstow SC definitely needs an overhaul.