Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! Those are beefy pads! Thank you!

Anyone there or going there.... photos of the footings, the entire site from a distance, pad photos for potential battery storage, temp supercharger pedestals {are they still there and operational once the 8 new pedestals are online?}. I'm out of the area but I am willing to get photos by late next week if we don't have any by then.

All of the superchargers are open as of today according to another member who claims to be the 1st to supercharge at the improved Barstow superchargers.
Report from Plugshare, about 1pm today, Thursday:

stopping today on way home we found two temporary stations down, and the 7 new stations were being provisioned by a nice knowledgeable and friendly Tesla employee. he pointed out the supports in place for the coming solar overhead that will be installed, and also noted a new equipment and energy storage service that is being installed which will help with energy delivery during peak heavy demand and store extra energy during off peak times. Good stuff from Tesla! finally, when charging with other cars, try to select your own number (stations are ,1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc) A&B; use same super charger, so charging at one car per number will give best charge rate.

Currently charging at the new stations. 12 stations in total! Got peak 90kwh on my 60ms. Took a video too :)
Instagram

4 are those temporary ones that arr placed/moved by forklift. I doubt they are staying there much longer once the eight permanent ones are fully operational. Maybe they are there until all the install is done including solar and battery storage system.

Wow, that was a fast rollercoaster of a video - but really cool - thanks. Moving along pausing frame by frame, it's possible to see the two footings/pads with 8 heavy bolts each. These have not been seen at any other SC location I know of, so curiosity is really killing me.
The 5'x8' pad with three yellow posts was where some of us thought the stationary battery might go, but a new big green Utility Distribution Transformer can now be seen there.
So the mystery remains; how will the big footings be used, and where will the stationary battery go?

IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5310.jpg
IMG_5311.jpg
IMG_5314.PNG

All stalls open, as were the innards of the SuperCharger, so I snaked some pics on Thursday :)

Wow, that was a fast rollercoaster of a video - but really cool - thanks. Moving along pausing frame by frame, it's possible to see the two footings/pads with 8 heavy bolts each. These have not been seen at any other SC location I know of, so curiosity is really killing me.
The 5'x8' pad with three yellow posts was where some of us thought the stationary battery might go, but a new big green Utility Distribution Transformer can now be seen there.
So the mystery remains; how will the big footings be used, and where will the stationary battery go?

This would appear to be the answer:

Report from Plugshare, about 1pm today, Thursday:

stopping today on way home we found two temporary stations down, and the 7 new stations were being provisioned by a nice knowledgeable and friendly Tesla employee. he pointed out the supports in place for the coming solar overhead that will be installed, and also noted a new equipment and energy storage service that is being installed which will help with energy delivery during peak heavy demand and store extra energy during off peak times. Good stuff from Tesla! finally, when charging with other cars, try to select your own number (stations are ,1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc) A&B; use same super charger, so charging at one car per number will give best charge rate.

These two broad footing/pads have eight 1-1/2" bolts each. Very beefy. This unique design has not been seen at any other SC location I know of. They look very different than the Solar Canopy mounts of Tejon Ranch (3 Rear, 5 Front) and Hawthorn (Originally 2 Rear, 3 Front). So that is what drives my curiosity about a new open cantilevered solar canopy design. We know a solar canopy and stationary batteries are coming, but just how it's going to be done remains a design mystery.

The video from Chriz seems to show his car charging at one of the portable SC, and the pictures from NoMoGas show the charger cabinets open. Before we declare the new chargers operational, it would be best to see photos of actual charging at the new stations.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear, will be there Tuesday northbound, Wednesday southbound. Chili's for breakfast and lunch
In October I am planning to get a range charge at Barstow a trip into AZ, NM, and CO. I will get a meal at Chili's, but their web site shows that they open at 11 am, which is late for breakfast.

Primm, next? It's better for Barstow capacity than more stalls in Barstow, especially for the 60s crowd!

Primm is really mandatory if this popular route is to be used by 60s. It may also reduce charging time at Barstow as fewer people would need to range charge. Those last few RMs are really, really slow to add.

Again, if a SpC was added near Ontario, then some 85s could skip Barstow entirely, hit Primm, spend a couple of days losing money on the strip, come back to Primm on the way home, skip Barstow again and hit Ontario. Anyway, these additional SpC options are just that: optional. Primm is mandatory and if it wasn't for the Zappos thingy, probably should have come before Vegas.

Not to mention a SC at Primm would eliminate the need to stop in Vegas to charge (with an 85) to and from St. George, unless I15 is closed due to flooding :(

Getting off and back onto the freeway system from the Las Vegas Supercharger is a pain.

Got a call while between Barstow and Las Vegas on route to St George: I-15 is CLOSED between prox Loganville and Moape (sp). If kid hadn't phoned me, I'd still be hundreds of miles out in boondocks. Looked up NDOT news and videos and freeway may be closed both north and south for many days.