Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there about 3 weeks ago and got ~30kW at one stall. I moved to the only other available stall and got about 45 kW. I usually avoid this station unless it's early in the morning or late at night since the speeds seem to be better then.
Only getting ~30 kW is perfectly normal and expected (traditional) supercharger behavior when you are plugging in second to a paired stall. So, when a location is very busy, you can expect to get speeds like that a lot of the time. It isn't that the speeds are time dependent. It's that they depend on whether the paired stall is occupied and what rate that car is already charging at. Of course, early morning and late night is when you're most likely to get an unpaired stall.

Note: This behavior isn't the same at an urban supercharger where you're going to get up to 72 kW max regardless of how full the station is.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Only getting ~30 kW is perfectly normal and expected (traditional) supercharger behavior when you are plugging in second to a paired stall. So, when a location is very busy, you can expect to get speeds like that a lot of the time. It isn't that the speeds are time dependent. It's that they depend on whether the paired stall is occupied and what rate that car is already charging at. Of course, early morning and late night is when you're most likely to get an unpaired stall.

Note: This behavior isn't the same at an urban supercharger where you're going to get up to 72 kW max regardless of how full the station is.

I should have clarified - I was there for over an hour at the mall waiting for my car to charge. At no point did the charge increase by more than a few kW. If it was simply the paired stall sucking up the juice, the charge rate would have increased after 20 mins or so when the other stall started to taper. These stalls are definitely troublesome.

Burbank worked fine for me last August a week after I got my Raven. It added 140 rated miles in 20 minutes and 182 miles in 30 minutes. This morning , unpaired, it took 35 minutes to add 140 miles and 52 minutes to add 182 miles. Both of these charge sessions started around 20% SoC. No wonder it's full so much of the time operating at barely half the speed it should. There are also 3 stalls out of order.

Finally a normal charge session at Burbank Saturday morning: 184 rated miles added in 30m minutes, max 133kW charge rate. For the previous month I was starting to believe Burbank was a de facto urban charger as it wasn't getting past 70kW.

The next Burbank Supercharger will most likely be installed at the Empire Center. I have seen permits related to electrical supply at the location and it leads me to believe Tesla will file permits at the same address.

94E53976-A083-4EDE-9960-485F0420132A.jpeg

I guess it takes rain and super cold temperatures to see Burbank Supercharger kind of empty.