Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA - Marketplace Dr. (LIVE Jun 2023, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I saw reports elsewhere (either on this forum or on PlugShare) that Tesla was retrofitting some v3 sites for upcoming compatibility with other automakers that will begin using these stations with an adapter or native NACS. Maybe they are doing the same thing here?
A Tesla tech working on a supercharger told me that ALL v3s are being retrofitted for non-Teslas with NACS plugs.

Part of the problem with non-Teslas is they will need the supercharger to keep track of the amount of electricity dispensed. With Teslas, the car keeps track of that, but it obviously won't be possible for Tesla to get that data from non-Tesla EVs.

A Tesla tech working on a supercharger told me that ALL v3s are being retrofitted for non-Teslas with NACS plugs.

Part of the problem with non-Teslas is they will need the supercharger to keep track of the amount of electricity dispensed. With Teslas, the car keeps track of that, but it obviously won't be possible for Tesla to get that data from non-Tesla EVs.
The problem with this theory in relation to these permits is that magic dock sites are getting this retrofit. If non teslas don’t keep track, how are they charged at magic dock sites currently? And if these measurement devices are part of magic docks, why are they opening permits for this service for those sites?

The problem with this theory in relation to these permits is that magic dock sites are getting this retrofit. If non teslas don’t keep track, how are they charged at magic dock sites currently? And if these measurement devices are part of magic docks, why are they opening permits for this service for those sites?
Do they really need modified hardware to keep track of the amount of power? And what exactly would that hardware do?

One of a charger's main jobs is to adjust the power into the battery on the fly (and it's why we constantly tell people that the box on their garage wall is an EVSE, not a charger). The supercharger already knows the information since it's a fundamental job requirement. Tracking it on a per car basis seems like nothing more than a software enhancement to accumulate the the data and report it.

I would believe though that they need updated hardware to do the communication. NACS cars speak the CCS protocol, not the proprietary TPC protocol. Your Tesla needs the CCS enabled hardware to charge at a CCS site, so why wouldn't the charger need that as well? I thought that V3 chargers already had that, but maybe they merely have an upgrade path that the V2 chargers do not have.

Do they really need modified hardware to keep track of the amount of power? And what exactly would that hardware do?

One of a charger's main jobs is to adjust the power into the battery on the fly (and it's why we constantly tell people that the box on their garage wall is an EVSE, not a charger). The supercharger already knows the information since it's a fundamental job requirement. Tracking it on a per car basis seems like nothing more than a software enhancement to accumulate the the data and report it.

I would believe though that they need updated hardware to do the communication. NACS cars speak the CCS protocol, not the proprietary TPC protocol. Your Tesla needs the CCS enabled hardware to charge at a CCS site, so why wouldn't the charger need that as well? I thought that V3 chargers already had that, but maybe they merely have an upgrade path that the V2 chargers do not have.
Apparently the Superchargers manage everything you said except measuring kWh into the car as they have always had the car to calculate and report the amount, or so people smarter than me have pointed on. Since other makes don't communicate with Tesla mothership, they are installing these "energy meters" to report when CCS cars charge. It being tied to the junction box makes sense as it will measure current going to each individual post.

Teslas measure their own energy and handle billing with the mothership. Non-Teslas do not. In order to bill accurately, Tesla needs to install current transducers on the Supercharger posts. There may or may not be additional component changes required in the cabinets. Non-Teslas are billed through the Tesla app with information collected from the charging equipment.