Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a trip to Virgina and back in my S-60 and they were upgrading the location last week. When I went last night...there was a new object. Looks like a UPS for the super chargers. Is this for storing off peak so Tesla doesn't get dinged with tiered pricing during the day? 2000 amps at 480V, looks like it could support all chargers working at the same time...just don't know how many charges this this stores...looks very big.

Any ideas...
UPSFront.JPG
UPSfrontLab.JPG
UPSrear.JPG

There has been a lot of exciting Tesla news lately, and Barstow did get expanded nicely, and now has battery storage energy ballancing as well.
ANY news on what is happening with the two huge concrete Footing Pads? Any Solar Canopy yet?

There has been a lot of exciting Tesla news lately, and Barstow did get expanded nicely, and now has battery storage energy ballancing as well.
ANY news on what is happening with the two huge concrete Footing Pads? Any Solar Canopy yet?

I was at Barstow SC on Tues, Oct 7, and Sat, Oct 18. No progress on canopy or even construction evidence, and portable 4 SC have been removed. Canopy piers in photo. With cooler, windy weather, less solar potential, perhaps a delay until Spring ?

BarstowSC-pier.jpg

I am curious at what the wait times (if any) there are now after this expansion, particularly on a Friday and Sunday, when the I-15 is swarmed. The old SpC's were slow and too few, and the waits were awful at peak times. Now they are fast and double the number of what they were. Of course, this will improve further once Primm is up.

So, if you made the drive this weekend or last, please provide us with a wait-time report.

Hello Barstowian Chargers! Now that Primm (with new fancy LED street lamps) is up and running, how is the throughput? Do you notice an improved charging experience with the new battery banks? Getting full rapid charges on all 8 positions all the time? Ever have to wait for an open spot?
Wait for it... And of course, any news on those two huge footings?

One good indication that a particular Tesla Supercharging Site is going to have solar soon is the bi-directional battery packs on site. I'm really glad to see this solar canopy being constructed now! It will make for cooler parking spots to supercharge, out from under the direct hot summer sun. I'm sure those charging stalls will be the first spots taken on hot days!

I'm constantly reminded of Tesla's focus. Co2 reduction. Tesla really is a technology company.

Please post more pictures if you stop to supercharge at Barstow CA. It's a great way for all of us to see the progress being made/remade at this location.

Finally!!! the beautiful cantilevered solar canopy arrives! This is the design just as we expected based on the very large footings with all those huge bolts.
Can't wait to hear a first hand report of how it "sounds" during a high wind storm. Looks very elegant. More photos please!

I'm going to speculate that electric service in Barstow is crazy-expensive. That has to be the #1 factor in going solar; #2 being that Barstow simply gets oodles of sun year-round!

I visited Barstow over the last holiday (MLK Day) weekend, on my first Las Vegas-SoCal trip since Primm opened. Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon visits, and neither entailed a wait, a pleasant change. That's a sample size of one of course, but it does look like the availability of Primm and Rancho Cucamonga has, as expected, relieved some of the pressure on poor Barstow. Of course, this wasn't a major tourist holiday like Memorial Day, nor really "high season" for that trip on I-15. But it looks promising!

I never had more than a five-minute wait at Barstow, but when the sun's beating down and it's about 105°, every flaming minute counts.

Coming in to Barstow northbound with about 30 miles of range left, I needed only about 20 minutes' charging time to comfortably make Primm. (Went into Chili's and ordered dessert, the timing was just right. I recommend the "skillet cookie." Mmmmmmm...)